AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

Seb b

2004 hilux auto 2.7L RZN154R - fuel economy

Just bought myself a ute and it feels as though it's consuming too much fuel, had it for about a month now. 

Would like to improve it significantly; filling up every 2 weeks

Advice would be greatly appreciated 👍🏿🍻

Plugs, fuel system cleaner, potentially have the injectors cleaned. If these have not been done, it's worth a look.

I had a 2000 single cab Hilux ute with the 2.7 in it. Purchased it in 2005 at 127,000 K's, used as a non heavy load work ute, I could average around 24-26 mpg, while a one off drive (empty) between Melbourne and Adelaide return, sitting on or just below 100 kph steady on the open road, I was able to get a whsker under 30mpg. 

I sold that ute 8 month ago, almost 12 years after I had bought it,..on 260,000 K's, ..the only thing replaced outside of the normal tyres, battery, servicing and a couple of flats etc, was the knock sensor at a cost of $84 at around 145,000 K's and the radiator at about 170,000.  Nothing else ever 'played up' in the entire 11-1/2 years that I had that vehicle and if not for my wanting a later model Hilux dual cab, ..I would have kept it longer as it was still runnng like a top and still gave me that same fuel mileage.

Cheers ..(Sorry but the the old fashion in me still thinks in mpg and not L/100).

Lance.

Edited by brickpaver

NB you will NEVER get the claimed economy the manufacturer advertises--it's a very specially contrived figure, and in practice, unachievable byordinary users.    Sometimes makers downright lie about such things, which sent one company I know of bankrupt.    Seen the demise of Mann Diesels, and VW who owned them.     Our wise oriental gentlemen are not immune to such folly.

It's a ute:  Low overall gearing to carry 1T loads.    Not enough gears to maintain hi  average speed over  adverse conditions., prob not enough torque to use oversize tyres/wheels to gear it up again and retain performances.      It's also an auto?   Unless it has a lockup converter you cannot get sedan mileage.    particularly if traveling at modest rpm. and/or with a load/uphill.    Stop start will only make it worse.      

Edited by Manxman