Camshaft has come apart

Ixian

I don't know what part of the camshaft this is called (circled in first image - maybe someone can tell me) but the cover over the spring at the front of motor on the end of the camshaft had come away and machined the mark in the valve cover circled in the second photo. This is on the camshaft closest to the front of the car. 

Basically I was pulling the valve cover off because all the baffles were blocked and the car was smoking - thing filled a big catch can (500ml) on the PCV hose in about 400 km on the highway. The car is off the road for now because I am waiting on a water pump (mine has a leak). The car sometimes, maybe one in 20 morning starts has the VVTI rattle. I was wondering if this could of knocked this piece out of of place. I was able to pry it back (also nudged it with a block of wood and mallet) but I think it's probably just going to come away again, I did drive it for 20 km and it's stayed in place so far. Anyway to fix this permanently without taking the chain off?

Any help/advice would be great!

2017-04-14 09.42.04-1.jpg

2017-04-14 09.40.33-1.jpg

Edited by Ixian

By the looks of the pics the exhaust cam has shifted sideways into the valve cover and has it also marked the head?

I would say the camshaft may require replacing or removal at minimum to repair.

I would be very reluctant to reuse that valve cover as well.

7 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

By the looks of the pics the exhaust cam has shifted sideways into the valve cover and has it also marked the head?

Thanks, the whole cam didn't shift, the camshaft timing gear assembly actually came apart, the area circled had popped out, in the photo I had already "repaired" it. However you are right, looks like I need a whole new gear assembly, so that's cam out.

Yeah the valve cover is stuffed, I'll need a new one and I'll need some way to check if the same has happened in the rear bank. At this point I'm just tempted to seek out a good wrecker motor, this thing hasn't been looked after at all.

Is there anyway to remove the exhaust cam without removing the timing chain cover. Can the chain between the cams be broken and rejoined (like a bike chain can)?

36 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Sorry also forgot - yes head is marked sadly, not as badly as the cover however - think the cover is a softer alloy.

1 hour ago, Ixian said:

Is there anyway to remove the exhaust cam without removing the timing chain cover. Can the chain between the cams be broken and rejoined (like a bike chain can)?

No direct experience but from my research I have assumed that it is a disassembly. Apparently, the timing chains have a life of 200,000+ kms.

Toyota and Lexus 3 Engine Timing Chain Fitment Marks.doc

You may have already done a Google search and identified the attached Timing Chain Instructions. After reading these instructions, you will have to determine whether it is feasible to access the No.2 chain tensioner and lock it in position with a 1mm allen key etc.Otherwise, it looks like a big dismantle job to remove the No.1 timing chain.

It was mentioned in another thread about diagnosing the underlying cause for the problem. Suggest that you read all of the attachments first, diagnose the cause then consider your repair options.

Timing Chain Sprockets 3 Removal Installation.docx

5 hours ago, Ixian said:

At this point I'm just tempted to seek out a good wrecker motor, this thing hasn't been looked after at all.

In all honesty, I think this may be the best option. Once you start getting the parts together, it will add up very quickly.

Unfortunately it will be expensive either way, but unless you can afford a catastrophic failure on the side of the road, it may be the only option.

As you said, it hasn't been looked after well, so there may be further damage that you are not aware of due to poor maintenance.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

You may have already done a Google search and identified the attached Timing Chain Instructions. After reading these instructions, you will have to determine whether it is feasible to access the No.2 chain tensioner and lock it in position with a 1mm allen key etc.Otherwise, it looks like a big dismantle job to remove the No.1 timing chain.

It was mentioned in another thread about diagnosing the underlying cause for the problem. Suggest that you read all of the attachments first, diagnose the cause then consider your repair options.

Timing Chain Sprockets 3 Removal Installation.docx

Thanks, that's awesome. Looks like it's engine out, if I pull the engine I'm just going to be putting a wrecker engine in.

6 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

In all honesty, I think this may be the best option. Once you start getting the parts together, it will add up very quickly.

Unfortunately it will be expensive either way, but unless you can afford a catastrophic failure on the side of the road, it may be the only option.

As you said, it hasn't been looked after well, so there may be further damage that you are not aware of due to poor maintenance.

Yeah, thanks, sure does look that way.

If anyone ever comes across a similar issue in the future, it is possible to remove the camshafts on this car without removing the engine:

I decided against this route, new timing gear for the one camshaft was $430. I'm not really interested in spending that on top of what I would need to spend time and money wise to restore the engine.

After looking at the video, engine exchange or changing vehicles look very attractive options.

Lexus IS350 would be on my shopping list just for easier maintenance access.