AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

PengNZ

Best time to check oil level?

Hi guys, i just replaced my engine oil with 6.1L Nulon 5w-30 SN Long Life. But the oil level is higher than the high dot on the dipstick when the engine was stone cold. Just wondering what’s the best time to use the dip to check the oil level? Stone cold or after warming up? Cheers

29 minutes ago, PengNZ said:

Hi guys, i just replaced my engine oil with 6.1L Nulon 5w-30 SN Long Life. But the oil level is higher than the high dot on the dipstick when the engine was stone cold. Just wondering what’s the best time to use the dip to check the oil level? Stone cold or after warming up? Cheers

Some will argue to check when left mobile for extended hours so all the oil has the chance to settle down to the oil pan, some will say to check after the engine is warmed up and rested for 5-10 minutes. Mechanics at the dealership I used to work at would follow the latter method, but I never bothered to questioned them as to why.

35 minutes ago, PengNZ said:

It doesn't hurt the engine if the oil is higher than the dot. I too use the same oil as you, only thing is I put the entire 6lt in and it fills it to just over the dot. Plenty enough.

I won't spend the extra 20 odd bucks for the 0.1lt.

6 lt is plenty. I'm sure others might disagree. 

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

There is enough residual oil in the engine to cover that small amount.

I usually check the oil level when the engine is cold. Recently oil level was above the full mark when cold. After running the engine a few minutes and then rechecking, oil level was exactly at the full mark on the dipstick.

I am wary of overfilling the engine. Previous father in law worked for Castrol in the 80's and their Technicians confirmed that overfilling his engine was what caused the head gasket to blow. Expensive lesson for that dealership who overfilled his Corolla engine and refused to adjust the oil level after he returned the vehicle immediately after being serviced.

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

I usually check the oil level when the engine is cold. Recently oil level was above the full mark when cold. After running the engine a few minutes and then rechecking, oil level was exactly at the full mark on the dipstick.

I am wary of overfilling the engine. Previous father in law worked for Castrol in the 80's and their Technicians confirmed that overfilling his engine was what caused the head gasket to blow. Expensive lesson for that dealership who overfilled his Corolla engine and refused to adjust the oil level after he returned the vehicle immediately after being serviced.

I must admit that a blown headgasket isn't what you'd expect from overfilling the oil (unless it was at the end of a cascade of failures).  Blown crank seal yes, thrown a rod because the oil got aerated from being too close to the crank and killed a big-end bearing yes, but headgasket failures are usually down to either overheating or improper installation

Hi Guys, I have also been using NULON 5W-30 Full Synthetic Oil for a while now and couldn't be happier with it.

I buy the 6Lt container and find it fills the motor to just on 4mm over the full mark on the dipstick, (that includes using a new filter of course).

I almost always check when 'COLD' from overnight in the garage, although when checking 'HOT' it still seems the same 4mm overfull.

Also the oil level never seems to vary during the service period and the colour still remains 'honey' like even after 7000km of use!  

343508-zoom.thumb.jpg.dea58c3e130d08cd8bb867ad220f5931.jpg

Edited by MIKHALE

I concur with MIKHALE.

Every he said is exactly correct.

Without starting an oil war, Just to add too. The Nulon oil is an excellent product and reasonably priced.

The grubs at Castrol, Mobil, and most of the others will ONLY supply a 5 lt, so the owners who need 6.1lt will need to either buy a 1lt bottle for an extra 20 something bucks to get that extra Litre, or you will have to buy 2x a 5 lt @ say 70 bucks a pop !!

Talk about marketing/gouging.

At least Nulon has the decency to provide the 6 lt. and it is all you need for our cars.

Kudos to Nulon, and I would rather support an Australian Company than give my hard earned money to Grubs.

Keep an eye out for Nulon 5w-30 6lt. When they go on special they are sub 50 bucks. Grab a few and keep as spare if you can afford it.

Cheers 

Tony :thumbsup:

Edited by Tony Prodigy

26 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I concur with MIKHALE.

Every he said is exactly correct.

Without starting an oil war, Just to add too. The Nulon oil is an excellent product and reasonably priced.

The grubs at Castrol, Mobil, and most of the others will ONLY supply a 5 lt, so the owners who need 6.1lt will need to either buy a 1lt bottle for an extra 20 something bucks to get that extra Litre, or you will have to buy 2x a 5 lt @ say 70 bucks a pop !!

Talk about marketing/gouging.

At least Nulon has the decency to provide the 6 lt. and it is all you need for our cars.

Kudos to Nulon, and I would rather support an Australian Company than give my hard earned money to Grubs.

Keep an eye out for Nulon 5w-30 6lt. When they go on special they are sub 50 bucks. Grab a few and keep as spare if you can afford it.

Cheers 

Tony :thumbsup:

Be thankful you don't drive a Commodore then.  Even the V6 models need 7+L per oil change, so you still need at least an extra litre bottle even if you buy 6L ones.

Oh, and Penrite (another Australian company) also do a full synthetic 5W30 in 6L bottles too...

I'll take the Penrite on the Chin. But it's heaps expensive.

As far as Commodores are concerned, I'll never buy one, let alone a 6lt gas guzzler.

My Aurion is absolutely perfect for me.

1 hour ago, Hiro said:

Blown crank seal yes, thrown a rod because the oil got aerated from being too close to the crank and killed a big-end bearing yes

The conversation was more than 30 years ago. Sure it was the head gasket that was mentioned. A blown crank seal would make more sense. Anyway the Corolla never made it home and was towed back to that Service Dept. Vehicle was repaired at their expense only because of technical papers from the Castrol Technicians relating to increased oil pressures.

Learning is to be careful about not overfilling the engine.

9 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It doesn't hurt the engine if the oil is higher than the dot. I too use the same oil as you, only thing is I put the entire 6lt in and it fills it to just over the dot. Plenty enough.

I won't spend the extra 20 odd bucks for the 0.1lt.

I bought Nulon right after seeing your post, Tony. That's incredibly better than expected. Really good oil would recommend. Cheers Tony! I now agree with you that 6lt is pretty enough haha.

I live in NZ. there was a special in supercheap last week. Bought two 4L ones for NZD 62 (AUD 56). Great deal! Nulon here in NZ also provide 1lt

Update for the overfilling oil: went back to the garage today and the mechanic just simply unscrewed the oil draining screw and then waited for seconds to allow the oil to drain and then screwed it back again very quickly. Now the level is right on the max dot when cold. 

14 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'll take the Penrite on the Chin. But it's heaps expensive.

As far as Commodores are concerned, I'll never buy one, let alone a 6lt gas guzzler.

My Aurion is absolutely perfect for me.

Nulon 5W30 Full Synthetic and Penrite 5W30 Full Synthetic are currently the exact same price at Superchear, $57.99 for 6L.  You might be thinking of their 10Tenths racing oil.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/store/oils-fluids/engine-oil/1021652?pageSize=24&sort=-ProductSummaryPurchasesWeighted%2C-ProductSummaryPurchases&variant1=6 Litre&variant2=5W-30&page=1

And that 7L Commodore figure was only for the 3.0L and 3.6L V6.  The V8s need even more (7.6L)

Penrite at this price is a SL grade one. The grade of which is technically lower than the Nulon’s that is SN grade. Penrite 5w30 envir+ and envir+ hpr 5 are SN grade but way expensive than this regular SL one 

1 hour ago, PengNZ said:

Penrite at this price is a SL grade one. The grade of which is technically lower than the Nulon’s that is SN grade. Penrite 5w30 envir+ and envir+ hpr 5 are SN grade but way expensive than this regular SL one 

True about the SL/SN difference, but if you drop down to the 5L bottles then the Penrite 5W30 Enviro+ is actually cheaper than the Nulon (HPR5 is a chunk more however)...
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/store/oils-fluids/engine-oil/1021652?pageSize=24&sort=-ProductSummaryPurchasesWeighted%2C-ProductSummaryPurchases&brand=Penrite%2CNulon&variant1=5 Litre&variant2=5W-30&page=1

Sometimes I think there are too many oils on the market with too little obvious differences between them apart from price.

On 10/11/2017 at 9:59 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

...only thing is I put the entire 6lt in and it fills it to just over the dot.

yep i found out today the 0.1L stays inside the engine, and 6L is enough to fill it. Regarding the oil filter, the middle section wanted to turn with the whole filter so i didnt bother with that as i couldnt really see any way of holding the outside still.

1 hour ago, Metal_Head said:

Regarding the oil filter, the middle section wanted to turn with the whole filter so i didn't bother with that as i couldn't really see any way of holding the outside still.

I also have a mate who's centre plug won't come undone. The centre release plug is really to drain the excess oil that pools up inside the filter housing. If you are careful you can just loosen off the housing with your special tool and allow the oil to seep out the sides.

Just be careful the oil isn't hot though. Wear gloves and use a few rags.

Edited by Tony Prodigy