Carputer Sound Q

negatron

Dear all carputer ppl.

I've ponder for this for ages, but how's the sound Q for your carputers?

i assume most of you are using the onboard sound card. if i'm picky about the sound, what upgrades can u think of?

creative Exigy?

I'm not convinced that than can produce the level of SQ i'm used to with my current gear tho.

any suggestions?

Edited by negatron

Mine runs through the onboard sound and into the RCA inputs in the my headunit. The SQ is a little crackly (background noise only and difficult to notice when the music is going), but I'm trying to get to the bottom of the cause of this still as it could have to do with the routing path of the RCA cables, I've tryed a few different paths with no improvement, so I'll see if a noise filter will do the trick (there is engine noise from the alternator too).

The biggest factor for music SQ though is the program that plays the music as they all differ in the way they process the data from the MP3, WMA, etc files and have differing clarity.

I've found that running my music through Roxio player or Musicmatch (Yahoo music player, the bastards ruined otherwise awesome software though) I get better SQ then through the Centrafuse Media Centre (which I think used a Winamp derived system.

yep i'm running from the headphone out on my carputer, and splitting it into 2 RCA channels - front and sub...

to be honest, i think the sound is pretty decent, even though im running everything off a single unpowered headphone output... as long as you set your amp up right, you shouldnt have a problem.

of course its not going to compare with a 24bit DAC signal coming out of some fancy head unit, but i'm totally satisfied with what i get.

ultimately, i would buy an external USB sound card (i've been looking at the audigy NX or something), but im happy enough with what i have that i can't justify it.

I found out I had earthed the amp signal ground (I have no amp connected... yet) instead of the main power ground, which was the cause of the engine noise through the carputer line... since fixing this it's all good. :)

But still, the SQ through the centrifuse media driver is not as great as others, but it's still good.

• 1 year later...

I find the SQ i get from my ASUS eeePC is fairly decent, it is definitely alot better than my ipod (which i use via an ipod controller for music in the car)

I connect it via the AUX input on my head unit (eclipse cd4000)