Broken Interior Door Handle

campbeam

Has anyone else had a broken interior door opening handle? This is the first time for me in many years. Happened one late Saturday night which was not that cold. All that I can think of is that I was distracted talking to the girlfriend, fully opened the handle and it very easily and quickly snapped off.

As a quick fix, I tried using superglue [didn't work at all] then using araldite which only lasted a few uses. I was trying to avoid having to remove the door trim which I had not done before.

Prices on eBay for a replacement pair from the USA were not attractive so I persevered with a broken handle for a few weeks. I was going to re-glue the door handle but another part of the plastic moulding had broken off. Finally, I did the rounds of the local wreckers and got one for $20. One of the advantages of going to wreckers and removing the part is that you can practice/learn how to do it. Discovered that I had to remove the interior door trim [learnt quickly] instead of just one screw. In hindsight, I should have done a Forum search.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/52560-door-garnish-removal/?tab=comments#comment-555353

Fitting the replacement part is a quick 10 minute job which I had to redo as the window rubber section had to be reseated.

Rather than throw away the broken door handle, I have re-araldited the broken pieces together plus also filled the hollow section with araldite [Selleys Ultra Clear ] to re-inforce it. Learning from all of this is that there was not a quick fix solution without removing the door handle.

Gotta love the wreckers. 

We have Pick'N'Payless here in Blacktown City where you pay a cover charge to get in to see the old girls. You even bring your own tools lol !

On a serious note, you are correct in that if you find a suitable donor car that hasn't been molested to buggery, you can actually see how it comes out before you do the guess work on your own.

Thumbs up for me.

Donor vehicle was a red 2007 Aurion Sportivo. Chromed door handle was a perfect fit to my 2006 Aurion ATX which I now prefer to the original black plastic. Thinking about going back for the passenger door handle as a standby spare.