mr2 models?

s2ky_

hi all,

im interested in a mr2 sw20.. however i do not understand the different models such as, gt? bathurst? etc.. etc..

i wud also like to know what versions there are of the sw20 listed from top range to bottom

cheers

Hey s2ky_

I recently was looking into buying an MR2 SW20 and found out that....

~Bathurst models are all non-turbo. So if you find one with a turbo motor its a private job.

~GT is the turbo model. definately the one to go for. (if you have an open licence).

~Targa roofs are available on both

~hard tops are out there but are rarer. (hard tops have sleeker lines too)

~There are REV1, REV2, REV3 series. (eachs series up got more power, options, quality, last one has VVT-i I think?)

Ultimate version for me REV3 black hard top GT B)

Edited by Slurdog

• 4 weeks later...

Hey s2ky_

~Bathurst models are all non-turbo. So if you find one with a turbo motor its a private job.

~GT is the turbo model. definately the one to go for. (if you have an open licence).

~There are REV1, REV2, REV3 series. (eachs series up got more power, options, quality, last one has VVT-i I think?)

adding to that.

all turbo's are imported, Aus didn't get delivered turbo cars. (excluding of course the ones with conversions)

In general all targa tops are Aus Delivered.

Bathurst is (supposedly) slightly lighter, has the suspension revision, no power steering, and a slightly more powerful engine.

Cheers

Nathan

All turbos are either imports or aftermarket jobs. All hardtops are also imports.

I owned a '96 Bathurst. Great car, which I still regret selling (in 2004 with 72,000 kms on the odo). Compared to the GT...no power steering, no leather, different sound system, no cruise control, no fog lights in the airdam. A bit lighter. ABS and air were options, not standard. The Bathurst was basically a cheapie model (mine still cost over $50k), and the price of the GT just went through the roof.

The power steering was a real loss with the original fit Yokohama tyres. The steering load with them was horrid. Later I replaced them with slightly larger 205 Dunlop W10s, and the load reduced by about half! From that point onwards, it was fine. I ditched the sounds system almost immediately, though the original fit was quite decent. My seats were stored for the whole time I had the car, and I used way superior Recaros. Cruise control is no loss in this car. The wiring for the fog lights is intact, so you just need to get a set (mine came from a wrecker), and a switch for the dash, and a relay.

Absolutely wonderful cars, but decent ones seem to be rare these days.

Absolutely wonderful cars, but decent ones seem to be rare these days.

Got that right, there are only 2 the blue mountains that i know of. One has a large peice of the driver > rear side removed. So i guess it down to one in the mts

shame because they are a nice car

• 3 weeks later...

thnx for replies

what about also the G-limited and the GT-S models?

G-Limited are NA imports.

Not sure about GT-S.

GT models also come in NA. 1999 SW20 MR2 GT was sold in Australia as NA, has a big adjustable wing.

I believe all Australian SW20 are sold as Targas, but sold as options in Japan.

• 1 month later...

Friend of mine has a gen 4 (97) GTS SW20.

White, big wing, yada yada.

GTS and GT differences are... well.. there arnt any, bar the option that the gts had, of a cd player, the gt never had that option. (or was it tape deck?) meh.

EVERYTHING else is optional.

93+ = more powerful engine, CT20b Turbo over the CT26, more boost, lower compression ratio, yada yada.

Anything in specific you want to know?

I helped my friend buy it, as i was living with her, and in a long term relationship with her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

is there a way you can tell if the mr2 is non turbo or turbo besides looking at the engine

They tend to have a sticker on the side saying something like 2000 DOHC Turbo or the like, at least the one down the street from me does

• 2 years later...
Hey s2ky_

I just bought a black hard top GT turbo 1990 Jap import but through this forum only just found out about the rev series, how do I find out what series I have? anyway if anyone is still looking there is another for sale in Adelaide

Hey s2ky_

I just bought a black hard top GT turbo 1990 Jap import but through this forum only just found out about the rev series, how do I find out what series I have? anyway if anyone is still looking there is another for sale in Adelaide

found my own answer

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...