Changing the Avalon sound system ...

TonyD

Gday guys, im kinda new to this whole thing so I thought id ask here before anywhere else ...

Ive taken possession of a 2002 Avalon Sorrento off my dad (its on gas alright! its the only reason i got it lol), and unfortunately he got the crap standard Toyota CD/Cassette and 4 speakers when he bought the car. Now ive helped my mates change the stereos in their cars, but they all have older model mazdas/toyotas which fit the older style (180mm wide, i think) head unit ...

But the AVALON on the otherhand has a stupid 230mm double din which i have NO idea whatsoever on how to get out. Im looking at getting a pioneer double din head unit, 4 x (6'x9') speakers to replace the crap ones, and a Sony amp. I think it'll work, but I dunno.

So what im asking is, is it possible at all to replace the Avalon front end? Sure there's gonna have to be spacers on the side of the head unit IF its possible, but i'll just get neons put in behind some perspex or something. The dude at strathfield had no idea, so if you guys dunno i guess i'll go get ripped off by Toyota or something.

Cheers

:D

EDIT: Fixed up bad grammar/spelling lol

Edited by TonyD

either buy a double din head unit or single din and a pocket under / above it

also, you can get wiring looms from autobarn that plug into the ISO (toyota wiring) to the back of headunit (~$50-$60)

if you need a hand and live in sydney, call me (details in profile)

cheers

either buy a double din head unit or single din and a pocket under / above it

also, you can get wiring looms from autobarn that plug into the ISO (toyota wiring) to the back of headunit (~$50-$60)

if you need a hand and live in sydney, call me (details in profile)

cheers

Cheers pete :D I live in melbourne, so no luck there lol. I just managed to whack out the front end, and noticed im gonna have to speak to Boemo Engineering about getting the wires for the fuel selector moved ... they run RIGHT behind the head unit :blink:

I reckon i'll go with the double din pioneer. Im gonna look into putting neons up the side ... And btw, if I get 4 220W speakers id be best getting a +800W amp yeah?

• 2 months later...

How did you go with putting in a double-din headunit? If you managed to fit it in, I'd love to see some pictures, because I was under the impression that a double-din headunit would be a tight squeeze. For my car I went for a single-din headunit and then got the pocket from Toyota. I've attached a photo of how mine has installed, that is mdf on the sides.

In regards to your system, why are you intending to buy 4 x 6x9's? As you know you'll find 6" splits in the front and 6" coaxials at the back. If you want better sound quality, you could go for some new 6" speakers for the back and front and run them off an amplifier. This will be a lot less costly as you won't need to do any modifications to fit in the speakers. Also 6x9's are overrated to be honest, a lot of people think they are the best type of speakers to put in, but you'll soon realise this is not the way to go. The best website is www.mobileelectronics.com.au (formerly www.caraudioaustralia.com.au) they have a forum with many members with a lot of knowledge. They'll be able to offer you a lot of advice and confirm that 6x9's are pointless. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, as I also have an Avalon which now has a system in it.

post-4543-1182547415_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

How did you go with putting in a double-din headunit? If you managed to fit it in, I'd love to see some pictures, because I was under the impression that a double-din headunit would be a tight squeeze. For my car I went for a single-din headunit and then got the pocket from Toyota. I've attached a photo of how mine has installed, that is mdf on the sides.

In regards to your system, why are you intending to buy 4 x 6x9's? As you know you'll find 6" splits in the front and 6" coaxials at the back. If you want better sound quality, you could go for some new 6" speakers for the back and front and run them off an amplifier. This will be a lot less costly as you won't need to do any modifications to fit in the speakers. Also 6x9's are overrated to be honest, a lot of people think they are the best type of speakers to put in, but you'll soon realise this is not the way to go. The best website is www.mobileelectronics.com.au (formerly www.caraudioaustralia.com.au) they have a forum with many members with a lot of knowledge. They'll be able to offer you a lot of advice and confirm that 6x9's are pointless. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, as I also have an Avalon which now has a system in it.

Hi Mate,

I also go a 2000 Avalon and living in Melbourne and like to upgrade the Radio, would appreciate if you could advise to buy the kit.

The after mark kit I bought from autobarn did not match. Please let me know step by step instructions on upgrading, am trying this first time, thanks for your time and look forwarding to hearing from you. cheers

• 3 months later...

Hi Mate,

I also go a 2000 Avalon and living in Melbourne and like to upgrade the Radio, would appreciate if you could advise to buy the kit.

The after mark kit I bought from autobarn did not match. Please let me know step by step instructions on upgrading, am trying this first time, thanks for your time and look forwarding to hearing from you. cheers

Hi Mate,

Just wondering if you've had any luck installing the new radio?

I'm trying to do the same and was wondering if you need to buy any additional items e.g. wire looms?

Cheers

• 4 years later...

Well aware of this being a very old thread, but is there any chance anyone knows the wiring for 2000 avalon, am hoping to upgrade the stereo to a cheap nasty single din head unit, but all the diagrams i see online are american, and i don't believe I want to just hack away tapping into wires without knowing which is which, ive got the door trim off driver side door to source the color of the wires, given it had stock stereo in it, the wires appear to be all over the place, speaker wires mixed into one plug which also has ground etc, being 2 plugs or harnesses, one is 10 pin, the other 6, am unable to determine the correct wiring, for instance on the car harness, from diagrams ive seen pin one supposedly is meant to be a speaker wire, but this is not the case, its a heavier guage wire...so would anyone be able to help a bloke out, and shed some kind of light on this issue? i've uploaded photos of the back of the stock stereo, and the iso in the car. the stock stereo, as possibly aware already, is a Toyota 34243  cd unit ontop cassette deck on the bottom.

IMG20180224123451.jpg

IMG20180224123619.jpg

IMG20180224123626.jpg