Please help for new hilux SR dual cab problem.

stanleywau

Hi all,

I just bought a new SR dual cab 2.8 diesel. Everything good, but there are two problems:

- fuel tank size: it says 80L. But when the range showed only 40km, I went to petrol station to fill in, it was full with 59L diesel.

dealer explanation: fuel consumption will be higher while engine is still settling in. range is only a rough estimate and may be off a bit especially while car is new. when the fuel gauge is on "0" (empty) guest has 12L reserve to get to a fuel station.

When I picked the car, the km gauge was: 38km. It was 538km when I went to petrol station to fill petrol. So roughly the fuel consumption is: 59L/5.38=10.9L/100km.

the tank actual size = 40km*10.9L/100km + 12L + 59L = 75.36L < 80L

But question is: Is this normal?

- whistle noise: When I drive over 50km/h, (haven't tested on free way with 100km over/h), there is whistle noise, like boiled water in kettle.

dealer explanation: this noise is normal while vents are open to fresh, to avoid noise, adjust vents to recirc to avoid whistling noise. I asked the service guy if they had test drive for this problem, they said yes.

But after, when I drive on the road, even I close the vent, turn off the fan and aircon, the whistle noise is still there.

What problem may it be?

Any suggestion give to me please?

Thanks,

Stanley

The fuel tank will always read under what the gauge says. It is a failsafe for those who love to run their tank right down. It is also a bad idea to continuously run off the bottom of the tank as it prematurely wears out the electric pump due to heat(fuel cools the pump).

@trentmeyer23

Thanks for your explanation.

Today just filled the tank with 61L, when the range is 0, and the gauges is empty.
Once the tank is full, the range shows 660km

So, my tank volume is about 61L + 12L = 73L,

Brayboy post

Brayboy said in the post his SR5 could fill in 67L. 67+12 = 79L very close to 80L .

He said his SR5 could fill in 67L. 67+12 = 79L very close to 80L .

My fuel tank capacity is only 73L, 7L less than normal. could you please give any explanation.

1 hour ago, stanleywau said:

@trentmeyer23

Thanks for your explanation.

Today just filled the tank with 61L, when the range is 0, and the gauges is empty.
Once the tank is full, the range shows 660km

So, my tank volume is about 61L + 12L = 73L,

Brayboy post

Brayboy said in the post his SR5 could fill in 67L. 67+12 = 79L very close to 80L .

He said his SR5 could fill in 67L. 67+12 = 79L very close to 80L .

My fuel tank capacity is only 73L, 7L less than normal. could you please give any explanation.

Don't assume that the 12L figure is 100% correct.  Fuel gauges are inaccurate, distance-to-empty readouts are pessimistic, not everyone fills up their tank to the same level etc etc.  Unless there is a fundamental difference in the tank design for some reason then you should still have an 80L tank, and how much of that you deem as usable (based off your interpretation of the fuel gauge and DtE) is up to you.

3 hours ago, Hiro said:

Don't assume that the 12L figure is 100% correct.  Fuel gauges are inaccurate, distance-to-empty readouts are pessimistic, not everyone fills up their tank to the same level etc etc.  Unless there is a fundamental difference in the tank design for some reason then you should still have an 80L tank, and how much of that you deem as usable (based off your interpretation of the fuel gauge and DtE) is up to you.

Thanks a lot for your explanation.  Maybe my tank always reserves 20L petrol. :ohmy: