AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

crandalucks

Emergence of the barn find

My Dad has recently had to take up residence in an aged care facility, which for reasons as worked out by our everloving government, requires me to sell the family home - which also requires me to empty it prepatory to sale. That also means that the asbestos-ridden garage where our one-time family sedan (RS40) has been in dry storage since 1978, due to stripping the dizzy drive on the camshaft, has to be demolished.

Said 1963 Crown Deluxe was disturbed from suspended animation yesterday, the next items on the agenda being a damn good bath, and unseizing of a recalcitrant FR wheel. She will be tilt trayed to a temporary home until I can make some room for her at home, where she will keep my 1970 Valiant Safari company. Yes, the eventual intention is to have her back in road-conquering form some time in the near future.

Any advice on unseizing the wheel would be welcome (it's only been dragged a carlength thus far, enough to get it out of the garage). So far it's been suggested to me to spray some "penetrine" (WD40?) between the brake drum & the backing plate. If no other advice is forthcoming, I'll go with that.

I'd dearly love to share some pics with you all of the emergence; these are on my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone at present. If someone could tell me how I can post those pics to this thread, I'd be most grateful.

Edited by crandalucks

Have tried spraying mother's ointment (WD40) between the backing plate & the brake drum, with zero results. Hub (ie wheel bearing) has been checked for grease; what was found was old but plentiful. To be on the safe side, I grabbed the grease gun & pumped a bit more in there.

Please, any suggestions??

Have you attempted to back off the brake shoes via the adjusting slot on the backing plate ?

Hi Warren, thanks for responding.

I did try that, but I was unable to get any purchase on anything inside. Presumably you mean the two grommet-covered rectangular "windows" located at 10 & 4 (as you face the brake drum).

I also tried a hub pulling device, which was bringing the drum away, interspersed with some hammering on the drum at various angles.

What eventually worked was getting a lever on studs 1 & 3 (plus lots more mother's ointment :wink:) and applying 110kg of me. This was the straw. Did a bit more of that, then popped the wheel back on to make it turn more.

It does now, albeit reluctantly - but at least enough that it can be gotten onto the tilt tray, off again and manoeuvered into its storage garage.

Edited by crandalucks