Rattle sound from under dashboard

The Green Machine

I have a 2017 C-HR Koba  and have noticed that whenever my vehicle travels over a significant bump on the road, I can hear a rattle sound coming from directly under the dashboard just behind the speedo/tacho dials area.   When driving on normally smooth road surface or even over small or mild bumps I don't hear any rattle. I've only noticed the rattle sound when driving over a significant bump and when turning (or changing lanes) at the same time.

Has anyone else experienced this rattle sound  coming from under/behind the dashboard in their C-HR's ?

I'm curious to find out if this is normal on all C-HR's or whether it's an isolated problem in my vehicle.  I have contacted 3 different Toyota service centres and all of them said they have not have any customers complain of any rattle sound coming from under their dashboard.

It doesn't appear to sound like it's a loose clip or wiring, it sounds more like something is rocking side to side (as I drive over the bump).

The only thing I can think of that it might possibly be, is the sensor used for the G Monitor display, which measures the amount of G force when accelerating/braking and turning corners.

Can anyone confirm if the sensor used for the G monitor is located right behind the dashboard dials ?

Does the G monitor sensor physically move sideways (in other words, not electronic) when turning left or right ?

I am thinking that when travelling over a significant bump the G monitor sensor is rocking quickly left and right, therefore causing this rattle sound.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:33 PM, Surfsideminer said:

Could be the GPS antenna has dislodged. I think Chitty mentioned that when he pulled his head unit out the GPS antenna was hanging loose.

Is this GPS antenna located directly behind the 6.1" head unit in the centre of the dashboard ?

If so, then I don't think this is the cause of the rattling sound I sometimes hear when driving over bumps, as the sound is coming from under the dashboard directly behind the speedo and tacho dials.

I'm thinking that it could possibly be from the G Monitor sensor, but I'm yet to find out if this is located behind the dashboard dials or in some other location.

Edited by The Green Machine