Technical Dictionary/Glossary

ok guys this is the thread to put all your technical term questions eg..

VVT-i and VVTL-i

What is VVTL-i ?

In addition to VVT-i, VVTL-i also incorporates a changeover mechanism that varies both the amount of lift and the duration of valve opening of both the intake and exhaust valves. The VVTL-i mechanism uses two different sets of cams on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts to provide different settings for low/medium engine speeds and high engine speeds. This makes it possible to produce very high engine output (power) without sacrificing fuel economy or torque at lower engine speeds. (Note how flat the torque curve is.)

How does VVTL-i work?

The Toyota 2ZZ-GE features different sets of cam lobes on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts for low/medium and high engine speeds. When the engine speed exceeds 6000r/min and the engine water temperature exceeds 60 degrees Centigrade, the ECU activates an oil control valve that pressurises oil passages in the inlet and exhaust camshafts. This activates a cam changeover mechanism on each set of cam lobes which ‘locks’ the cam rollers onto the high-speed cam profiles. The result is that the lift of the intake and exhaust valves is extended, enhancing the engine's 'breathing' and power.

Video

ABS - Anti-Lock Braking System: A system connected to the braking mechanism in the vehicle, designed to prevent the car from skidding.

as the list grows myself and the other mods will update this first post.

1zz-fe - The one refers to it being the 1st generation of the ZZ series engines, fe is Toyota speak for economy tune.

2zz-ge - The 2 refers to it being the 2nd generation of the ZZ series engines, ge is Toyota speak for performance tune.

FE = Economy

GE = Performance

GZE = Performance Supercharged

GTE = Performance Turbo Charged.

ZZE121, ZZE122, ZZE123 denote what model it is, ZZE122 is the hatch in 1zz-fe engine form, ZZE123 is the hatch in 2zz-fe form.

FTW - For The Win

• Like 2

got a few terms im still trying to wrap my head round.

1ZZ?

2ZZ?

121?

122?

123?

these are particularly confusing... i kinda understand that 2zz referz to sportivos VVT-LI engine yea? no? and the 1ZZ referz to VVT-I yea?no? and the 121,122,123 termz have been used in a similar way although apparently the 121 is the sedan? 122 is hatch? 123 is sportivo? im pretty sure im getting it wrong somewhere along the way here...

N/A? is that referring to the engine being stock, not supercharged/ turbo?

1ZZ?

2ZZ?

121?

122?

123?

these are particularly confusing... i kinda understand that 2zz referz to sportivos VVT-LI engine yea? no? and the 1ZZ referz to VVT-I yea?no? and the 121,122,123 termz have been used in a similar way although apparently the 121 is the sedan? 122 is hatch? 123 is sportivo? im pretty sure im getting it wrong somewhere along the way here...

1zz-fe - The one refers to it being the 1st generation of the ZZ series engines, fe is Toyota speak for economy tune.

2zz-ge - The 2 refers to it being the 2nd generation of the ZZ series engines, ge is Toyota speak for performance tune.

FE = Economy

GE = Performance

ZZE121, ZZE122, ZZE123 denote what model it is, ZZE122 is the hatch in 1zz-fe engine form, ZZE123 is the hatch in 2zz-fe form.

Lift

1. to move or bring (something) upward from the ground or other support to a higher position; hoist.

2. to raise or direct upward:

3. a lemon flavoured fizzy drink made by Coca Cola

4. the fine art of taking a 2ZZ-GE powered corolla over 6000rpm and discovering nirvana :D

Therefore, the art of landing in lift is either

a. landing in a lemon flavoured fizzy drink made by Coca Cola.... or......

b. shifting gears fast enough to not let the 2ZZ drop below 6000rpm and remain in the state of nirvana

:D :yahoo:

What would the terms be for the sedan&wagon corollas be?

What would the terms be for the sedan&wagon corollas be?

Wagons have a G at the back.

ZZE123G is a wagon with a 2zzGE.

Z series corolla wagons are called Fielders in Japan.

CF = Carbon Fibre

NA or N/A = Normally Aspirated (ie No forced induction)

FI or F/I = Forced Induction (ie Turbo Charged/Supercharged)

SC = Supercharger

TB = Turbo Charger

IC = Intercooler

FM or FMIC = Front Mount Intercooler.

Catback = Exhaust System from the Catalytic Converter to the back of the Car.

Axle Back = Exhaust System from the rear axle to the back of the car (Usually just the rear muffler only)

CAI = Cold Air Intake

SRI = Short Ram Intake

Strut or Damper = Shock Absorber.

Coilover = Strut and Coil combined as one unit, designed in most cases to allow for adjustability in Stiffness and Ride Height.

ECU = Engine Control Unit/Engine Computer

MAF Sensor = Mass Air Flow Sensor(?), Sensor on air intake which measures and sends information to ecu on variables such as Intake Temp, Air Flow Mass etc. Engine computer then adjusts fuel and ignition timing accordingly.

Edited by IZZ-FE

From the TOCAU Concise Dictionary, 5th Edition

RICE: 1. Unnecessary cosmetic modifications that allegedly provide "massive power gains yO!" 2. Anything chrome

Kaisen - It is Japanese for "change for the better" or "improvement", the English translation is "continuous improvement", or "continual improvement."

Kaisen can be further explored thorugh - LEAN - The concept of continuous improvement, is based on the principle of 'slight adjustments, causing substaintial improvements' i.e. Project El Cheapo

examples of this can be seen in Cold Air Intakes, Suspension and exhaust Modifications - with benchmarking tools such as Lap times, Dynometer Results, G-Tech, and also 400m results. In this forum, there is a mixture of both Kaisen & BLING (see definition below)

*for more information - use the 'search function'- see BangN, Northy, SB...and others

The opposite of Kaisen, is RICE - (see Tayles explaination or google LANCER)

BLING - the practice of individualism based on the shine of one's ride. For example, Chrome accoutrements which are commonly wheels and interior engine bay work. The BLING FACTOR, which is the level of respect a car and their owner gain when judged by their peers, is usually determined through the level of attention to detail they put into their ride. For example, a chrome plated snorkel or engine cover.

Although Bling may commonly be linked to RICE - it is a misconsception that they are related. For RICE, the RICE owner has the belief that their additions will add extra power; however the BLING owner will tune according to style and will see no need for RICE "performance" orientated modifications - i.e. ICE (in car entertainment).

In the world of BLING, the owner will want to go at their own pace (which maynot always be necessarily fast - i.e. Chapel/Lygon and other Shopping strips are limited to 40km), as their rides, which are works of art - moving 'mona lisa's' which requires to be driven at 'cruise' speeds to allow their audience to respect their rides :toast:

*for more information - use the 'search function'- see BigBum

Edited by RME1

To continue the LEAN principles drawn from the TPS (Toyota Production System) one must also take into account GAMBA, in essence the boss on the floor looking at what is going on.

For many people this can be viewed as:

Your wife/girlfriend walking into your garage, wanting to know what the hell you are doing at 3AM in the shed with your car ... instead of in bed asleep.

At the very worst, one can then expect to recieve a KAN BAN (pronounced Karn Barn in the USA) which is translated as a visual signal for the production to move on to another location; and at very best a pull of the ANDON cord (or public notification of a problem); whereby production is stopped until all problems have been solved. The pulling of the ANDON or issuance of a KAN BAN can possibly be interpreted as or represented by "GET YOUR A%#@ OUT OF THAT ^#&@ING CAR" (and onto the couch, where you will sleep for what feels like an eternity). The KAN BAN is part of the Pull System; which one may be required to do after experiencing a GAMBA from the wife/girlfriend whereby she leaves or kicks you and your SOH (Significant Other Half, aka your CAR) out.

The departing of wife/girlfriend can at times be seen as part of the KAISEN; if your car is deemed to be vital and important; she was distracting you from your work. The time spent with your former wife or girlfriend may also be viewed as MUDA or waste, within your work on your SOH and as such under the TPS must be removed; she may not have been exactly value adding to the production system employed by you and your mates.

In all cases the feminine pronoun can be substituted by a masculine one.

some variations may occur in translation - will be happy to modify any wording that may be incorrect.

Edited by bafittler
  • Like 1

WTF is FTW? half the people in here use the term?!

im guessing they arent one and the same...

FTW - For The Win

FTBFMFL :P

you got to be sh!ttin me! now what the hell is that?! hahahhaa

• 3 weeks later...

1ZZ?

2ZZ?

121?

122?

123?

FE = Economy

GE = Performance

so should your car say if its the first or second gen (1zz/2zz)? if not how do you know wich one it is? bought mine second hand so i dont know.

1ZZ?

2ZZ?

121?

122?

123?

FE = Economy

GE = Performance

so should your car say if its the first or second gen (1zz/2zz)? if not how do you know wich one it is? bought mine second hand so i dont know.

The only Australian Corolla's that came with 2ZZ-GE engine are the Corolla Sportivo's

This link may be helpful to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine

1ZZ?

2ZZ?

121?

122?

123?

FE = Economy

GE = Performance

The only Australian Corolla's that came with 2ZZ-GE engine are the Corolla Sportivo's

This link may be helpful to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine

grima88 to the rescue again your champ :yahoo: thanks again now i know what ive got where do you get all this info?