2010 Toyota Camry - Upgrades/Mods/Improvements

CharlesByrom21

Hey everyone,

I'm the owner of a 2010 Toyota Camry Altise and I would just like to get some professional advice, ideas and opinions on what I could do to my Camry to make it run better and look better. So far, I've added alloy wheels and tinting, and I'm in love with the car. But I was just wondering if there is anything out there in the the market that I could do, without going broke, to improve engine performance/output? Is the exhaust system something worth changing? I would also like to know if xenon headlights and taillights, like the Audi xenon lights, are a possibility? And if so, where to get them as I don't really have a clue on where to look. Or maybe something alike them. To add to that, are fog lights worth adding? Plus, I wondering about where I could get a black mesh grille to replace the current one? As well as a OEM lip spoiler or an aftermarket one which is similar but maybe with more length/height. And last but not least, would anyone possibly be able to recommend a good quality head-unit, with touchscreen and maybe nav, and speakers that I could upgrade to? Thanks for your time, all help and advice is greatly appreciated. I hate to be a pain but I just want to get it right the first time so I don't blow money on rubbish and since, I honestly don't really know the compatibility, reliability or quality of such products and brands, or even where to get them. Anyone know a local car shop in Brisbane that could do it all for me? Are Repco or Autobarn good?

Cheers,
Charles

Edited by CharlesByrom21

Consider spark plug replacements if the car has done >100,000 kms. Use synthetic or semi-synthetic engine oil.

Changing headlights will most likely be illegal. Better off upgrading the existing halogen bulbs. Just remember the brighter the light, the shorter the life span.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/h7-499

Legal use of foglights is limited to fog, heavy rain so in my opinion better off upgrading the parking light bulbs or possibly adding driving lights. 

Current example of lip spoiler available on eBay. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-CAMRY-REAR-LIP-SPOILER-2007-2011-/322332884633?hash=item4b0c897e99:g:2pEAAOSwo4pYKAU5

• Like 1

With regards to engine performance. Unless you are going to throw a lot of money at it, don't bother.

CAIs and SRIs are not worth it unless you are purely after induction noise. You may even get a decrease in performance.

• Like 1

For performance, I upgraded my 1998 Camry with King Springs, Boge [now owned by Sachs] Shock Absorbers and a Ultra Racing brand front strut brace. Absolutely love the way how the car handles going through roundabouts.

• Like 1

Alright sweet, thanks both of you. That's what I needed to hear, I'm probably just going over the top. Yeah I reckon I will change the bulbs and go with that lip spoiler. And now that you have brought that up, I actually really like the idea of upgrading those now. I'll have to research and look into it, definitely like the sound of that. I'll have to find out where to get that done. You should see me though roundabouts, would help me for sure.

They have got good reviews in both Google and Facebook. One review mentioned a speed camera in a nearby 50kph zoned street. Sounds like it will be worthwhile talking with them and getting a quote.

• Like 1

Interested to know their recommendations for your Camry whether it is a combination of Sachs struts and King Springs or a different brand combination.

Will be handy for me and other members to know if/when we are considering doing a suspension upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

aftermarket standard height replacement for the coils

Interesting that the King Springs catalogue did not include standard height coils for your Toyota Camry.

Toyota Aurion in the King Springs Catalogue; KTFS-63 and KTRS-61 standard height coils

http://kingsprings.com.au/catalogue/vehicle/915/toyota-aurion-40-series-2006-2012

You could send an email enquiry to King Springs to clarify. Perhaps they have reservations/concerns about using standard height coils in the Camry

http://kingsprings.com.au/contact

• Like 1

Yeah I'll certainly contact them. Fulcrum Suspensions said that it will be "lowered about 1” below standard (keep in mind your vehicle is probably sagged a little from standard anyway). If your original springs are ok and the vehicle is not sagged we could re use the original coils." I'll have to wait for the reply from King Springs before I get back to them.

Edited by CharlesByrom21

I've heard about people changing their sway bars. Is this possibly an option? Would you reckon upgrading to some upgraded "thicker" sway bars would have any added benefits or advantages? And last question, I'm thinking of possibly changing the OEM grille to a mesh grille. What are your thoughts?

Edited by CharlesByrom21

There have been some recent posts in the Aurion Forum about sway bars and front strut bars.

From memory, the 19mm rear sway bar is the recommended "sweet spot".

I have also considered changing to a mesh grille but decided to leave as is; not enough benefit to me for the cost.

• Like 1

King Springs replied: "The Aurion  as far as I know had a V6, So yes the coils will fit but on your car you will need a slightly lower coil on the front to allow for the weight difference."

Fulcrum Suspensions replied: "I would be a little hesitant to use the Aurion coils in your 4cylinder Camry as they came out v6 so may be a little harsh in the front end. If you would like to give it a try we can."

Interesting dilemma. I think that this is where it is prefer to have standard profile tyres to help absorb the harshness of an upgraded harder suspension. From memory [not always perfectly accurate], the ride in my 1998 Camry was a bit harder at first then appeared to smooth out after a few weeks. Maybe I just got more used to the firmer ride but i think it was also the new struts and springs "settled"into position.

I also have a biased personal preference for retaining a vehicles standard height so it does not bottom out going over speed bumps etc.

More economical and low risk approach would be to reuse your existing stock springs if they are in good condition and upgrade the struts.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, campbeam said:

I also have a biased personal preference for retaining a vehicles standard height so it does not bottom out going over speed bumps etc.

Yeah, but that's boring.

• Like 1

Case of horses for courses. A lot of driveways into car parks are more like obstacle courses. Amusing and boring [to me] watching these lowered cars having to crawl their way slowly over speed bumps especially if they have body kits. Bad enough with standard height clearance. 

My Aurion already has a scrape mark on the front cross member and oil pan [from the previous owners] and for clearance has to have a paver in front of the car ramps.

I think that I am a recalcitrant at heart for some things, dislike speed bumps so I only slow enough so as not to damage suspension.

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't touch the Camry unless stuff was faulty or due for replacement, ie: dampers. Lowering 1-2" shouldn't be problem also but you will screw the cars ideal geometry up in addition to stiffening the whole enchilada for a bumpier ride. Put nice 18" alloy wheels & your car will look ace, but like I said there are trade-offs.

You could possibly swap out the HU for something like http://ca-fi.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=camry&product_id=314 or an Alpine ($$), not sure it's possible on those cars. It's all about how much you wana spend in the end, eg: HU is for starters, you could always go full hog & do amps, subs, splits, acoustic lining & deadening yada yada and this just sound !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

unless stuff was faulty or due for replacement

I have a similar approach window shopping / researching regularly and buying later when the need arises.  After a check/clean of the rotors and brake pads today, I expect that i will be replacing them in the next 18 mths. I have them already in my eBay watch list.  

• Like 2

Very interesting points here, I agree with you both, hahah. I'm currently looking into all options at the moment. I also asked Pedders Suspension Capalaba for their opinion, advice and recommendation. Here's what they thought: "please see pricing for upgraded suspension and brakes. I recommend and priced you on a coil over kit with ride height adjustment and 30 valve rate adjustments, so you can choose the height of the vehicle and adjust your level of comfort and handling. Also front lower control arm, rear bushes in urethane material to eliminate wheel movement on these bushes. Also front and rear sway bar D mount bushes to eliminate flex and engage the sway bars quicker with the brakes I have priced you on Geomet coded slotted rotars front and rear with bendix heavy duty front brake pads and Pedders rear brake pads the price is all up fitted, drive in drive out including a 4 wheel alignment, our product comes with a 2 year parts and labour nationwide warranty."

2 hours ago, CharlesByrom21 said:

I'm currently looking into all options at the moment.

Yes best to do your research first then decide what to do. Sometimes the best option is a wait and see approach.

Personally, I own all of my vehicles outright so my options are limited by my bank account balance and future plans. About a year ago, I was ready to proceed with the suspension upgrade on my 2006 Aurion but ended up buying a 2008 Aurion Prodigy which needed lots of TLC.