2003 Altise AC control illumination bulbs out

nzzr6

Just wondering if its possible to remove the bulbs out of the Air con control panel like the US camrys? There doesn't seem to be much information on the net about the Australian camrys. I've had it out but I can't see anywhere to remove the bulbs, and a wrecker has quoted $80 for a new panel. Don't really want to do that unless the bulbs are not replaceable. Would be great if anyone knows.

Thanks

Edited by nzzr6

7 hours ago, ZRCamry04 said:

It is possible i got my bulbs replaced, got it done at a car radio shop for $50 with new bulbs included.

Any idea what type of bulbs they are? I'd imagine jaycar will be about the only place that sells them. They're pretty tiny if I remember right

7 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

Any idea what type of bulbs they are? I'd imagine jaycar will be about the only place that sells them. They're pretty tiny if I remember right

Yes they are tiny, luckily he had some of those bulbs at his shop, but he said these bulbs can be only found at Toyota.

i have the same issue and i found the panel impossible to remove. theres the heater and cooler coils at the back that i couldnt remove. got the clip undone but then theres a wire inside i couldnt seem to disconnect. im sure the bulbs are available online, if you can get to them

5 hours ago, astol87 said:

i have the same issue and i found the panel impossible to remove. theres the heater and cooler coils at the back that i couldnt remove. got the clip undone but then theres a wire inside i couldnt seem to disconnect. im sure the bulbs are available online, if you can get to them

I've just done it, but not without using some of the choicest swear words known to man :)

You will need to remove the upper radio/vents fascia, and the radio itself. Unclip the electrical connectors  (theres one on top and one at the bottom), and then release the red and blue clips on the air circulation control and the thermostat by squeezing the top and sliding it off. Then remove the steel wires underneath the panel, by squeezing the stubs holding them on.

You cant remove that white plastic housing on the back, however you can unclip the fascia from the rest of the unit. This will allow you access to the other side of the circuit board, which will make it that little bit easier to guide the bulbs into the sockets (especially the ones with awkward access in the middle). I also managed to break a clip or two (I don't think the bulbs have been changed since the car was new - the old bulbs were blackened as hell, and the middle two were entirely missing).

Edited by nzzr6
  • Like 2

Also I just went to my dealer for the bulbs. They were only a couple of bucks each, so you may as well buy all 5 and replace the lot. Here's the part number you need: 831198Y008. Don't know if its the same for the Sportivo though. 

Edited by nzzr6
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sadly the only ebay seller (only aus based seller i can see) is newtowntoyota, selling them at $2.08ea with $10 shipping! ripoff! anyone know of other sellers? i need all 5

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X83119-8Y008.TRS0&_nkw=83119-8Y008&_sacat=0

3 hours ago, astol87 said:

sadly the only ebay seller (only aus based seller i can see) is newtowntoyota, selling them at $2.08ea with $10 shipping! ripoff! anyone know of other sellers? i need all 5

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2322090.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X83119-8Y008.TRS0&_nkw=83119-8Y008&_sacat=0

Does your local dealer not have them?

Your local Toyota should have these bulbs. if not, they can order them if for you.

I would recommend changing all 5 of the bulbs. That way the lighting brightness of all bulbs on the trim will be the same.