Hydraulic Engine Mount for v6 Camry Touring sedan

virginia63

well let's see if he comes up with one here in oz. he also agrees that picture error is notoriously common worldwide. i can't really afford to go around changing my mounts time and again, but if i want to keep this car running for the next xxx years it might pay to have the correct mount installed at some point. i'm still thinking the one i have in there now may be the wrong height, but as i said i'm getting all the mounts checked at my next service.

the lesson i've learned here is a hard one because unless you have a regular mechanic all of them are a risk. i think where i went wrong was to let price influence me, that being said dearer isn't always better.

On 08/04/2017 at 2:50 PM, virginia63 said:

so your v6 auto car hasn't done many k's. is it a touring model? is the mount hydraulic or solid do you know? you can tell underneath if it has a soft rubber cup or a solid metal base.

Wow - hasn't this thread taken off !

@virginia63 It's the update 2001 Azura supposedly with the same firmer suspension setup as the Touring model but it's auto. It's only just ticked over 85K genuine kms. Just took another look at my car, the mount looks identical to yours covered by a soft rubber boot, no locating lug, held in place @ head by a bolt & 3 at foot & indeed has the soft rubber cup/boot at the bottom - hydraulic right ? Odd they say the Touring suspension being sporty/firm as I find it floaty, easily bothered by strong crosswinds & somewhat unsafe for my liking, it's usually OK I guess. Certainly not as firm as my dads ACV36 Sportivo & my 86 is go-cart in comparison.

The manual V6 Touring was supposedly quite the "sleeper" in the range with a 5speed manual gearbox was definitely quite handy in a str8 line - it's quick! Not sure how many were sold.

You need to be almost 100% certain the part # you have is indeed the correct one before purchasing from the States. The Yanks prefer softer suspension whereas us Aussies like the firmer Euro setup so there may be variations in part, often our cars are typically setup for us only & done locally, I wouldn't be surprised if those mounts were made here. Personally if the car feels similar I would just leave it & call it a day.

• Like 1

@ZZT86 the azura looks just like mine but better. does yours have that dual tone paint job? not sure if i'm seeing right but the interior looks leather in one of those pics? that's what let's mine down, grandpa car on the inside. must be in good nik with such low mileage, have you had it since new?

the guy at mackay consolidated that i spoke with yesterday says he has solid mounts for an auto T/series like ours and they have the soft rubber cup underneath. he tells me the rubber cup doesn't necessarily denote lubricant filled, although he says even the solid ones can sometimes have a minimal amount of fluid in them. i don't know what to think anymore to be honest.

the mount i have in it now definitely pulls the car down more to the road and i find it actually feels better. but i too found it to be 'floaty' prior to all this, however, i don't know if that was down to a worn mount or just the fact that it was a hydro. my old mount is definitely a hydro as i watched rather a lot of oil pour out from it, over the mechanic's bench, and even now the insides of the plastic bag that its in is seeped in it. as you say i'm tempted to just call it a day but my concern is the mount height and the engine lean. i've been told it's no drama for now but ideally it ought to have the correct mount and we're trying to find out the specific differences between auto and manual front mounts in that series. the guy at Mackay is keen to find out even for his own benefit as it's obviously quite a grey area and he may come up with this query again in the future. 

The Azura in the MCV20R was the top of the range although it doesn't look it, but to it's credit it is a 16 year old design. The car is in very good condition, great engine. It doesn't have the two-tone or sunroof extras. Interior has climate control, part leather electric seats yada yada but doesn't have a mist function on wipers ! I purchased it recently after my godfather passed away, he had it since new & hardly used it. It's now my daily.

Did Toyota say it was definitely a hydraulic mount ? The biggest difference I'm guessing is improved insulation from engine vibes. The solid one would be harsher. The cars springs & dampers overall are still too soft imho but that's how it is unless changed. I know a few ppl @ Toyota Tech Div who could possibly help if I asked. Let me know. I'll post a pic of my Azura later.

Azura.JPG

Edited by ZZT86
Pic
  • Like 1

it's up to you if you want to ask your friends. i think adding the extra info to this thread is helpful in terms of future reference for anyone facing a similar situation. the information out there is not immediately forthcoming, and can even be misleading. It takes concerted effort to get to the bottom of it, and we're not even there yet. 

When I spoke with toyota they too weren't sure of the type of mount standard to my car. they seemed on the right track though, thinking it was a solid mount and that the auto/manual may differ in the securing brackets, which btw, these brackets did fit. i'm increasingly thinking the auto/manual difference might be in the 'thick' as opposed to 'narrow' tubes of the mount. i haven't seen the cradle under the mount in an auto car, so i can't say.

so got another call back from rob at mackay's and after working on this for several hours and calling toyota for oem #s etc he has managed to update their database for the Camry V6 Touring model parts. Turns out they have the parts, they make them I think but the website/list wasn't updated [not very good right?].

Anyhow this is the link for the engine parts and you'll see that he has pics and listing for the various auto/manual components. they don't sell to public but if i call repco or burson spares etc and quote the mackay part # as per this page then that's what i should get. he says I should pay under $100, around the 80-90 he would expect but it depends what the parts store wants to charge me. so there we have it, mystery solved. solid mounts for touring cars and different styles for auto/manual. why mine had a hydro in it i don't know but he says sometimes the solid mounts have a certain amount of fluid in them. he also said their mounts for the touring car has the soft rubber cup underneath just like mine did. 

note: he's yet to discover the correct part for the rear manual engine mount but they have the one for auto listed.

http://www.mackayrubber.com.au/content/online-catalogue-search/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Wow - hasn't this thread taken off !

@virginia63 It's the update 2001 Azura supposedly with the same firmer suspension setup as the Touring model but it's auto. It's only just ticked over 85K genuine kms. Just took another look at my car, the mount looks identical to yours covered by a soft rubber boot, no locating lug, held in place @ head by a bolt & 3 at foot & indeed has the soft rubber cup/boot at the bottom - hydraulic right ? Odd they say the Touring suspension being sporty/firm as I find it floaty, easily bothered by strong crosswinds & somewhat unsafe for my liking, it's usually OK I guess. Certainly not as firm as my dads ACV36 Sportivo & my 86 is go-cart in comparison.

The manual V6 Touring was supposedly quite the "sleeper" in the range with a 5speed manual gearbox was definitely quite handy in a str8 line - it's quick! Not sure how many were sold.

You need to be almost 100% certain the part # you have is indeed the correct one before purchasing from the States. The Yanks prefer softer suspension whereas us Aussies like the firmer Euro setup so there may be variations in part, often our cars are typically setup for us only & done locally, I wouldn't be surprised if those mounts were made here. Personally if the car feels similar I would just leave it & call it a day.

I changed my struts all around recently and put KYBs on the Camry. Same year as above. The kybs come from the USA. The Touring has stiffer struts all around.

I also changed my timing belt 4 years ago. I have the V6 auto, 2001 Touring. Never came close to taking the radiator out. But the water pump I left out, it required removing cam sprockets to remove the pump. I ordered a timing belt kit from California for $250 delivered to my door, all parts made by reputable manufacturers. The kit has 11 parts. Priced locally the parts were $600 and I would have had to go to 4 stores around Melbourne to get the parts. Sounds like V63 ran into a slouchy mechanic.

• Like 1

@joeallen I know about the KYB's dampers. Do they feel any different to stock or just a compatible replacement? Suspect not much difference & that the springs are too soft, either that or my dampers are on their way out.

Yes I know about getting parts from the US & a few years ago would have been real dandy as the exchange rate was awesome, not so now. Still a much better deal though & worth looking into. I received just the other day a funnel specifically made for the 1MZ-FE which screws into this engines cam cover with seal to allow for easy oil pouring without spilling - great product & well made too https://www.asttool.com/detail_page.php?from_search=y&tool_number=OFTOY1001&total=41&offset=0&stype=advanced&manf=Toyota,Lexus.

I have already sourced & recently stocked up on a new genuine water pump (from Lexus dealer in US) as it will definitely need replacing in about 65K kms when the timing belt gets done, don't have all the tools for that so I will get my m8 mechanic to do it & I can assist if he likes. He has seen many of these cars before.

@virginia63 correct me if I'm wrong but you're female ? If so then wow ! You're quite knowledgable about cars & mechanics, good on you. Most girls have no idea nor care, now if only I could find me a woman like that I'd be delighted :)

• Like 1

On 11/04/2017 at 7:19 PM, joeallen said:

....Sounds like V63 ran into a slouchy mechanic.

i do regret choosing him and i should've known better. unfortunately i didn't do all my regular checks and balances, one of those times that i took a gamble and lost.

23 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

@virginia63 correct me if I'm wrong but you're female ? If so then wow ! You're quite knowledgable about cars & mechanics, good on you. Most girls have no idea nor care, now if only I could find me a woman like that I'd be delighted :)

lol. i bet there's more around than you realise as we just don't know anything about the people we walk past every day. 

i had another spot of bother with my car today grr. engine failed at the lights, called roadside assist and they tell me it's the fuel pump. car miraculously decides to start up again, so i try driving it home only to break down again a mile up the road ha ha. had to get a tow and this new mechanic that's been helping me is checking it out tomorrow. he thinks it could be a number of things, maybe even the fuel filter. and here's where the story takes on an interesting twist. Ol mate rogue mechanic says he had to take out the fuel filter to do the timing belt. then he tells me he decided to put a new one in free of charge. So I ask him: 'why? the current filter was only changed 4 months ago at the last service?' [he says he just thought he'd put a new one in while he had the old one out cause he says the old one was looking a little dirty.] that seemed suss to me, why would he do that? surely the old one was okay. then tonight i'm thinking, had he damaged that too during the timing belt fiasco? 

@ZZT86 but thank you! I appreciate the compliment. It comes from when I was a small girl and used to crawl under my dad's car with him and pass him his tools. I thought about becoming a mechanic's apprentice as a teenager but my mum had other ideas, unfortunately... i'd be able to fix my own cars now and wouldn't have these dramas with cowboys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, virginia63 said:

it's the fuel pump. car miraculously decides to start up again, so i try driving it home only to break down again a mile up the road

Sounds similar to my experience with the electric fuel pump on my Honda Accord from many years ago,

Your new mechanic may be able to tell whether the fuel filter has been recently replaced.

I reckon that Mr Rogue is also full of "waste material" knowing that it is unlikely that you are going to crawl under the car to confirm his "nice guy" story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3hEqkqc7sQ

Not sure on these cars but the fuel filter could be in the tank :rolleyes:

Edit: just saw above link 😏👍

Edited by ZZT86

Haha - makes me wonder whether the mechanic actually knew what he was doing or if he just took you for a ride.

Yep fuel filter is under hood not in tank as on newer cars as a complete serviceable assembly.

Fuel_1MZ-FE.png

According to the receipt he gave me he changed the fuel filter. uAlso, I just got a message from the new mechanic; my car arrived there just before and he said it was running again this morning at the tow yard. The roadside assist guy told me yesterday (and I think it was said in an earlier post^) that fuel pumps have a habit of dying and resurrecting before stopping completely? Then again, apparently there are another couple of things that can cause this. I just hope we get to the bottom of it. I haven't felt confident getting in it ever since I bought him it home from Mr rogue. [edit- strikethrough]

Edited by virginia63

Just called some retailers for a price on that mount from Mackay and these are the quotes I got [part is located at Moorabbin Vic, & I'm in Vic]:
Supercheap $132 to pick up at my local store (they don't charge freight)
Repco $189 including freight (from NSW apparently)
Burson $153.95 +freight to my local store

@ZZT86 car looks great. were there many of those made? always in high demand good originals like that.

edit: that youtube link is for the american camry LE. I'm not sure how it is for standard camrys here but in my model it is in fact in the tank but also has an access point under my back seat. the allianz guy lifted the seat for me last night and showed me. sorry i forgot about that. as i said i've become brain dead what with all these break downs and continued expenses :unsure:

Edited by virginia63

AFAIK only the parts detailed in the graphic screenshot above are in the tank of the MCV20R, pretty sure the fuel filter is mounted just behind the air box under hood. The newer ACV36 Camry's have the whole enchilada in the tank, the filter is a moulded canister which holds all the components shown above together. To remove you would take back seat cushion off & access it via a service hole & dismantle the whole bloody thing being extra careful not to damage the sender/receiver/float unit. Mr "Rouge" probably dropped the fuel pump and/or not connected it all properly & screwed the poor thing. I think you need to send "Mr Rogue" the damage bill :/

1 hour ago, ZZT86 said:

AFAIK only the parts detailed in the graphic screenshot above are in the tank of the MCV20R, pretty sure the fuel filter is mounted just behind the air box under hood.

so the part in the screenshot above named 'fuel pump filter' seems to attach to the pump itself. only reason i know the pump is in the boot is cause the allianz technician lifted the back seat and showed me the access point. i didn't ask him about the fuel filter, is that a different filter to this fuel 'pump' filter? 
edit- how are you loading your pics? are you using an external hosting site?

Edited by virginia63

That one attached to the pump which never gets changed is the strainer filter which is a corse filter not the fine fuel filter we're talking about.

With attachments there is the option to drag or select files below the text box you're writing in.

Edited by ZZT86

the new mechanic spent several hours on it today looking for the problem and in the end he found faulty wiring under the rocker cover. wiring that had been roughly taped together at some point. the rogue mechanic tried to take that cover off to do the gaskets but couldn't get one of the bolts undone so he told me he just flipped the top over or around or something. i'm told the taped wiring in there looks like it's been there a while so i'm guessing mr rogue has disturbed what was originally a botchy job. the new mechanic opened it all up, tidied the wiring, and soldered it all together. 3 hours labour including time spent trying to locate the problem. he says the car is running well now. i hope this is the end of this saga.

(i must've used up all my allowable pics in this thread because that option you mention has vanished.)

6 hours ago, virginia63 said:

(i must've used up all my allowable pics in this thread because that option you mention has vanished.)

There is no limit.

I just did a quick check via the edit option on your post and it still has the attachments option. Once attached you need to press the black plus symbol on the image in order to add it into the body of the text.

20170413_224931.thumb.png.578f9a79c4cae574290368e28e25873a.png

20170413_224846.thumb.png.06e34f01b8cdd101f9b5136f83425ca4.png

@virginia63  Oh no, not the wiring to the coilpacks ? These cars must be virtually "bombproof" cos there's so many of them still on the roads it's incredible. Your V6 with 170K odd kms has plenty of life left in it.

On 13/04/2017 at 1:39 AM, campbeam said:

I reckon that Mr Rogue is also full of "waste material" knowing that it is unlikely that you are going to crawl under the car to confirm his "nice guy" story.

well it turned out to not be the fuel filter after all but yes, that was my worry when all this started to unfold that how on earth would i even know what he did or didn't do. once you come up against someone dishonest and unscrupulous like that it can leave you completely at their mercy. i'm really sad to have had that encounter and i'm angry that there are people out there who would intentionally hurt others for their own gain. it's unsportsmanlike and very troublesome to an idealistic person like me. anyway, moving on ...

13 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

@virginia63  Oh no, not the wiring to the coilpacks ? These cars must be virtually "bombproof" cos there's so many of them still on the roads it's incredible. Your V6 with 170K odd kms has plenty of life left in it.

it was the igniter circuit, he ran the car on the computer diagnosis thing after trying out the obvious mechanical avenues to no avail. i have a few pics he gave me & will upload them when i work this out with t/meyer

16 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

There is no limit.

I just did a quick check via the edit option on your post and it still has the attachments option. Once attached you need to press the black plus symbol on the image in order to add it into the body of the text.

i had that available in my initial posts but i only have the yellow box there now, with 'insert existing' and 'insert from url' options. the 'click to choose files' words with the slide-pin icon isn't there anymore.
edit: i'd take a screenshot to show you but .... he he

Edited by virginia63

• 1 year later...
On 4/11/2017 at 9:51 PM, ZZT86 said:

@joeallen Which timing belt kit did you get & has it been good so far ? Is it quiet or has it been noisy? Have heard some US belts to be noisy which is not desirable. Cheers.

The kit had 11 parts, all sourced from Japan or US. Water pump was chinese. The belt is quiet. Original belt was in fairly decent shape. I put the wp in later as it required a lot more disassembly of the motor. The kit was from a California supplier on ebay. I hope the reply is not too late.