18's

Netz

Hi Guys, How are you all doing?

I am wanting to know if anyone has 18's on their sportivo and did they have any problems in terms of the size. I notice the most of you have gone for 17's so I am thinking that there must be a reason for it......

Thanks for your help and I look foward to meeting some of you at the next meet :)

I've chosen 17"s just for the reason that I travel on alot of rough surfaces, therefore I didn't want to have any less that a 45 profile tyre to maintain a level of comfort and not to cause damage to the rim when hitting potholes.

18"s shouldn't be a problem - KoroLa883 has 18"s fitted. ;)

Hi Guys, How are you all doing?

I am wanting to know if anyone has 18's on their sportivo and did they have any problems in terms of the size. I notice the most of you have gone for 17's so I am thinking that there must be a reason for it......

Thanks for your help and I look foward to meeting some of you at the next meet :)

Yes 18" do fit the stivo, it's call the 2+ option, you just require lower profile tyre's.

As per IZZ-FE for practicality purposes, 17" is better. Also tyres are cheaper.

Check out Peakey34, Ilivfor6, E-Gene and TRD_141 Rims, all very nice, all 17".

I will be keeping my stock for now. Spending on suspension first.

19" is the largest wheel diameter you could put on a stivo but this would be unroadworthy.

to be roadworthy you can only upsize plus 2 for the diameter and plus 1 for the width. so a stivo could have 18 x 7

but will insurance cover you? although the road law gives you plus 1 for the width most insurance companies will only cover for plus 0.5

giving 18 x 6.5

the diameter should not be the problem holding you back but the wheel width, offset and tyre you get. people often neglect to think about this.

Yep have check with my insurance and they said no prob. :)

1zz-fe is right, with 18" u might loose some confort over 17" due to lower profile tyres. But i don't mind, because i have a fat *****, so it is still comfortable for me :D :D

So netz go for 18", man.

• 2 weeks later...
19" is the largest wheel diameter you could put on a stivo but this would be unroadworthy.

That's bull. At least that is the case in Victoria.

In Victoria, you can get ANY SIZE rim diameter, but maximum of one inch wider than the largest specified width by the manufacturer (according to your tyre placard).

having said that, you are not allowed to increase the overal diameter (from top of your tyre to the bottom) by 15mm.

www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html - what's the standard size? Say, 205/50/R16?

You can fit:

205/45/R17

215/45/R17

215/40/R17 <-- optimal size

205/40/R18

215/35/R18 <-- optimal size

205/35/R19 <-- just legal

205/30/R19

215/30/R19 <-- optimal size

195/30/R20 <-- nobody makes this size though....

here we go. From the VicRoads website, Vehicle Standards Information 8:

8. WHEELS AND TYRES

Replacement wheels and tyres may be fitted provided that they comply with the following requirements:

The width of any replacement rim must not be:

* more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or

* less than the width of the narrowest rim specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.

The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

* more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or

* more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.

The wheels and tyres must not foul any part of the body, suspension, steering or brake components at any position of the suspension travel or steering movement and, when in the straight ahead position, the guard or bodywork of the vehicle must cover the section width of the tyre.

I rest my case. 8)

• 3 months later...
Yep have check with my insurance and they said no prob.  :) 

1zz-fe is right, with 18" u might loose some confort over 17" due to lower profile tyres. But i don't mind, because i have a fat *****, so it is still comfortable for me :D  :D

So netz go for 18", man.

hey there guys i have 18s on our car and havent lost any performance fromour car . then its all in the way u set your suspension up .. the rolling diameter hasnt changed .. if anything it hooks up a bit quicker because of the stiffer wall side .. hey this is just my opinion cheers :D and happy rolling

With larger rims, you will get less sidewall flex and hence less bodyroll. However, you will get a harsher ride because you have less air in the tyres as padding/insulation, and also you will have slower acceleration due to a larger mass that the engine has to produce to turn the wheels. As a result, you will also have less torque.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note regarding what Tangcla posted about Vic regs, here in Queensland the rules are almost identical except you can go 25mm less than the smallest diameter for the vehicle, and the width of the new tyres must be no more than 30% wider than the widest available tyre for the vehicle.

So in Queensland, the maximum width of tyre you can put on is a 245. That puts Bridgestone's suggestion of 285/30R18 out of the question for us Queenslanders. Sorry fellas! :P

I'm wondering if Tangcla can just clarify something for me ... he said that the with a bigger rim/tyre combo you will have less torque. I would have thought that the engine would still produce the same amount of torque, it would just need more of it (and therefore, you need to use more revs) to get the heavier wheels moving. However, I did fail physics in high school, so I've been wrong before!

I'm wondering if Tangcla can just clarify something for me ... he said that the with a bigger rim/tyre combo you will have less torque.  I would have thought that the engine would still produce the same amount of torque, it would just need more of it (and therefore, you need to use more revs) to get the heavier wheels moving.  However, I did fail physics in high school, so I've been wrong before!

It's got to do with the fact that the rims are heavier, you are sacrificing a lot of precious engine output to get those heavy-***** mofos moving! :lol:

here we go. From the VicRoads website, Vehicle Standards Information 8:
8. WHEELS AND TYRES

Replacement wheels and tyres may be fitted provided that they comply with the following requirements:

The width of any replacement rim must not be:

* more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or

* less than the width of the narrowest rim specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.

The overall diameter of any replacement rim and tyre must not be:

* more than 15mm greater than largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series; or

* more than 15mm less than the smallest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series.

The wheels and tyres must not foul any part of the body, suspension, steering or brake components at any position of the suspension travel or steering movement and, when in the straight ahead position, the guard or bodywork of the vehicle must cover the section width of the tyre.

I rest my case. 8)

Arise an old topic, havent post for a while on this one.

The only exception to the rule is that you have a "engineers certificate and full test results" and then it may pass via the local trafic authority pits. But it will cost big banana's $$$$$.

From the forum and many people who have aftermarket wheels, the best for looks and driving, the 17" are the way to go. Go larger, and they look good, but driving suffers unless you upgrade the suspension of the vehicle.

Also your insurance premiums will hit the roof.

My 2 cent worth.

Edited by sport1vo

It's got to do with the fact that the rims are heavier, you are sacrificing a lot of precious engine output to get those heavy-***** mofos moving! :lol:

So we're basically on the same wave length, that's cool. :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Just spotted a Black S'tivo in my work Carpark. Was in the Visitors section, think it was a courier. ( I work near Maroubra in Sydney)

I stopped to check it out as it had a massif set of Wheels on it. :unsure: Closer inspection they are 19" with Pirelli rubber, 35 profile. Cant remember width, but they look like rubber bands with that tiny profile. B) :P

The wheels were gold and stuck outside the front guards by about 2 cm. So they probably would have rubbed, but the tyres didn't look damaged.

As has been said you can put any diameter wheel on, what is important is the Offset and increasing the overall diameter.

Cheers

T.

As has been said you can put any diameter wheel on, what is important is the Offset and increasing the overall diameter.

More accurately - you can put any diameter wheel on, whether it is legal is another question :P