Corolla 2005 ZZE122R engine stutters

Hi,

I have corolla 2005 ZZE122R and I noticed that while idling (stop at lights, in traffic eg.) the engine stutters from time to time with uneven periods like every second - every 5 seconds then every two seconds. It seems like the engine is misfiring for short while - 1/2 second - and then runs well. I notice this for now only at idle. Would there be an indication what I might expect?

Thanks

Based upon a past experience, I would be cleaning and re-gapping or replacing the spark plugs. If the misfiring continues then the next item for consideration would be the ignition leads/coils.

Thanks Ashley,

I suspect then that it is the latter the blasted coils- plugs were replaced fairly recently. It would be weird for the plugs to cause this.

Ok will check it. Thanks

Ciao

Just remembered. Check the spark plug gap.

1 hour ago, zegarnek said:

plugs were replaced fairly recently

This may also be handy before parting with $$$ https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+test+a+coil+pack&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&safe=active&gws_rd=cr&ei=GaZUWciyBoaZ8QW6zI-YBA

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

Just remembered. Check the spark plug gap.

This may also be handy before parting with $$$ https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+test+a+coil+pack&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&safe=active&gws_rd=cr&ei=GaZUWciyBoaZ8QW6zI-YBA

Ashley thanks for the coil test link. Very valuable and I have a decent meter to test it. Will do it this weekend. Of course nothing will cost me to check the spark plugs at the same time.

1 hour ago, trentmeyer23 said:

How old is the fuel filter?

Well I think the filter is old I mean old (original?). It is my daughter's so no info on that but if it is the one near the engine it might be good idea to replace it anyway.

Hi there.

Well... I got it right there. I removed each coil and one was the culprit. That coil (#3) had a crack in the rubber bit at the end of the coil and I could see clearly the sparks on their way created like a burn/evaporation spot. It was very small 2mm circumference and rather difficult to see. Initially I just placed some electric insulation tape to see if it works - it did. It stopped the chuckle (especially when I put the car in R or D from P).

The damage, well, could not have happened just like that because the rubber was ripped apart. I suspect a visit to (I can say now: doggy mechanic) workshop because it started a week or two after that. What a shame crap in 21 century!

The engine, after replaced coil, runs as a charm.

Thank you for help.

PS. First thing I did was to physically/visually check each coil (after suggestion from neighbour).

Ciao