What does "MY06" mean ?

I am interested in the meaning of MY06 in the model names of cars. First time I ran into it was on insurance company websites.

I can guess what it means but am not sure and would like to verify

Cheers

it's a model number.

Eg the first bugeye WRX was an MY01, the MY02 had some slight updates, MY03 had a light change, MY06 another facelift with light and interior change

it's a model number.

Yeah i'm aware of the Subaru numbering.

However Model Year is a different concept but it's not something we generally see in Australia, if it's built in 2006 then it's a 2006 model. Call a spade a spade ;)

However i've often seen overseas models released as next years model even if they started production in the current year.

The model year of a product is a number used to describe approximately when a product was produced. The model year and the actual year of production don't always coincide, however.

In the United States, automobile model years traditionally start in the third quarter of the preceding year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_year

Edited by Conquest

I thought it meant May 06, as that time last year Toyota added in the extra options for free, ie for the Conquest: ABS as standard, Accent: Alloys as standard etc etc.

I believe it is "make year" as some people will say they have a 2007 model as that is when it was imported or first registered but might have been made in 2006. The true indication of age is what year it was made. Hence why insurance companies always want to know if it is MY05, MY06, etc. Subaru was just the first people to make this a public abreviation thats why people tie it to them.

I thought it meant May 06, as that time last year Toyota added in the extra options for free

Hmm, what is it about May? My car was part of the May '03 upgrade which for the Conquest included standard alloys & all power windows rather than fronts only, while I believe the interior trim also got a slight upgrade aswell.

When choosing insurance there were two brackets but I don't know if that changes model year or make year. Maybe the ones built prior to May were considered part of MY03 while the ones built after May were considered MY04.

Where's melvinlau or any other Toyota rep ;)

Edited by Conquest

I am interested in the meaning of MY06 in the model names of cars. First time I ran into it was on insurance company websites.

I can guess what it means but am not sure and would like to verify

Cheers

MY06 model of Subrau Imprezas FWIW.

I have rung a number of dealers this morning from all breeds (Toyota, Subaru, Holden, Ford, Honda, Mitsubishi & Mazda) and they all said the same thing.

The abbreviation of MYxx is and acronym of "Model Year". eg, my Sportivo is a MY04 indicating that it is a 2004 Model.

Toyota, Holden & Mitsubishi dealers both indicated that they utilise a system on occasions such as what Ash identified where his car is a MY06.5 where the '.5' donates an upgrade to the original '06 model.

All dealers also noted to me that none of them use this as their official naming convention of their model's, with the exception of Subaru who utilise it in leui of other naming conventions.

Hope this clears the air.

Hmm, what is it about May? My car was part of the May '03 upgrade which for the Conquest included standard alloys & all power windows rather than fronts only, while I believe the interior trim also got a slight upgrade aswell.

When choosing insurance there were two brackets but I don't know if that changes model year or make year. Maybe the ones built prior to May were considered part of MY03 while the ones built after May were considered MY04.

Purely coincidence. No dealers will specify a particular time of year for model updates or releases. The only exception to the rule was Holden who use to release 2 'Extra Value' editions of their Commodores each year. I think from memory it was the Equipe for a 2nd Quarter Release and the Acclaim was a 4th quarter release, but I think they stopped it. I know for the VX The Lumina became the new Equipe as the 2nd quarter release, but I don't think they allign like they used to when I worked for Holden.

Cheers

Aaron

I thought it meant May 06, as that time last year Toyota added in the extra options for free

I have rung a number of dealers this morning from all breeds (Toyota, Subaru, Holden, Ford, Honda, Mitsubishi & Mazda) and they all said the same thing.

The abbreviation of MYxx is and acronym of "Model Year". eg, my Sportivo is a MY04 indicating that it is a 2004 Model.

Toyota, Holden & Mitsubishi dealers both indicated that they utilise a system on occasions such as what Ash identified where his car is a MY06.5 where the '.5' donates an upgrade to the original '06 model.

All dealers also noted to me that non of them use this as their official naming convention of their model's, with the exception of Subaru who utilise it in leui of other naming conventions.

Hope this clears the air.

Cheers

Aaron

Holy sh!t!

Bored much Azza? I want your job :o

Purely coincidence. No dealers will specify a particular time of year for model updates or releases. The only exception to the rule was Holden who use to release 2 'Extra Value' editions of their Commodores each year. I think from memory it was the Equipe for a 2nd Quarter Release and the Acclaim was a 4th quarter release, but I think they stopped it. I know for the VX The Lumina became the new Equipe as the 2nd quarter release, but I don't think they allign like they used to when I worked for Holden.

Cheers

Aaron

I thought Acclaim was a standard spec model for Commodores (VP-VZ I think), one above Executive competing against the Futura

Cheers for the input, guys.

I guessed it was "Model Year" or similar to designate differences between model revisions manufactered in the same year. Toyota specifies that the 2006 Corolla changed May 06 too, so that confused the issue for me.

The insurance choices were:

i) 2006 Corolla Ascent Seca

ii) 2006 Corolla Ascent Seca MY06

iii) 2006 Corolla Ascent Seca MY06 Upgrade - Free passenger airbag, front power windows

By a process of elimination I guessed my car was iii) (was manufactured 15 Dec 06 and purchased Feb 2007 with free upgrades)

For some reason, when you online quote for option i) most insurers are quoting approx $900 but choosing option iii) gets quotes of approx $600. Large difference for what is basically the same car.

PS. Traded my 5L V8 commodore for the Corolla and it wasn't as hard a transition as I expected. Been driving it for 2 days and the Corolla is a relatively cheap and very impressive little package and the more I drive it, the more I like it