AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

NikiB

Prius Keyless entry suddenly stopped working

NikiB    0

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I have a specific question about failure of the keyless entry function.

This morning as I was leaving home, when I pushed the start button, the Prius dashboard displayed the key symbol, indicating that it did not recognise that the key was in the car. I suspected a battery failure of the smart key, even though it was only a few months old (replaced earlier this year). I thought it was also a good time to have the second smart key updated with a new battery, as I haven't used this one for a few years.

The problem is now that neither of my smart keys will operate the smart entry. Both keys will start the car from inside when I press the starter button, but neither key now operates the lock/unlock function.

I'm wondering if this could be an indication that the small battery (in the boot) is starting to lose power?  I replaced that one about 4 years ago. Would this affect the locking mechanism on the keys?

I have switched the smart key function cancel button off and on a couple of times, but this hasn't made any difference.

I'm also wondering if it is possible to have confused the car with the two remote keys - please excuse if this is a dumb question. 

As it stands right now, I can't lock/unlock my car with the remote, and will have to use the manual key - very inconvenient.

I hope there is a simple, affordable fix for this. I really do not want to have to take the car to have the keys re-programmed.

Thanks in advance.