C-HR Head Unit

Southpatt

I purchased the tool from China... Could be here in a week or a month.

I would hard wire the unit in, but I would rather take my time and do it properly with the correct pins and plugs. 

I did the rounds trying to find some new pins, Toyota Spare Parts said the shell was about $30. A set of pins was about $100 or more, way too expensive.

One of the stereo installation companies said they only hard wire, I told them that is why they did not get my business, another said just buy an adapter cable that has the same square pins as the Toyota. I found a Mazda cable ($20) with the same type pins, so I will take the pins and crimped cables of the appropriate colours and join them to the Joying wires that do not have pins. I will end up with an easily removable adapter cable that looks neat tidy that can be disconnected in minutes if needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I repurposed the speak button as a mute button. Other than that all buttons retained their original functionality. If I can find a way to use the speak button for "OK Google" I would be extatic.

Total install time was less than an hour.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 2:40 PM, David Olive said:

Great install mate. Which fascia kit did you end up using for the USB port?

Thought I'd circle back to the forum since I ended up doing a little revision the other day.

The USB was a cheapo from eBay.  My memory is that I typed "Toyota USB port" into search and picked the one that was the correct shape.  I use a fuse tap to piggyback off some low importance fuse.

It lasted about 6 months before the power slot died.  I discovered it was burning out the fuse in the tap.  It wasn't a big problem as I still had the port connecting to the stereo.  A few months later that started to struggle and Apple Car Play was having all sorts of issues.

I pulled out the USB port last week and ran the Kenwood head unit USB extension cords down to the passenger footwell.  Getting power and syncing to Apple Car play without issue.