Start motor not engaging

Adzy

I know startermotors have been covered millions times. 

But after going 4WD few months back through loads of water even had whole bonnet under. The rest of the day was fine but tried to start next day and starter would not engage. 

Pulled it out, manually worked it free the part that pops in and out as it was very stiff. not tech savy sorry. Re-installed and hadn't had a dramer for another 3 months. Yesterday did same loads of water all over car wheel depth, also bogged to chassie for few hour's in mud. Today it wont engage again. 

Could it be wiring issue and pulling it out last time may have helped, doesnt explain the stiffness though. Thinking water is the culprit :(

Would rather not pull it out and stuff with it if there is an easy solution. 

Sorry so long thought id explain properly.

Car has 40,000km on it 2014 lux 

Edited by Adzy

Any salt water?

Otherwise it is either full of water or other debris; possibly corrosion.

The thing that throws out is called the "pinion".

As much as you don't want to pull it out and mess with it; it is probably the only long term option.

Water is the almost the worst thing you can subject metal and electrical components to. The more you drive through water, the less reliable your ute will become.

I have a strong feeling that your alternator could be one of the next things to fail. I have seen this before, check for sticks, mud, etc.

The easy solution is don't drive through/get bogged in water. Unfotunately it is the risk vs reward of 4WDing through water.

Yeah salt lakes in Kalgoorlie W.A :( 

I thouraly wash it everyone on ramps but can never get whats gone in while operational.  

Thank you very much for your info, ill rip the bugger out tomorrow morning and free it up again. Do you know ir there is any wayer proofing methods that'll help? 

The design of a starter motor does not work well with waterproofing as they usually have a breather and a bearing(pinion end) that water will enter.

You may need to open it up and give it a hit with some electrical contact cleaner and potentially lubricate the pinion shaft with a small amount of grease/oil.

Assess the damage as you go.

Exactly what i had to do last time with the contact cleaner.  Didnt know i could use abit of grease. Fantastic idea thanks. 

Bugger about the waterproofing thanks for the advice cheers mate.