AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

zze123rBurgz

Power w/o forced induction on sportivo?

So i have a 04 sportivo corolla, pretty low kms 119,000 kms, it drives nice but i want some more power, have put injen cold air intake in and an exedy heavy duty clutch ( was having some issues with clutch before hand)

does anyone have some ideas for a bit more response and power without having to turbo or supercharge it?

Also a mechanic said i should avoid changing 1st and 2nd in 8000kms+ does this sound about right? 
I don't really thrash this car but when i want to put my foot down i definatly want more response in the lower rev range, and more overall power.

Thanks guys

Edited by zze123rBurgz

The easiest worthwhile upgrade is the ST2 Piper camshafts.

Neil

If you're referring to changing gears at 8000rpm, generally unless you slip the clutch you won't land lift in second gear without absolutely ragging on the box.
When i change into second from first, i delay my shift about halfway through (around neutral) to prevent locking out of the gear and grinding the synchro, it's how i munted second gear on my original gearbox.

Take it easy, the car's not even fast in a straight line so no point slamming gears to be honest.

Generally the only way to make serious power on the 2ZZ is to go forced induction. The internals are pretty strong but you'll more than likely only be able to run minimal boost, 6-8 psi at the most before the motor goes (could be years 2-3 at the most from what I've seen online).

Staying N/A however, you'll need to consider opening up the engine, replacing cams, valves, retainers so pretty much replacing all the parts in the head. By that time, you will have spent well over $3k minimum at least to get most of it done unless you can do it yourself.

The best possible options which shouldn't break the bank for better response are porting your throttle body and ECU with tune (stand alone or piggy back). Porting your stock headers will also liven up the engine a bit allowing it rev out quicker and remove some of the low and mid range lag.

Engine was made to rev over 8000 rpm with ease, sadly the gearboxes can't take the usual slamming that say a Honda gearbox may take better. Simply slip the clutch a bit between 1st and 2nd to keep the car in Lift and you'll be fine. In the long run, it's much cheaper to replace a clutch than a gearbox.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By StewieStiglitz
      Hey guys,

Long story short I was sharing a car with my family (Mum) but was gifted a car for free! I guess for Christmas.
      Im not a car guy at all but I suppose I might have been bitten buy some kind of bug. I believe its an AE92R - Thats what it says in the owners manual.
      On the side of the car there's a faded SRI Limited(?) I dont know if this is a thing or not. 
      Down to business though its a 23 year old car (1994- As old as me!) and makes a bit of a rattle when accelerating from 20kmph to 50.
      I believe from the small amount research and poking around its the exhaust manifold- It has a 1" crack in it and the cover on top of it is loose.
      I'm looking at replacing these so if anyone has done it before please let me know how it went !

-Stew 

• By MTBer
      Item: TOYOTA CALDINA GT-T  2L TURBO AWD - White
      Item Condition: Excellent Used Condition – no accidents – no finance issues
      Reason for Selling: Regretfully selling due to family issues and too many cars. (Wish I had $$$ to buy a manual 2003 model of these I would!)
      Price and Payment conditions: $7,500 ono, bank transfer (car is yours when I see total in my account)
      Any additional information: Completely Stock/Unmodified ~200kw 2.0L Turbo All Wheel Drive in a nice size wagon with Toyota reliability. Very hard to find in this condition with such low km’s (~109,000).
      ST215 3S-GTE engine (Parts are not a problem because it has the same engine and 4WD system as Celica GT4 – not that I’ve ever had to worry. This put my mind at ease when I bought it.)
      Forget Corollas, This car is awesome, when you own one you’ll realise! I've owned this car for nearly 4 years with no hassles. Oil & filter changed every 5000, very well maintained.
      Features…
      ·         ~200kw(320Nm) 2.0L Turbo All Wheel Drive with Intercooler
      ·         Rare signature 17” Diablo racing wheels (white)
      ·         Pirelli P7 tyres
      ·         Timing belt changed at 66,000
      ·         Aircon so cold you’ll think you’re in Antarctica! Auto control & outside thermometer
      ·         Only used Premium 98
      ·         Tinted windows, p.steer/windows/mirrors

Shipping: Will assist buyer if I am able
      Contact Details: Andrew – SMS/Call 0421100418

• By Sick Puppy
      Hi everyone, I am trying to source foglights for a Series 2 Corolla wagon (ZZE122R), the larger plastic ones with the spotlight inserts. Please let me know if you have any for sale or are aware of where they can be found, purchased etc.
      Thanks!

• By ZRLevin2009
      Hi,
      I’m having difficulties with my car audio in a ZR Levin 2008 model Corolla. I am hearing audio only faintly through my tweeter speakers.. all other sound has stopped. I had someone check the console and wires behind to make sure it is working/swap in another one to see if it made a difference which unfortunately it didn’t. 
      I don’t think the speakers have blown. When the audio cut out the first time, it came on the next time I started the car and then cut out again and hasn’t worked since. 
      I also can’t find anyone on the net in Sydney that offers repairs of the sought? 
      Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any ideas as to how to fix it?

• By Inaam Schellen
      hi guys ive been a long time lurker of this forum since i purchased a 2005 corolla sportivo. it's been approximately 2 months since my lift stopped working and i've spent nearly $2000 with still no luck and i'm getting really desperate. i have tried almost everyone suggestion here on this forum and other websites with no luck. would really appreciate if you took the time to read and help me out.
      when i purchased the car it was running perfectly. it was on 160k kms and clutch felt good, the car felt very responsive and lift kicked in really hard. fast forward a month later i noticed it was leaking oil. it was a small oil leak and i took it to a mechanic to fix it for me right away. he told me it was a timining case oil leak and he replaced the timing case gasket, rocker cover gasket, crankshaft ceil, manifold gasket and exhaust gasket. also put in a new radiator and water pump. now he also told me he couldnt find a rocker cover gasket as toyota had none available and it would be a minimum 2 week wait to order from overseas. i said that's fine.. but he called me the next day saying he found one and the car was ready. sounded fishy? but whatever, i took my car for a spin and it felt like ****. big flatspot in acceleration under 4k rpm and the lift didnt kick in. sometimes it would but it was really weak. no sort of 'kick', just a smooth transition. 
      i read on a separate post to:
      - Check Lift bolts. Very common on the preface lift 03/04 models for them to wear down quicker, although the design has since been corrected.
      - Check oil level, make sure your engine has enough oil.
      - Check the VVTLi solenoid as the filter/screen inside of it can get clogged and cause lift to not engage, see below:
      so i replaced lift bolts. no luck.
      i did an engine flush and changed the oil. no luck. however i realised the oil level light stays on for about 5 seconds when i turn the car on then it turns off. not sure if that's normal or if i haven't noticed that before?
      cleaned out the ocv solenoid screen. it was abit sticky. still no luck.

So everything sort of went to **** after i got the car back from fixing the oil leak. would really appreciate some suggestions because it's been 2 months and it's really bugging me and i'm getting really desperate. i've taken it to about 5 mechanics who have absolutely no clue what could be wrong.