Cabin air filter - which one?

nushydude

Hi, 

I want to replace the cabin air filter of my 2007 Aurion AT-X and I'm wondering if this is the right part. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201503110290

What does those letters at the end (JA and F) mean? 

Thanks 

Just FYI, as a Chinese guy, I can tell you that we Chinese don’t really use that kind (cheap price sold online) of car parts. These parts look decent, and only look decent. Don’t use them in your own car. Just get one from SCA or Repco. It usually cost around 40 bucks and will last for years! 

Ive seen quality cabin filters in a car for years, and unless u like breathing in mould spores & white powdered particles of broken up filter, i would suggest getting the cheap stuff, and rotate between cleaning/replacing every service. Just my thoughts.. 

Many months ago, I replaced the cabin air filter [which badly needed replacing] with this material

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foam-Biochemical-Cotton-Pad-Mat-Media-Filter-for-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-S11/332309870196?epid=23005677099&hash=item4d5f363674:g:U64AAOSwfsFZbsXd

Probably time this weekend to check/clean this filter material and also check how much leaf litter has accumulated in the air duct.

LOL. I don't know what to say. I had ordered the filter from aliexpress, and when I tried to cancel it, the seller said that they had already shipped it and they couldn't cancel it. Oh well, let's see how it goes.

40 minutes ago, nushydude said:

LOL. I don't know what to say. I had ordered the filter from aliexpress, and when I tried to cancel it, the seller said that they had already shipped it and they couldn't cancel it. Oh well, let's see how it goes.

What was the reason for canceling the order? I have the same filter and very happy with it.

Just checked mine. Not too shabby. I gave it a vacuum for the meantime pending replacement.

Now to check the Hilux. Wifey is driving it at the moment. I suspect that will be bad because it's a company maintained car and I doubt the mechanic has ever bothered to check it. Let's wait and see..

20171118_102823.jpg

20171118_102807.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy

For what they are worth repco or supercheap. They are such an inexpensive item and yeah they are kind of important. But if your really worried about the cabin filter maybe dont leave the house cuz the outside air might get you. Aus has clean air.  Reason i don't bother with ali or ebay is just easier to goto local shop. Usually not that much more and you get it straight away 

2 hours ago, Thirteen said:

But if your really worried about the cabin filter maybe dont leave the house cuz the outside air might get you. Aus has clean air. 

Oh man, a Chinese guy is saying not to buy Chinese products while some local guys are saying those cheap products worth a try 😂😂

Respect dudes.

But I’d still say we should use decent brands’ auto parts for our own cars. Especially those matainence parts which are important and you don’t see them everyday. If you do think the air is clean enough and don’t worry about the cabin air filter, don’t use the cabin air filter then. Those $5 and $30 filters are different. The material, the manufacturing techniques and the manufacturing standard. There will be endless air keep going through the filter when your driving. That means the filter is always working with a pressure when your driving. 15 AUD is a reasonable price for a decent cabin air filter sold from China, but the 5 AUD one? Well I won’t use it.

However, anyway, thank you so much for trusting and choosing Chinese products:) We Chinese do produce cheap and good products but usually they won’t be that cheap

I think you certainly get what you pay for. 

Something that is cheap is cheap for a reason. Cheaper material and production methods Vs the more expensive has had R&D put into it to enable the item to function as good as the OEM product.

I'll have a dig around for some filters and see what comes up.

Removed and cleaned the filter material. It used to be white but now a slight grey colour. Airflow appears to be a lot better now. I decided to buy that cheap AliExpress filter reasoning that I can replace them about every 12 months or so.

Will let you know my opinion on these filters when I get them.

Just as I suspected the cabin filter in my Hilux was pretty bad. I gave it a vacuum and then cleaned it with the garden spray hose. Hung it to dry and was fine after this. The air off temp improved by 2 degrees Celsius.  Was dishing out around 7 before, now a solid 5.

So a blocked filter will not only stifle the airflow but affect the air off temperature too.

20171119_122834.jpg

Come on Trent. I'm not being tight mate. Low blow there.

It's a company car. I don't pay for things to get replaced. I merely cleaned it so the AC works better until I can get it replaced.

20 bucks pfft. Like I care.

There's no need for your crudeness.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

20 bucks pfft. Like I care.

$17.00 to be exact. You know, for health reasons. :smile:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WACF0040-Wesfil-Cabin-Filter-RCA164P-RCA178P-8713906100-8713907010/272792824996?epid=1945143551&hash=item3f83b82ca4:g:cYMAAOSwTLxZhpfX

15 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Just as I suspected the cabin filter in my Hilux was pretty bad. I gave it a vacuum and then cleaned it with the garden spray hose. Hung it to dry and was fine after this. The air off temp improved by 2 degrees Celsius.  Was dishing out around 7 before, now a solid 5.

This is very heavy used, looking filter, :ohmy: spraying with a garden hose, I don't think would be enough. I would soak it in some kind of antibacterial soap or spraying it with Glen 20 or something similar. Also can soak it with vinegar. 

--->

Cheap does not mean bad at all. Especially for all these different types of paper/fabric filters. You need just to know from where to get it. The original Toyota filter are not made from any kind of special material either. And here is the same thing just with Wesfil logo.

Ryco filters used to be Australian made, now it all made in China or Indonesia. The cost of filters can be related to advertising budget.

But if you don't mind to spend a little bit more and feel better, why not, get Ryco or something similar. I don't like to promote big brands, because they are already known and there is not much excitement about them. I prefer find  source, direct from the factory :cool:

Edited by krigeroz