Hilux Diesel fuel economy

gregyeppoon

How old is the Hilux? Still under warranty?

I know you must need it everyday for work, but if it's going into limp mode for no reason at all, there must be some sort of fault with the ecu, the same fault can also be the cause of excessive fuel consumption, so I would take it back to the dealer to be rectified.

I know you must need it everyday for work, but if it's going into limp mode for no reason at all, there must be some sort of fault with the ecu, the same fault can also be the cause of excessive fuel consumption, so I would take it back to the dealer to be rectified.

Oooh believe me it has been back. About 40 times, they have replaced the injector pump, still stopped and just recently the fuel rail about two weeks ago. As the problem is intermittent I'm still waiting to see the outcome of this fix.

But with the fuel economy there seems to be a big difference between the SR5 auto and the SR manual. In all of the toyota specs and advertising they are supposed to be the same. But in reality the manual uses about 50% more fuel. Either toyota have got there sums very wrong or they are deliberately misleading anyone that buys an SR manual! That's why I want to get more figures to find out what the real story on fuel consumption is.

• 11 months later...

Oooh believe me it has been back. About 40 times, they have replaced the injector pump, still stopped and just recently the fuel rail about two weeks ago. As the problem is intermittent I'm still waiting to see the outcome of this fix.

But with the fuel economy there seems to be a big difference between the SR5 auto and the SR manual. In all of the toyota specs and advertising they are supposed to be the same. But in reality the manual uses about 50% more fuel. Either toyota have got there sums very wrong or they are deliberately misleading anyone that buys an SR manual! That's why I want to get more figures to find out what the real story on fuel consumption is.

What is your fuel economy? I have a SR Diesel manual (less than 5,000km) and I am only getting ~9 km/liter (or 11.1 l/100km). They advertise 12 km/liter. I have steel tray, and bull bar, which would have some effect, but not much. I drive very conservatively, as I am keen to monitor fuel consumption.

I have heard that the mileage improves as the engine wears-in, but not sure how many kms, or extent of improvement. My first chat with the dealer was that the mileage will improve with kms, but things have stabilised since about 2,000 kms.

• 1 month later...

Give it about 3000k's before your fuel economy stabilises. Haven't really heard about the new D4D's giving much trouble so as others ahve siad take it back to the dealer and demand a car and tell them you don't want it back till it's 100% fixed.

FYI I have a 99 SR5 dual cab 3.0 diesel with bullbar,canopy,trayliner and a few other extras and am getting fuel economy of roughly 450 to 530 km's to a tank full. (66 litre tank) That is mainly city driving in a lot of peak hour traffic. Highway driving is a lot better with a minimum of 520 to a tank.

• 2 years later...

Gregyeppoon,

I am a just-joined member to this forum and I am having the same concern with my October 2009 SR5 D4D manual single cab ute which has 16563 km on the clock. I keep a pretty strict log book of the car's fuel performance as I have done with every vehicle I have owned since 1972. Every day I drive it, I log the kms travelled as well as anything notable about its performance or anything else which needs any kind of attention. My method of keeping tabs on my fuel consumption is to fill the tank to exactly the same visible place in the fuel tank filler pipe (as I have done with all my vehicles) and then calculating fuel used between fills. I usually use the same service station and the same bowser to keep things as consistent as possible.

I have the following aftermarket add-ons - ARB bullbar, LRT replacing the standard tank, canopy on the standard tray, light tow bar, and snorkel. Since October 2009 my fuel consumption has remained in the vicinity of a low of 10.2 l/100km (9.7km/litrre) to a best of 11 l/100km (9.11km/litre) which I regard a very poor when compared to my old 2.8 3L single cab ute with the same accessories which I rarely ran at less than 9 l/100km.

I bought the KUN 26R on the basis that Toyota rated its fuel consumption at 8.3 l/100km. Fuel consumption is my chief concern when assessing a vehicle suitable for my needs. Both my last Hilux and the present one have had aftermarket cruise controls fitted and used whenever I have a steady run on open highways. I drive conservatively which annoys my mates.

My conclusion is that there is something very wrong with the way in which my vehicle pumps fuel to the injectors. The whole principle of the common rail injections system is that it is a much more efficient fuel delivery system. That was why it was invented, and usually, in passenger vehicles, it certainly is. Quite frankly, when I spoke to my local Toyota dealer on the occasion of a recent recall to do with the tail shaft, I did discuss my concerns with the fuel consumption. I mentioned the Hilux brochure stats and he simply said flat out that it wouldn't happen, ie 8.3l/100km. Whilst this figure is perhaps a bit optimistic, I do consider that my brand new vehicle should be doing at least as well as my old vehicle which had nearly 200,000km on a rebuilt motor, and which, right from the time of the rebuild obtained almost the same consumption figure by my method of calculation.

Whether my method of calculation is the most efficient, reliable or correct is not the issue. The issue is that at the very least, it is a consistent method of comparison between the two vehicles over time as well as how my vehicle's performance is changing over time.

I am pretty annoyed about this.

Dennis La Varenne

Edited by Dennis La Varenne

Interesting. I almost bought a D4D 2010 SR5 dual cab but after driving it, and then driving the 4.0L petrol with 5spd auto I was sold. SO i'm glad by hearing this that I bought the petrol not the diesel. I have also heard of lots of other problems with Thai made diesels, I think the petrol engines are still Japanese? It now has 4,000kM on it and is averaging 7.9km/l (approx 12.6L/100kM) all city driving and not conservatively. To me this is fantasitic consumption for such a big vehicle, although even with 4.0L it is still underpowered. When it gets a bit older a 6.0L Holden V8 conversion might be on the cards! For the meantime a better exhaust and a piggyback computer with dual map so I can run E85 might be the go.

• 2 months later...

Hi, 3 months ago i purchased a 2009 Dual Cab Hilux with 17800kms on the clock thinking that it would be a step forward in the way of fuel economy and practicality (previous car was a VY SS Ute). But i am quite peeved at the fact that i cant get decent fuel economy out of it. I have a steel tray and a bullbar much the same as any other hilux getting around and now at 27600kms it still wont perform or return economy. One tank of diesel will get me about 500-550kms sitting on about 110-115kph which in my books is not excessive, i could handle this if it had some sort of power. Any suggestions?? Dont really like going into dealers as they just seem to tell you what you want to hear.

Also has anyone heard of a 50%hp and a 40% torque program upgrade for the D4D engine that toyota were meant to be doing?

Hi, 3 months ago i purchased a 2009 Dual Cab Hilux with 17800kms on the clock thinking that it would be a step forward in the way of fuel economy and practicality (previous car was a VY SS Ute). But i am quite peeved at the fact that i cant get decent fuel economy out of it. I have a steel tray and a bullbar much the same as any other hilux getting around and now at 27600kms it still wont perform or return economy. One tank of diesel will get me about 500-550kms sitting on about 110-115kph which in my books is not excessive, i could handle this if it had some sort of power. Any suggestions?? Dont really like going into dealers as they just seem to tell you what you want to hear.

Also has anyone heard of a 50%hp and a 40% torque program upgrade for the D4D engine that toyota were meant to be doing?

Hi Maccat, do you have the diesel or petrol variant? 4x4 or 4x4? And what type of roads are you driving on? 550km is about right for the petrol on mixed type of roads.

Never heard of this power boost program you are talking about but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you..

• 2 months later...

I have a 2006 SR Turbo Diesel Hilux, got about 144 000 km up on the clock...from full to empty I have been getting up around the 650km mark...thats with city and high way driving - and not light footed either :P

Also i have a beaudesert exhaust which helps a bit too

Couldnt be happier with the diesel!

Oh and yeah if anyone was wanting to know, lots of info on newhilux.net regarding performance chips from companies like VMN or ChipIt...have proven to give 30 - 40% more power and torque...there are some problems depending on what year / month model your hilux was made but in general they are very good!

How good are 4WD's :D

• 2 weeks later...

my 2006 diesel returns around 9l/100k on cruising, 13l/100k when towing 2 ton trailer/race car.

it averages about 10l/100k around town with little to no load

never had a single problem since new

i have also been part of team that designed and retro-fitted a Motec onto a D4D. we got almost double the torque, but man did it belch black smoke.

most of the tuning modules we investigated were just rubbish. some simply altered the temp signal to fool it into thinking it was cold. others altered fuel pump pressure by a set amount. none of them did anything with turbo vane change or injection points

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1999 Toyota Hilux 3.0 non-turbo Diesel manual. I'm getting around 9 litres /100km and that can be driving it all day on off road bush tracks. I have an HHO gas system setup on my vehicle though. Without gas fuel consumption is up around 10.5-11L/100km.

Edited by aussiematty

• 1 year later...

It is quite interesting the figures quuted by Toyota. I used to own a 05 hilux single cab sr 4.0 V6 manual 150,000km with tools,canopy, roof racks etc and was getting roughly 13.0L/100km everytime (Toyota claims 12.5L/100km) and now i have purchased a 07 dual cab turbo diesel model manual with the same setup and now im getting roughly 8.8L/100km (Toyota claims 8.1L/100km). Im not that far from the claimed however i do believe the factory claims to be a bit ambitious

Factory fuel usage claims are made by testing the vehicle under set conditions that aren't real world relevant - this is true for the majority of car manufacturers out there.

If you get 10-11L/100km for your D4D Hilux (4x4) around town then that's right on the money with what the majority of other users get. If you're getting better, GREAT. If not, then you'll need to investigate why (things like loss of cylinder compressor, lower fuel rail pressures, dodgy injectors etc)

With a 2wd D4D, expect 9-10L/100km.

The good thing with the diesels though is that the economy isn't too dependent on your right foot. I can drive mine hard or go easy and return similar economy figures. In fact I just spent a few days offroading up the beach at Coolum and with high revving, constant hard working at low speeds (and even a fair bit of towing another 4x4 at the end) my economy only went to 14L/100km.

Try doing that with a petrol under those same conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 D4D SR5 Auto with a hard rear cover and average 8.8L per 100km/h. We ahve a fleet of D4D's at work and find that stylesides with torneau covers get the best economy. Traybacks alsways use about 2l/100km more than the stylesides.

I have a 2012 D4D SR5 Auto with a hard rear cover and average 8.8L per 100km/h. We ahve a fleet of D4D's at work and find that stylesides with torneau covers get the best economy. Traybacks alsways use about 2l/100km more than the stylesides.

That's reasonable, as adding a tray to them makes them about as aerodynamic as a shed full of russian airplane parts

• 4 weeks later...

2012 SR5 XC TD with Flexiglass canopy and ladder. Standard tank which I think is 65 ltr. I'm getting about 650 per tank not driving economically and a bit over 700 driving nicely. I had the 2007 SR5 4Lt XC with canopy and LPG. This was far more economical and faster on both fuels. I had a write off and couldn't get the exact same model new and settled for a diesel. I regret it and when I'm done with this one I'm going back to petrol even if it means having a four door. I don't understand why people think TD is superior to petrol unless you're carrying several cows on the tray or something.

I owned a 4 litre prado,same engine as the hilux, which I thought wasnt too bad on fuel and offered great performance, I think if you towing and carrying heavy loads yes the diesel is slightly better on fuel but I dont think its that much better, most people dont relise is diesels cost more to service and maintain and if you have got to replace injectors or fuel pumps be prepaired to spend up big, the v6 petrol on the other hand there isnt much to go wrong, the 4litre v6 is a absolute perler of a engine.

Toyota know how to build great v6 engines.

The tank in all Hilux's from 2005 onwards is 75L, petrol or diesel.

If you're getting 650km to a tank in a v6, then congratulations you've got a rare find there unless you're doing alot of highway kms. The majority of v6 owners average around 15L or so combined cycle and that gets worse off road. Diesels get around 10 to 10.5 and that goes upto around 12L off road.

If you have a supercharged v6 it gets even worse on average.

I don't know where the idea that diesels cost so much more to service came from, you don't even need to worry about plugs and leads - it's pretty much just oil and filter, plus the occasion fuel filter every 25,000km (about $20). The only expensive problem you will have is if the injectors go, and that's mostly occurs when putting cheap or contaminated diesel in it. Mine's an 05 model with the original injectors and I had them tested 2 months ago and they're still in spec.

Both engines have their place - if you're a tradie or like going off road alot then the diesel is the best option by far when it comes to heavy loads or low speed torque.

Toyota, & other big makers have been proven liars on fuel economy claims before this, and I expect that will continue. A good figure is 3.3KWHr/liter is available from diesel fuel in a good motor. Petrol motors do worse, and large scale specialized single speed diesels do a bit better. If you know the power your deloping, you know your fuel consumption/hr & vv. I do not know the algorrithyms for EFI diesels. Mechanical fuel injection is my preferred mode, as it has superior reliability and usually slower failures, alowing time to get home for repairs. Also, they are still very common, and can be repaired in the field, rather than towed back to major citiy for module replacement repairs by people whom are too often technically incompetent and cost too much. Retail electronic car parts are expensive, and are rarely warrantied for very long. It doesn't take much to upset them. Their primary advantage is they a cheap to make & install and give better mettering. When it comes to retail prices-BYO defibrilator. A mech pump rebuild is abt $4K last I heard, and it should run for >15 yrs after that. EFI is a con to make money out of motorists, tho it has ecological advantages. If your car is EFI & petrol, have a spare carb you can bolt-on when the system fails.

Edited by Manxman