Knocking Noise

Mikegyde

Hey guys, newbie here! 

Ive got a Dec 12' 3.0 D4D and its recently started making a knocking noise in the engine, under load.

I had the injectors tested and two were apparently shot, so they replaced those, however the next day the noise came back. Originally it was when engine was cold under load, then went to being all the time, now the injectors are done, it only happens when the car is at operating temp.

Im sick of throwing money at the car and mechanics telling me **** is wrong when it seems like its not and im being taken for a ride.  Does anyone have ANY ideas or experienced this before and actually found a way to fix it? It is annoying AF! and i dont want to do more damage / throw more money at a f**ked car! 

Any suggestions appreciated.

TIA. Mike 

MEASURE THE OIL PRESSURE!!!!!!!!     you may have done a bigend etc.......  but if the pressure is too low, it'll be a good guide.  Avoid running the motor for more than a few seconds to get a reading.  . as more damage will result  consult manual for min working oil pressures. at [x]rpm

33 minutes ago, Manxman said:

MEASURE THE OIL PRESSURE!!!!!!!!     you may have done a bigend etc.......  but if the pressure is too low, it'll be a good guide.  Avoid running the motor for more than a few seconds to get a reading.  . as more damage will result  consult manual for min working oil pressures. at [x]rpm

Whats a big end? A rod that means new engine?

Big end--bottom conrod bearing--major strip down, regrind crankshaft.  you don't indiate milage, but it's old enough to have done the miles/work to wear things.   if you get change out of abt 4K you've got out of it cheap, if that's what's wrong.    I know the o5 07 D4D has serious problems with injectpor seals failing and the oil chystalizing and blloclking the oil pickup, bit I've not heard of such in the 2012 motor.    This rebuild is not for amateurs, and  you might not be able to tell if a used motor is ok.    The good news is its a tojo.  the skills and parts are common, and although expensive, it will return good service for your investment.    I do not recommend a performance upgrade, as ititsn't worthwhile IMHO.  

Woah, calm down. Let's not start with replacing conrods and engine assemblies.

Firstly, a rod will chatter under no load whilst revving the engine, could be a possibility though. Oil pressure is definitely a good one to check. You should see a lot of metallic flakes in the oil if it is a bearing failure.

Secondly, when did the noise start? Out of the blue or after maintenance/certain driving(offroad, etc.). Give me a good background history.

Another possibility; although unlikely, is flywheel or flex plate bolts coming loose.

Also consider joining http://www.newhilux.net/