Black Headlight Surround Mod

ZAV

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Daz is the only one from syd that im aware of who has done this mod. Looks really tough with a white car.

Cheers mate.. i think gtirboy has the prefacelift rolla.

check out KT_haha's ride in the members section for pics of black surround on prefacelift.

PM us if u want tips, otherwise the DIY here is pretty much everything you need

i have seen a few guys in melb do this mod in black, looks absolutally great. i agree its one of the best DIY mods. Jus wonderin has anyone done this mod in another colour apart from black. i havce a red mica colour and was thinkin somethin a lil different...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i need some help! got a few questions/requests

i know there 3 screws on the preface lift head light (2 top, 1 bottom)

1. do i need to remove the front bar to unscrew the bottom one? cant i just jack up the car and unscrew it?

2. can some1 post the pic of their paint headlights, prefer preface life.

3. how far in am I able to paint?

dsc01638hj8.th.jpg

i basically want to paint everything on the bottom level and any other flat surface...

is it ok??

I saw Daz, but its a facelift.... I tried to figure it out by looking at KT_haha's in member's ride but i need a close up.

hope some1 can help me.. coz im planning to do it this wk

Edited by XploShun

yeah peoples. im really keen on doin it to but im scared if i stuff it up as i rang toyota for some new head lights and they said about 220 each head light so i really dont wana stuff them up. i wana kno how to get to the bottom screw and also how to crack open the head lights.

yeah peoples. im really keen on doin it to but im scared if i stuff it up as i rang toyota for some new head lights and they said about 220 each head light so i really dont wana stuff them up. i wana kno how to get to the bottom screw and also how to crack open the head lights.

crack open should be easy. put it next to the heater and use an hairdryer!

just dunno where to spray.. and how to take of the headlight

ur best bet would be to remove the front bumper completely. (not hard)

determining wat to paint becomes clearer once u open the headlight up. u cant jst paint everything coz the lights obviously reflects of the rear and sides of the fitting...

ive attached some pics from when KT and myself did the mod..

HTH

p1040679qp3.th.jpg

p1040689py8.th.jpg

thx Daz!!! just wt i needed!!

theres not much to see especially if we have eyelids!!! damn! i was soooo tempted to spray a bit of inside... :P

too bad our car doesnt have the head lights like the US corolla.. and the civics! they just spray the whole thing!

btw.. why did KT_haha spray his headlight silver?

dun want to remove the front bar... coz i dun wanna take out the my wheels! :P

but i guess.... i have no choice :(

how do u remove the bumper bar. and does the front wheels need to come off. and do u need to spray anythin before the black color goes on. and i also wanted to kno when your puttin the headlight back together, do you need to replace the seel on it or can u just heat it up and put it straight back on with the original seel. thanx alot. just scared shi**** on doin it.

simon

btw.. why did KT_haha spray his headlight silver?

lol he didnt spray anything silver. thats the reflective part of the light fitting.. it's normal!

dun want to remove the front bar... coz i dun wanna take out the my wheels! :P

No need to remove the wheels to get the bumper off! im sure there's a write up somewhere for removing front bar

Daz, when you have some time on your hands you should come over and show me how it's done. :rolleyes: I don't trust myself.

haha it's not as scary as u think! seriously the hardest part was getting the lights off and thats not hard!

how do u remove the bumper bar. and does the front wheels need to come off.

read above^^

and do u need to spray anythin before the black color goes on.

No you dont, jst the black heat resistant paint

when your puttin the headlight back together, do you need to replace the seel on it or can u just heat it up and put it straight back on with the original seel.

for a newer car i had no troubles resealing with the current seal. jst heat and hold together.

for Dan's pre-facelift we jst needed to heat a bit longer to melt the seal more but otherwise was ok. if anything, do it once and if the seal isnt soft enuff do it again..

i just took out my head lights.. without taking off the front bar... bcoz i couldnt.. the clips (both in the center) are so tough and yet.. fragile..

i broke 1 of the clip so i stopped and just pulled out the headlight.. and it worked.. now i have a few cuts on my hand.. bcoz of those stupid clips... :angry:

i only removed the screws on top of the grille (to allow me to move the front bar) and the 1s one the front guard..

the bottom screw is more like.. on the side.... LUCKY!! so i didnt have to remove the front bar..

tonight.. im gonna try crack open the headlight.. and spray it!! muwahahaha

hope it will work!

the right hand side look alright...

but the left hand side is stuffed..

coz i think its been opened b4..

the clips were broken already.. so i could seal it!

sigh.. now i have to decide... buy the japan black head lights? or buy another LH headlight and redo it!

just realised that my previous panel beater really did a **** job... wrong screws and used broken clips!!!! fuk!!! so it too me extra time to complete it!!

btw.. i reckon it looks WAY better on a face lift....

• 1 month later...
has anyone painted there's red (on a red car)....?????

guys in the US have done colour coded painting on their cars.. looked ok but i think the black as standard stand out the best IMO

maybe someone get can you a pic .i know ther's a link about somehwere

• 1 month later...
Anyone from melb that have done this mod before that would like to give me a hand?. Im not really confident putting the headlights in the oven.

you could always just use a hair dryer, might take half a day longer but it still works, i know cause i did :lol: