Suggestions?

Humphrey

Hey guys, 

recently bought myself a 94 single cab hilux, and it was the best thing I've ever done! However, I'm now wanting to start modding it but have no idea what to do! Already have it lifted, and 32" muddies but that's it. 

so I'm asking you guys for any suggestions on what to do? 

Cheers, humphrey! 

LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.   Tinkering IS the most destructive form of maintenance.  These old girls were never intended to be powerhouses, and life is slow but cheap and comfortable iff you let it be.    I speak from a $20K loss experience.    Butt do service it propperly--5000K/oil change--no more--ever!   10,000K oil filter--top quality only.

Edited by Manxman

Cheers mate, not really intending to do mechanical work as I'm happy with how it goes already. More interested in ideas to 'cosmetically' modify it, eg. Overhead console, rock sliders, and just things that are handy to have?

with just short of half a million kms on it I'm thinking a rebuild won't be far off just for peace of mind! But I'll be having a go at servicing it soon as I've just racked up its first 5000kms since buying it and I'm not sure when the last time it was serviced was. Cheers manxman 🤙🏻

It's nice to have the fruit, especially if you need it.     Don't plan on getting your money back when selling tho', or if there's an insurance claim.    It's a hard call to say I have enough, but it's a necessary ability before it becomes a money pit.    A rebuild has to be done propperly--no shortcuts.    you should have serviced it immediately on purchase unless there was evidence it had been done recently.    consider a bypass oil filter [Jackmaster?]  if you're doing big mileages--you can then extend oil changes somewhat.    NB the install MUST NOT leak.    A horizontal oil  filter cooler cover  is better  for L series Diesel motor then, as its easier to access the filter for changing.   NB the sandwitch plate will ALWAYS unscrew when removing filter, unless you prevent it, or use another feed to filter.

Thanks mate, not planning to sell it at all hahah, gonna run it until it dies, fix it and then keep going! So I'm not really fussed at how much money I put into her! 

Rebuild will be done properly, and with all the god stuff! As I have no idea what I'm doing I'll be getting a mechanic mate to give me a hand to do it all though! 

Im hoping the rebuild will give it a new lease on life and maybe make it run a bit better? It currently holds up the rear end of our convoys with a 1L Suzuki sierra that struggles to hit 90kph! But off-road leads the way! What are some things I could look at doing while it gets rebuilt that won't 'molest' it, but make it go a bit harder? I'll definitely look into the bypass filter though! 

Cheers