Gas Conversion on new Hilux

Hi all,

I have a friend that is looking at getting a new Hilux (4.0L VVT-i V6 Petrol 5 spd Auto Pickup) and doing a Gas Conversion on it.

Has any one seen this done or done it?

How does the card run?

Will this cause any warranty issues?

Also do you know if Toyota can do the install? (to avoid any warranty issues if this is an issue?)

Many thanks!

Fudge

i get this question at least once a week from customers, and this is my usual reply.

toyota will not carry any warranty for the engine if it has had an LPG conversion, plus it reduces engine life, and engine power. LPG operates at a higher temperature, so a common problem that people have with LPG is burnt valve seats. to get LPG working efficiently, most people run it on at least 2 tanks petrol and 1 tank LPG, so is it really worth it all? also an LPG tank in your boot will take up a fair bit of space. hope this helps guys

Hi Melvin

Many thanks for the reply, I'll pass your comments onto my friend :-)

Regards

Fudge

• 1 year later...
i get this question at least once a week from customers, and this is my usual reply.

toyota will not carry any warranty for the engine if it has had an LPG conversion, plus it reduces engine life, and engine power. LPG operates at a higher temperature, so a common problem that people have with LPG is burnt valve seats. to get LPG working efficiently, most people run it on at least 2 tanks petrol and 1 tank LPG, so is it really worth it all? also an LPG tank in your boot will take up a fair bit of space. hope this helps guys

Sorry but I think your infor is a little askew. I have a late model prado converted to gas 18 months ago at a cost of $2400 less rebate our out odf pocket was just $400. I have to run 1 tank petrol to 4 tanks lpg. The main tank was removed and replaced with a gas tank. The gas cost around $40 to fill and will give around 300kms to the tank. The engine starts on petrol and switches to gas when the revs reach 1500. There is a valve lube installed that keeps the engine safe., This drops a drop of fluid every 60 or so secs and a 100 mil lasts about 10000km. The prado runs much cleaner and loses no power what so ever. We tow a large van with 4 kids and the amount of stuff that that would way and the performance is the same as on petrol. We are looking to upgrade to a landcruiser however and Toyota will void the warranty if the car is converted to gas. I am offering this information based on experience knowledge. I hope this hels clear up some uncertainties.

Edited by prado1