THE AGE MELBOURNE

Pecker

Car reviews are meant to be for general users. I think, for spirited driver, 2ZZ-GE provided some real challenge. I bought Road&Track SPEED edition mag, they test out 10 facotry tuned cars, inc Celica with TRD mods, Lancer Ralliart ed, Nissan Sentra Nismo etc etc. Celica came 1st because although the engine is tourqeless below lift, it feels like a true sports car that is meant to be driven harder and harder. Not to mention superb handling.

yes that is celica, but sportivo still got 2zz-ge inside.

One of the Melbourne Herald Sun reviewers said pretty much the same thing about the Stivo on his one off drive. The a month later Toyota gave him one to use as an everyday car for a couple weeks. When it came time to give it back he did not want to, he said he had grown to really appreciate the car.

It's just one of the those cars that you have to learn to drive to appreciate it. A one off drive really just does not show you its true strenghts.

I also bet that drive was pre-recall. Now it has much better torque down low!

Bah!! That "reviewer" is a clown. But look at the positive side: More SP23's on the road to destroy.

Yeah but find one that wants to go you. They tend to just look the other way and ignore you <_<

They probably were all excited when first taking delivery of their sp23, but after running a couple of people discovered it ain't as quick as what the reviewers make it out to be, and so now are less likely to.

I work over near the Mazda head office and come across many on the road. They take on echo's, Civics, Lancers etc but nothing quicker. I've seen the same car drag the above at each set of lights but when I've worked my way up next to him he has lost the desire all of a sudden :(

That being said I do know of one being turboed at the moment, with front intercooler and going to run approx 10psi boost. This one is going to be quick! The guy is spending about 8K to do it properly.

Interesting comments.. I found the driving position weird at first, but I've gotten comfortable with it. I dunno if the seats are really slippery, but maybe my **** is just fat enough that I don't move :)

- Matthew

i agrere that the sp23 was uncomfortable, my left leg was jambed up against the centre console.. and the telescopic steering wheel was crap,i just pushed it all the way in.... also i beat a sp23 in my datsun 1200 twice....... the sp23 has good torque but a bit breahless up top. end..... go the corolla, beeter package than any of them. thats why i bought it.

The Seating Position  :huh: , the Stivo has the best seating position  :D .  Its the only one I can fit in comfortably in  :rolleyes: .

I sort of have to adopt a Rally Driver seating style.. Long body.. Short legs... Big Hair. !!! A telescoping column would fix all that...

OH BTW had me a run with an SP23.. All I can say is.. Seek Out .. Line up and destroy.. The dude weaved nearly a full Kilometre of traffic to catch me.. And then was totally destroyed at the lights with my 5k launch and 1-2 lift change..... Probably 4 Car lenghts to 130ks..

Another supposed hot rod to add to my kill list... :D

Sorry to get off topic but my car feels so 14s now it aint funny.. B)