Potential Power Steering Issue

Hi everyone

I  looking at buying a vehicle and was going through the maintenance history when I spotted a power steering stop leak charge(done a year ago)

To get some information I rang the place that worked on the car and was able to find the owner the operator who looked through the records and told me that the stop leak was used to fix a leak and the stuff he used was proven(softened the seals)and at the recent check(road worthy) there were no leaks.

I asked him how often I would need to use the stuff and he said I just need to change the fluid and make sure its clean and I wouldn't have to.

Is it worth picking up this car or should I shop around. Would like some insights into costs involved in case there were repairs involved in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Steering stuff is generally fairly cheap to repair anyway. I probably wouldn't pass up an otherwise well maintained car if that was the only issue(depending on price).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Steering stuff is generally fairly cheap to repair anyway. I probably wouldn't pass up an otherwise well maintained car if that was the only issue(depending on price).

Yes everything else is fine with the vehicle(usual dings and scrapes). Service history seems complete.

How much do you recon the rack and pinion fix would be and a pump change. I'm guessing those are the things that would go wrong in the PS.

It very much depends on if you can do the work yourself and if you want to use genuine, reconditioned or aftermarket parts.

If you are changing everything, it will become expensive. A single component generally won't break the bank.

It is best to ring around and get quotes.

4 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

It very much depends on if you can do the work yourself and if you want to use genuine, reconditioned or aftermarket parts.

If you are changing everything, it will become expensive. A single component generally won't break the bank.

It is best to ring around and get quotes.

Don't think I have the tools to do the work myself. Will call around and check. Thanks

5 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

It appears to be a recall sticker.

Spot on mate. Went through the records and the airbag recall was done on this date. 

Purchased the car. 2004 Corolla Sedan.