OBDII & Toyotas in OZ

Topdog

Hi all,

New to this forum and there seems to be scant info on OBDII.

I have just bought myself, as a project, an Equss 3100 OBD II fault code reader. The unit is designed mainly for the US market, but I thought I would see whether I could get it to work on my 2000 V6 Camry, so far no joy, much as I suspected.

Has anyone else tried or experimented with this or any similar units? Iwould be interested in any info.

I have made a cable up using pin data extracted from my 1MZ-FE factory manual which seems to indicate all I need is 12V, Gnd and Data. I can plug the unit into the underdash OBD/DLC3 connector and the unit boots up OK but eventually times out with and "Error" display . I am waiting for my son to come over with an oscilloscope to look at what the data stream looks like, but in the meantime if anyone has some advice?????

While the manual says OBDII, I think it is Toyotas version of it. The manual states "The vehicle's ECU uses ISO 9141-2 for communications. The terminal arrangement of DLC3 comp;ies with SAE J1962 and matches ISO 9141- format."

TIA for any info.

Hi all,

I have just bought myself, as a project, an Equss 3100 OBD II fault code reader. The unit is designed mainly for the US market, but I thought I would see whether I could get it to work on my 2000 V6 Camry, so far no joy, much as I suspected.

Sorry I cant cast any light on your problem. I was think about doing the same thing but using a laptop and some OBD II software. Let us know how you go ?

So far I have had to make up an interface cable which matches as best as I can figure the Camry layout and the unit boots up but doesn't appear to be reading the data if any is being transmitted and comes up with an "Error" display. I'm off th NZ next week and will have to wait till I return and will get my son to bring home a CRO and see what is present on the data line. As usual with standards, they're all the same but different.

I have been told that the BA falcons and after are very US type compliant, just got to find someone who owns one.

I'm not over worried about it as it was only got as a project and it one of those tools you hope you never have to use.

I would have liked to go down the PC + software path but just now cannot justify the costs of getting a new laptop etc.

G'day,

I have a similar story. Bought a scanner while living in USA. Worked on everything over there. I have a 1999 V6 Camry in Oz. Has the connector maked OBD-II under the dash. Of course it does not work. I contacted Toyota through their website and eventually got the following:

==============================================

Dear Mr Jones

Thank you for your email. In reference to your enquiry your vehicle is

manufactured at a time when the Camry was being switched to OBD - II

compliant.

You will need to have this clarified by a Toyota Dealer.

Thank you for contacting the Customer Relations Department

Kind regards

Corinne French

===============================================

Have a look at another post of mine "Bizarre Idle" to see how to get error codes out of the ECU without a trip to the dealer.

Hope this helps.

OK I read your other post(Bizzare Idle) and I will try to answer some of your questions as best I can.

While the manuals state it is OBDII, it most definitely is not, leastwise US. I have a 1MZE_FE factory manual and looking at the connector layout confirms this, hence my attempt to make in interface cable to try and match it to what the scanner is trying to see.

The connector pin layout is upside down and back to front from a normal OBDII(US) layout, and appears to be one of the other OBDII "Standards", but I suspect the OZ version is something else again.

The only thing I can say in relation to the underdash connector is that the dustcap has OBDII embossed on it and it is a 16 pin type as used for OBDII.

As i said I will have to wait till I return from NZ (end Nov)and see if I can track down anything when my son brings an oscilloscope around. I don't hold out any great hopes that I will be able to get this unit working on my Camry but I will keep trying as long as I can.

The scanner I have is an Equus 3100. The handbook has over 50 pages of fault codes listed but are all 4 digit, so I can't be of much help there, unless you can find out what the 4 digit ones are. The factory manual has only a few 4 digit codes codes listed.

I also found Toyota to be as helpful as you did.

I have also tried reconfiguring the pins in the plug to match the USA OBD-II layout and hence my scanner.

I used the USA wiring diagram of the series 4 camry. I traced the wires in my camry from the plug back to the ECU to make sure I was not going to connect anything where I should not.

Essentially, I rewired the plug so that my camry was the same as a USA camry.

It did not work of course. I guess my particular car was made before Toyota switched to OBD-II compliance. I would love to try my scanner on a later model series 4.

Good luck with the CRO.

Damian.

• 3 weeks later...

This is some US date but it gives us a starting point.

Toyota Camry 1997 ISO9141-2/ISO14230-4 Gasoline United States

Toyota Camry 2000 ISO9141-2/ISO14230-4

Toyota Camry 2002 ISO9141-2/ISO14230-4

Toyota Camry XLE 2004 ISO9141-2/ISO14230-4 Gasoline United States

Toyota Camry XLE 2004 ISO9141-2/ISO14230-4

• 3 weeks later...

The 1st OBD2 Camry in the us was 1994, the 1st year of the 1MZ-FE V6. ALL cars int he US had it no later then 1996, when it was mandated by the Government.

USDM OBD2 connector:

OBD2.jpg

Edited by ASG14

• 11 months later...
Hi all,

Has anyone else tried or experimented with this or any similar units? Iwould be interested in any info.

I have made a cable up using pin data extracted from my 1MZ-FE factory manual which seems to indicate all I need is 12V, Gnd and Data. I can plug the unit into the underdash OBD/DLC3 connector and the unit boots up OK but eventually times out with and "Error" display . I am waiting for my son to come over with an oscilloscope to look at what the data stream looks like, but in the meantime if anyone has some advice?????

While the manual says OBDII, I think it is Toyotas version of it. The manual states "The vehicle's ECU uses ISO 9141-2 for communications. The terminal arrangement of DLC3 comp;ies with SAE J1962 and matches ISO 9141- format."

TIA for any info.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum too and I'm interested in any information / solutions to this OBD II connector.

I purchased a SCANGUAGE II which does a whole lot of amazing things via the OBD2 port found just under the dash.

Well, I guess it came as no surprise that it didn't work.

The unit kept "connecting...." but didn't fire up. ( I tried the unit in a current Holden Astra and there was no problems)

My understanding is that the OBD2 connector in Aussie Toyota cars are not fully compliant to the OBD2 standards until about 2005-6.... whereas similar Toyotas in the USA were compliant since about 1995.

Clearly I'm disappointed that the SCANGUAGE II doesn't work on my Camry or my Rav but I was wondering what the purpose of the labelled OBD2 port is in our vehicles? Is it a cut down version or is the wiring different? Any help would be appreciated.

I'll be sending my units back to the place I purchased them (They have been good at offering a full money return)... but if I find a solution to this issue I would go and buy it again.

Whilst on this topic... has anyone been successful in retrofitting a trip computer into a Camry 6?

Cheers

I think leasaunce has a scanguage and might be able to shed some light on this... (maybe) one of his posts from camcrew about a reply from scanguage.

The ScanGauge requires the vehicle to be either OBDII or EOBD compatible. In the US and Canada, cars and light trucks were required to be OBDII compatible starting in 1996. In Europe, EOBD was phased in between 2002 and 2004. Other parts of the world have required one of them starting in various years.

Many vehicles made and/or sold outside the US and Canada had one of the protocols before they were required in that country. This was to allow sales to other countries and because they knew they would eventually be required to meet the requirements and designed it in when they redesigned a particular model.

There is no comprehensive list of when particular vehicles began using OBDII or EOBD outside the US and Canada.

Most pre-2003 Toyotas sold outside the US were JOBD compatible. The ScanGaugeII will not work on a JOBD vehicle.

Ron

Hope this might help a little, with the scanguage and code readers

Edited by BlindEyeSight

• 8 years later...

Since I was looking for the answer myself and google bought me here, I have an answer:

Source

After revisiting, I finally got my generic ELM 327 bluetooth OBD scan tool to work with my 2004 corolla sportivo!!

turned out the initial “handshake” needed to communicate with the ECU is quite particular, so when running the TORQUE application on galaxy S4, I set up a vehicle profile for the sportivo, then scroll all the way down to the “custom conflagration string” field an input the following:

ATIB 96 \n ATIIA 13 \n ATSH8113F1 \n ATSP A4 \n ATSW00

and here is what it does/means:

ATIB 96 \n     –    set the ISO baud rate to 9600
ATIIA 13 \n     –    set ISO (slow) init adress to 13
ATSH8113F1 \n     –    set Header to 8113F1
ATSP A4 \n     –    set protocol to Auto, 4 and save it

ATSW00        –    set wakeup interval to 00 x 20 msec

hope this helps anyone who has encountered the same problem

• Like 1