2004 Toyota Corolla Conquest Ownership Diary

Kroeger

Hi Everyone,

I am starting this thread to document the ownership journey of my first car in Australia. 

I just purchased a preloved 2004 Toyota Corolla Conquest Sedan a couple of days ago.

As a first time car buyer I did involve a mechanic to go over the car while also checking the logs and giving the mechanic who worked on the car to find out what some of the repairs were done for and what can I expect and when. The previous mechanic confirmed that it was a trouble free and honest car. 

The car had done 1965xx kms already. But from research and speaking with mechanics I am told it can go on for more easily(I sure hope so).

With all that information and the test drive going through fine I took the plunge and got my "Rolla".

I have been posting stuff on a different thread but thought its time to document all my car stuff under one thread to make it accessible to anyone who looks for this make and model year car.

I request all the experienced and seasoned owners to share some ownership experiences and how to properly use this machine and care for it.

If I have parked this thread in the wrong place I request the moderators to move it accordingly.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Edited by Kroeger
Added Pictures

Coming to the niggles. The most annoying one so far is the clutch.It is really hard and makes an awful noise when engaged.

Can anyone tell me whats the issue here. Is it possible to lubricate this mechanism?

Video: 

Edited by Kroeger

That's probably the clutch fork pivot inside the bellhousing, very difficult to access.

Not the best video, but it gives you an idea of what needs to be done.

Ensure that the bare minimum grease is used to avoid spatter on the clutch assembly.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

That's probably the clutch fork pivot inside the bellhousing, very difficult to access.

Not the best video, but it gives you an idea of what needs to be done.

Ensure that the bare minimum grease is used to avoid spatter on the clutch assembly.

Horrible noise fixed. 

4 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Using the grease method?

Yes. There was an easier cheat. But chose to do a thorough job.

Edited by Kroeger

On 5/20/2017 at 8:47 PM, trentmeyer23 said:

Can you elaborate?

Use a syringe to grease the linkage inside without removing the boot and the clutch cylinder. It is a bit risky if done over zealously. That's why I followed the video

Edited by Kroeger

I need some information regarding car keys. When i bought the car it came with only 1 key which i found out is the valet key. Is there anyway or rather cheap way to get a spare key made and programmed. What kind of key would i need.I saw some keys online with some specific rage frequencies. How do I know what frequency does my car keys use. Is there any way to find out?

Also, is there a way to tell if my car is equipped with central locking.

Thanks

Edited by Kroeger

• 2 weeks later...

Have begun updating the car and adding stuff to make it better. 

Also met the first setback when adding the new plugs. Oil in the plug wells. New rocker cover gasket(Permaseal not Toyota added)

Few things added are

1)K&N stock replacement filter.

2)NGK Iridium IX plugs

3)Liqui-Moly MOS2

4)Liqui-Moly Fuel System Cleaner/Conditioner.

The joys of car ownership have begun 

• Like 1

Car has gone from having 4 tyres, each from different manufacturers and sizes to one manufacturer and same size tyres all around. 

Had two 185/60R15 and two 195/60R15 earlier. Now 195/60R15 Firestone F01 all round.

New tyres. The Firestone F01 bears an uncanny resemblance to the Bridgestone Turanza AR10. Maybe just rebranded since Bridgestone own Firestone. Not sure if they share the same compounds though.

Source: Comparison images from google.

IMG_20170615_134538.jpg

IMG-20170615-WA0023.jpeg

Screenshot_20170615-142557.jpg

Screenshot_20170615-142459.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

New Exedy OEM Replacement Clutch (TYK-7334) fitted to the car.

Extra soft clutch engagement :wub:

Also changed the rear main oil oil seal, genuine Toyota part used

Clutch Disk.jpg

Clutch Cover.jpg

Thrust Bearing.jpg

Fitting Items.jpg

Rear Main Oil Seal.jpg

Edited by Kroeger

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some feedback regarding brake rotors. 

How are RDA rotors? Was thinking of the RDA Dimpled slotted fronts and Solid Rears. 

Much thanks

6 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

RDA will be fine. You won't notice a difference.

Do the RDA ones wear out faster?

Having a bit of trouble finding the size of the front rotors. Apparently there were 255mm and 275mm ones that these cars were shipped with.

One way to check the size of the rotors is to remove a wheel and use a wooden ruler to measure the diameter. You should be able to readily determine whether it is 255mm or 275mm. If you want to be pedantically accurate, then you will have to remove the existing rotor and measure the back.

Yesterday, I had a look at some DBA vs RDA rotor reviews in different forums. Posts were quite divided and nothing conclusive. I have fitted slotted DBA front rotors to my 1998 Camry and was a bit surprised at the amount of wear after only 7,000 kms. I am sure that I fitted Bendix Ultimate brake pads and I am quite light on the brakes.

Anyway, I recently bought DBA front rotors for a Yaris with 195,000kms only to find that the current rotors [rusted on the outer rim] have hardly worn [21.5mm thickness vs 22mm new]. However brake pads are fairly worn down but probably have another 6mths life. My thoughts are that rotor wear is dependent upon quality, type of brake pad and driving style/requirements.

255 should be the standard size, 275 were the Sportivo brakes but I know some of the catalogues list the 275mm as an option for the ZZE122 for some reason (maybe as part of a towing kit or something? Facelift?  Jap vs South African built?)