Please Help, Camry Won't start

Toy2010

Hi guys,

I have a 2010 Toyota Camry automatic.

I tried to start the car several time this morning, but it wont start.

you can hear the car trying to start but it wont start.

while trying to start the car, the furthest icon on the left of the dashboard with the dripping oil icon glows red. 

However when i checked the dipstick it shows around 80% oil left

any idea why my Camry isn't starting?

thanks guys

Winter is coming. It could be the battery low on charge etc. If possible, try to jump start the vehicle.

Just did a quick Google search and some posts referred to cleaning the throttle body and also the throttle position sensor.

1 hour ago, Toy2010 said:

while trying to start the car, the furthest icon on the left of the dashboard with the dripping oil icon glows red. 

However when i checked the dipstick it shows around 80% oil left

This is completely normal, oil pressure lights etc stay on during cranking and only go off after the engine is running and the oil pump is generating pressure.

First step, battery.

Is it charged?

Are the terminals on correctly?

Does it have the correct level of electrolyte?

How old is it?

What exactly happens when you attempt to start it? Does it make clicking noise or wind very slowly?

Provide a video if you have the means.

He said he can hear the car trying to start (cranking?) so it isn't battery related, it's either fuel or ignition.

To rule out fuel, remove the air intake and spray some Start Ya Bast*rd into the throttle body to see if it will start. If it does it means your fuel pump is gone and if not then it's ignition related; plugs, coil packs, crank position sensor etc

Edited by antik

8 hours ago, antik said:

He said he can hear the car trying to start (cranking?) so it isn't battery related, it's either fuel or ignition.

Trying to start can mean a lot of things.

There is not enough info to rule the battery out yet.

13 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

First step, battery.

Is it charged?

Are the terminals on correctly?

Does it have the correct level of electrolyte?

How old is it?

What exactly happens when you attempt to start it? Does it make clicking noise or wind very slowly?

Provide a video if you have the means.

here is the video of my Camry not starting. 

the battery is only 2 years old

camry not start.mp4

Edited by Toy2010

Yep, battery Aziz ! I know ppl who kill their battery in 1 year due to neglect, car needs to be driven pretty much every day for say 20-30 minutes to charge it sufficiently. If you can get it jump started you will know.

Edited by ZZT86

Sounds like the starter is clicking due to low voltage. Battery age is not too important, but they can definitely fail after 2 years.

Try jump starting or changing the battery.

Did you replace the battery ot just recharged it?

SuperCheap have a 30% discount on Century 4WD and truck batteries. After a bit of online research, went for overkill and got the NS70LX MF [720 CCA and 85 Ah] instead of the NS70L MF [650 CCA] Both of these batteries are the same dimensions as the 55D23L for the Camry/Aurion. The existing 15 mth old extra heavy duty battery [only 420CCA] will be recycled into my 1998 4 cyl Camry. Just checked again but i could not notice any difference in ease of starting car with the new battery and extra CCA compared to the replaced battery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 0:20 PM, campbeam said:

Did you replace the battery ot just recharged it?

SuperCheap have a 30% discount on Century 4WD and truck batteries. After a bit of online research, went for overkill and got the NS70LX MF [720 CCA and 85 Ah] instead of the NS70L MF [650 CCA] Both of these batteries are the same dimensions as the 55D23L for the Camry/Aurion. The existing 15 mth old extra heavy duty battery [only 420CCA] will be recycled into my 1998 4 cyl Camry. Just checked again but i could not notice any difference in ease of starting car with the new battery and extra CCA compared to the replaced battery.

yeah just recharged it.

just wondering how do you pick the right battery? do you just look at the CCA rating?

also how much did you buy your new battery for BTW?

38 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Look at battery manufacturer catalogues, they will list the correct battery for the application.

Century Battery finder to determine the recommended batteries for your vehicle then look at the specifications for physical dimensions, Ah and CCA rating. Camry and Aurion had the same recommended batteries. Later when I looked at the Kluger [has same 2GR-FE engine as the Aurion] recommended batteries were different; higher CCA rating.

2 hours ago, Toy2010 said:

how do you pick the right battery?

Important to consider the physical dimensions so the battery will fit in the existing battery tray and the size/layout of the battery terminals to fit the existing battery cables. It was a personal choice to go for a battery with a higher Ah and CCA rating. As I previously said, this was "overkill".  I also found this article about different battery types useful.

2 hours ago, Toy2010 said:

how much did you buy your new battery

$174.30 [30% discount off $249] Other battery would have been $153.30 [30% discount off $219]. 

I am expecting this new battery to last at least 3 years, maybe 5 years to make the extra outlay worthwhile.

battery-talk-what-are-silvercalcium-batteries.pdf

Edited by campbeam
want to add attchment