Just Bought A Toyota Stout

Chobis

Okay I'm new to this forum and the classic Toyota scene. Not new to cars, or classic cars, but my mechanical knowledge is....... well....... let's just say I will be asking questions. :help:

I just bought a '65 Stout last Sunday from a property about an hour out of Adelaide. :D I love this thing. I had never seen one before, but once I saw it I had to have it. It's straight as, no rust, well just some surface rust in the tray. Everything works, even starts no worries and doesn't blow smoke. Hasn't been driven in the last 8 years or so apparently. Needs a bit of a going over from a safety perspective as it has no brakes at the moment, but I hope to get it on the road with minimal expense.

My only problem is.......... I know nothing about this car and can't find anything on the net, so............. anyone with any info or web links to info would be greatly appreciated by me.

Here it is:

My1965ToyotaStout_02.jpg

I know nothing either. I just wanted to say that it reminds me of Mater, the character from Cars :clap:

Ehehe....... yeh I never even thought of that, but I can see how it could remind you of Mater. Great movie.

My only problem is.......... I know nothing about this car and can't find anything on the net, so............. anyone with any info or web links to info would be greatly appreciated by me.

The only other Stout i've seen was Rod from Toymods & here's a link to the sale thread on the old forums.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=m...rt=0#msg_180429

The new Toymods forum is located here & they could probably give you a bit more info...

http://www.toymods.net/forums/

The only other Stout i've seen was Rod from Toymods & here's a link to the sale thread on the old forums.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=m...rt=0#msg_180429

The new Toymods forum is located here & they could probably give you a bit more info...

http://www.toymods.net/forums/

Thanks heaps Conquest. Yeh I had managed to spot that thread and have a look at the Toymods Forum, but that was the only post I found on there. I appreciate the input though, cos it may have been something I hadn't found. Once I get the car to my place and can start messing about with it I guess I will have a better idea what I need help with and then maybe I can post up questions and someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

I knew this car was pretty rare, but I had no idea it was going to be this hard to find info on it.

Anyone else with any tips, PLEASE just post up what you know or where you think I could get more info. I have also joined the US based TORC Forum. Toyota Owners and Restorers Club. Not a heap of info there either, but some pretty sweet classic Toyota's in the US I gotta say.

http://www.toyotaclub.org/

I have a 68 toyota stout flat tray

it is the a original green with a couple of patch jobs

I'm going to sell it in a couple of month, can't take it

with me to the new house

do you know anyone who wants to buy it

Sorry mate, I don't know anyone. I'm trying to find out stuff about the one I've got, not get more of them. Hehe...... trying to downsize my car collection.

For a rural commercial vehicle of its type and age, it's amazingly straight. :o

Good luck with the restoration, would look cool with chromies and candy-apple red duco :spiteful:

Cheers mate. Yeh would look good slammed on some chromies, but I think that is a way off yet. For now I just plan to roll this thing pretty much as is. Dragster bike and an old esky or two in the back, drop her a little and paint the current steel rims also adding a big set of whitewalls. Maybe even some old style sign-writing on the side just for fun. Got a little bit of work to do just to get her on the road first though. It's all money :(

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys, I'm real new to this, I just had to say it's nice to see another stout on the road.

I have a 1966 stout, he's name is Nic, in the process of being returned to his former glory.

I purchased him from a friend in need about 5 years ago for $400.

He is the most reliable little truck, can sit for months on end, and start first time every

time, he has a flat wooden tray and has been painted "Mater" brown. He really does look

like mater.

Can any one tell me what the original size wheels these utes had?

and what colors they came out in?

Hey clairecat. I have sent you a private message as well through the forum. If you are not used to forums, then you can easily retrieve this by logging in and clicking the "New Messages" link near the top on the very right of the page.

As for wheel sizes........... I am pretty sure they all came standard with 13inch rims at that time. Mine is all original (except for paint) with original rims and they are 13's. I am still desperately seeking a set of original hubcaps for them. :angry:

Factory paint colours and codes is a little harder info to find. I have yet to see an exhaustive colour chart. I know for certain they came in a fire engine red and a hammer finish style colour green. I think a beige and a light blue as well.

Here is a few I think are original colours.

1966ToyotaStout_01Japan-Front.jpg

ToyotaStout_43USA-AllToyotaFest2003.jpg

1967ToyotaStout_02USA.jpg

ToyotaStout_03USA-WillowSpringsRace.jpg

• 5 months later...

WOW!! That ute is pimped out!!! You gotta get a set of those white rims and throw em on. Paint it a mad as red colour, and itll look awesome!!!

Or you could drop it on its *****, slam on some 20" Chromies, put a spa in the back and drop a v8 in it. Totally up to you :rolleyes:

Haha!! Hav fun with it man, keep us posted!

stv-borg........ I was wondering on how much are you wanting for the car as i will probably know someone who would be interested in buying the car, is the car running and in a decent condition, would there be a lot of work to do to get the car in good condition.

Edited by mands

and...........

with a quick & lazy photochop of some wire wheels ........

MyStoutOnWires.jpg

in fact the original plan was to bang some wires on and then airbag it........ but that is not likely to happen now

Looks good with or without the wires. What is that thing in the window??

Cheers for that.

Yeh that is an evaporative air conditioner. It was built in the early 1940's in USA and they used them for road trips through the desert. You fill it up with water and then pull a cord on the inside which is attached to a sprung loaded sponge type thing. That rolls down through the water and back up. Then as you drive along the air goes into the front of the cooler, through the sponge and into the cabin. Not too many of them in Australia. It's called a swamp cooler. These are popular with the HotRod/RatRod boys in USA and I actually bought it for my Rat-Style Cortina, but looks okay on the Stout as well.

WOW!! That ute is pimped out!!!

Hehe.... cheers mate.

Now it looks like this.......

MyStout.jpg

070930Stout_02.jpg

That looks so well looked after!!!! So neat and tidy!!!! Yer the wire chromies would look good if ya id it for real i reckon!

Ya reckon you could photoshop some chromies onto my lux? LOL! Just for the hell of it?

Hilux011.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
...or not...

hehe..... sorry Dj_Dirty.... I saw this post ages ago and then forgot about it. I didn't actually do the photoshop of the wheels on my Stout. It was done by a guy that used to work here in my office. I am useless at that sorta stuff. Don't have the patience for it. Sorry mate.

...or not...

hehe..... sorry Dj_Dirty.... I saw this post ages ago and then forgot about it. I didn't actually do the photoshop of the wheels on my Stout. It was done by a guy that used to work here in my office. I am useless at that sorta stuff. Don't have the patience for it. Sorry mate.

PM KptzS Heinz Fredrikkson I seem to recall him doing some photoshopping ,atlhough I could be wrong!

damn.... this car is nice man.... wash it.. and wax it after that... then post the after wash N wax pic... we will love it ey :lol:

Scroll down to post 15 in this thread mate and you will see that I did exactly that. It came up okay. Could use a respray but sadly I can't commit to a project that long. I am happy with it just how it is. Gotta have money for the new project.