RAV4 Fuel Economy

Hi all

I'm new here, seems like a very good site. :)

We have a 2005 Rav4 Cruiser 5-door 2.4 litre. I was just wondering what sort of fuel economy other owners get - for city driving we only get between 13-15 litres per 100km, quite a bit higher than stated fuel consumption. Admitidly it does some short trips, but our other car, a Passat V6 Wagon (2.8 litre) gets 11-13 litres per 100km according to the trip computer on trips just as short (and even better on long ones).

Is this normal for the Rav or should it be using something closer to the stated fuel consumption.

Chris

• 4 months later...

13-15 litres / 100 kms is atrocious consumption. I guess you might get that in bumper to bumper traffic, or if you are very heavy with the throttle and brakes, but, it's really more what you could expect from a Ford Territory.

I've got two 05 RAVs. A manual 5 door, and an automatic 3 door. The 3 door doesn't vary all that much, giving in the range of 9.5 to 10.5 litres/100. The 5 door is better, giving from 10 to around 8 lt/100km. Basically though, in mixed city driving, they are both similar at around 10, plus or minus a little bit.

i think at this point it may be worth noting which fuel you are using?

is it unleaded? pulp? what?

Hi. Thanks for your replies. Just using standard unleaded - it doesn't say it requires pulp. The VW does use pulp (95 octane i think) but it's also a V6. One time we filled up the RAV recently and worked out the fuel consumption - nearly 17L/100km. On really long trips (i.e. a couple of hours on a country highway) it gets down to about 10L/100km.

Similar with what jb747 has pointed out, if it was your daily driver and you go through peak hour traffic 5 days a week it would significantly increase your consumption, also depending on your driving style. Remember reading somewhere that if you want to save fuel try not to rev above 2500rpm.

I get around 14L/100Km on my 2004 V6 Camry with 98 Octane fuel. It's mainly driven through daily peak hours and the shopping trips on weekends.

• 1 year later...

I have had my 2007 Rav4 Cruiser for only 2 weeks now. It is an auto and I have only made trips to town including a steep climb of 4km each time (no highway work).

So my first recording is 11.73ltrs/100km which I think is pretty good.

Can't wait to stretch my babys legs on the weekend and see what she does on highway cycle.

Does anyone else have a reading for the new model????

• 4 years later...

I am getting 488km per tank(unleaded) on my 2010 RAV4. This in a mixed city/ highway scenario. I was wondering if I could get more mileage from high octane, 95/98? And at the same time not sure if those fuels are ok for use in the RAV4, since specified fuel is E10.

Help please.

NK

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I have an 2012 SX6 and I can only estimate the consumption but I think its around 10-11L/100km mostly up and down the Blue Mountains... my wife's 2011 Impreza gets about 8.5L/100km but she's light footed...all I can do is estimate because Toyota in their wisdom or meaness didn't fit any kind of Consumption/Trip computer to this $45k vehicle! Incredible when a $15K Hyundai's computer can tell you what phase of the moon it is and the grade of fuel you're using! Speaking of trip computers etc this vehicle has the awful Toyota "Sat Nav" unit in it, has anyone ever managed to source from Toyota an update for the Maps in this device? They were out of date (2010) when new and are becoming increasingly unreliable. Toyota seem to have no idea.

Basically it's a great vehicle although switchable full time 4WD would be a huge improvement but all in all its a beauty.

• 9 months later...

hi all,

i have a 2006 rav 4 cv model which i just bought second hand at 74k. its v4 2.4l all wheel drive. anywayz, i seriously can only get 340k before the empty light shows up and really only pushed it to 360k before fuelling up. i cant believe how bad this cars fuel economy is, i bought it and didnt bother about researching the fuel economy as it was a toyota and i knew they usually have good fuel economy. is anyone in the same boat ? or did i just buy a lemon car. let me know how much your getting and if there are any way to improve the fuel economy. can i possibly put this onto gas? besides the obvious, i might have to let this car go cant afford to hold on to it with the fuel consumption this bad. i do probably 70 percent of city type driving and 30 percent of highway driving . let me know your thoughts . thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I've got a 2010 Rav4 cruiser L with 110,000K's which I bought nearly 12 months ago and I too am very surprised at the poor fuel economy it gets. For a 2.4L 4 cyl. I was expecting somewhere around the 600-650km/tank but can only manage 500Km maybe 550Km on a trip.

I also have a FG Falcon with a 4.0L motor and has only a 5 litres larger fuel tank, weighs about the same as the Rav and I can manage 750-800Km/ tank on a trip, so that 4wd system has a lot to answer for. When you start to compare it with engines double it's size you start scratching your head and ask why does it use so much fuel.

To be fair the Falcon is a 6 speed and at 100Km/h is just ticking over at 1800rpm, as the Rav is revving a bit harder and kicks back a gear on the slightest hill, as the Falcon will climb hills in top gear, it's all about torque....224Nm V 400Nm.

• 6 months later...

I have a new 2.5 liter petrol Rav 4, which is published to use about 8 liters per 100 km, (which was my main reason for buying the Rav 4 over 3 alternatives). However, my Rav 4 uses about 12.5 liters per 100 km (about 30 % worse than published) and the typical responses to my questions I get from Toyota ar *the engine is still stiff, * the tire pressure is wrong* driving in heavy traffic etc. (all rubbish)

What I want is for Toyota to publish the correct average fuel usage so that buyers can make good choices. I attach comment from other users.

Sincerely, Harry Koller.

Rav 4 Poor Fuel Economy.docx