2008 Camry Alternator

Jude M

I am from north melbourne near to Greensborough. I have 2008 Camry Altise automatic. I bought this used car from certified toyota. There was a sound coming when I give the accelerator and take off the accelerator. I have been to toyota service center and they advised me to change the alternator and they gave me a quote of $1000. I bought this car from a certified toyota Camberwell dealer. I was doing all the services from toyota authorised service center Canon toyota . I just completed the warranty and problem started with alternator. Ripping off the customers money specifying certified toyota car.

Do I need to spend $1000 to change the alternator. Can anyone suggest a good place to change the alternator.  Please give your valuable suggestions..

Thanks

Would be best to get a 2nd opinion from an auto electrician to confirm that it is the alternator.

Have you contacted your local Consumer Affairs office to determine whether it is possible to make a warranty claim even though the warranty period has just expired?

Have you already contacted the dealer that sold you the vehicle and tried to make a warranty claim?

You could also contact Toyota Australia Customer Service and see if they can assist.

If you need to replace the alternator at your own expense, determine the existing brand [Bosch or Denso].

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alternator-to-Toyota-Camry-Altise-Ateva-Sportivo-AVC40R-eng-2AZ-FE-2-4L-02-09-/271684625713?fits=Year%3A2008|Make%3AToyota|Model%3ACamry&hash=item3f41aa6531:g:6XMAAOSwubRXJe2N

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alternator-for-Toyota-RAV4-ACA22R-ACA23R-engine-2AZ-FE-2-4L-Petrol-03-06-/271245649287?fits=Year%3A2008|Make%3AToyota|Model%3ACamry&hash=item3f27802587:g:dSIAAOSwiYFXJe1X

• Like 1

Alternators aren't a part of any servicing schedule. 

They wouldn't have known until you did.

They aren't ripping you off regarding the alternator failure, parts fail. You can buy non-genuine alternators far cheaper. 

• Like 1

Thanks Antik for your opinion. I have been to Bell Auto Electrical and he recommended me to repair it for around $230, so that I can keep the original on the car.

I think I can go with that option. What do you say.

Thanks Ashley for your suggestions. I have been to the toyota service center canon and Camberwell Toyota. Since the warranty got expired, they are not even minding this problem.  I spoke and gave feedback to toyota company and they dont have any responsibility what a dealer is doing.

Do you think the consumer affairs will take any positive decision if it is not under warranty.

8 minutes ago, Jude M said:

Do you think the consumer affairs will take any positive decision if it is not under warranty.

No.

It is simply a cost owning a car out of warranty, factory new car warranties are generally only 3 years. The car is 9 years old, it is to be expected.

If you want the luxury of warranty on (almost)everything, you will pretty much need to buy a new car every 3 years(or longer with extended warranty).

Once that runs out, unfortunately you are on your own again.

Just pay the $230 to have the alternator rebuilt.

• Like 1

Hi Trent,  I bought 2008 model camry from Camberwell toyota and I paid around extra $1000 to maintain the warranty and to get capped price servicing. In order to maintain this warranty, the condition was to service the vehicle on every six months. I was not knowing the Camry needs to service only on every 9 months only. I paid extra money if it was a major service. if we look for last three years, serviced on every six months for $200 is $1200 + $1000 = $2200 + Extra money for major services.

The other side is if I serviced on every 9 months, I could have done all these services as major worth rupees $500 each and still the total cost will be less than the above one ie max $2000.

After I bought the car I changed four tyres and battery. I just had 25000 km's in 3 years.

What I meant to tell you, don't believe these dealers used cars because they want only service money from customers. Now I feel that there was no use in servicing in an authorized service center. 

29 minutes ago, Jude M said:

Possibly depending upon how soon after the warranty expiring and the problem occurring e.g. 1 month.

30 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

The car is 9 years old, it is to be expected.

Agree. The unwanted and the unexpected calls on the wallet happen; welcome to the joys of motoring.

23 minutes ago, Jude M said:

Now I feel that there was no use in servicing in an authorized service center. 

Your choice until something goes wrong. Girlfriend was reminding me today of her experiences with unscrupulous "rip-off businesses; one replacing a good part with a damaged part [cost her $300 for the Toyota dealer to supply and fit a new replacement] and another one wanting to charge $500 if their diagnostic machine was able to identify the cause which it could not. Toyota dealer identified the issue as dirty fuel injectors and charged her $40. 

Service intervals are based upon time and distance travelled. The older your vehicle, the more servicing especially for preventative maintenance purposes. I am "old school" and DIY so I change oil and filter every 5,000KM despite what the manufacturer recommends. Just as well, I am not paying $100+ for each service.

1 hour ago, Jude M said:

Hi Trent,  I bought 2008 model camry from Camberwell toyota and I paid around extra $1000 to maintain the warranty and to get capped price servicing. In order to maintain this warranty, the condition was to service the vehicle on every six months. I was not knowing the Camry needs to service only on every 9 months only. I paid extra money if it was a major service. if we look for last three years, serviced on every six months for $200 is $1200 + $1000 = $2200 + Extra money for major services.

The other side is if I serviced on every 9 months, I could have done all these services as major worth rupees $500 each and still the total cost will be less than the above one ie max $2000.

After I bought the car I changed four tyres and battery. I just had 25000 km's in 3 years.

What I meant to tell you, don't believe these dealers used cars because they want only service money from customers. Now I feel that there was no use in servicing in an authorized service center. 

Servicing has nothing to do with the alternator.

Servicing(capped price) and warranty are two different things.

Warranty is the only thing that covers faulty parts and that has expired as you said above. You are now liable for those costs.

On 05/05/2017 at 11:28 PM, Jude M said:

Now I feel that there was no use in servicing in an authorized service center. 

I hope you realize you don't need to service the vehicle at a Toyota Service Center to keep warranty valid?

As long as services are carried out with genuine Toyota parts and filters (with proof and to schedule), warranty is valid. You don't even need to use Toyota motor oil. Any branded motor oil is fine as long as it meets OEM specs listed in the manual

Edited by antik