Engine performance 03 sportivo??

Yupyup 2zz-ge motors in aus have 141kw from factory at the fly.

Does anyone have an at the wheels figure for a stock Sportivo?

Generally varies from about 100-110kw at wheels stock. Mods (intake, exaust, headers, ecu) dont generally increse the peak power but do make up power everywhere else.

im yet to see a corolla both 1zz and 2zz that has not gained peak power from intake, exhuast and ECU... :huh:

Generally varies from about 100-110kw at wheels stock. Mods (intake, exaust, headers, ecu) dont generally increse the peak power but do make up power everywhere else.

im yet to see a corolla both 1zz and 2zz that has not gained peak power from intake, exhuast and ECU... :huh:

was just thinking the same thing...

I've got an 03 Sportivo and stock had 96kw before the ecu and airbox recall was done. Added CES cat back exhaust which bumped it up to 105kw then got the recall done and fitted a TRD CAI which then bumped it up to 114.75kw. I then added CES ported headers and changed oil type which bumped power up to 120kw. 120kw was achieved when my car had 83 000k's on it. It now has 106 000k's on it and still going strong....

Yupyup 2zz-ge motors in aus have 141kw from factory at the fly.

Does anyone have an at the wheels figure for a stock Sportivo?

As per Silvabullit's post. mid 90's atw stock sounds pretty good. Alot of fwd cars, just multiply the flywheel kw by 0.7 for a rough atw kw figure. Bear in mind some dynos read a bit higher (optimistic dynos) but i guess it's all relative huh.

Nice Silvabullit, good how the 2zz is so responsive to mods yet is tuned high from the factory.

I have have had a few differnt readings when dynod, stock then modified. The peak power changed everytime. So i wasn't convinced that i was gettign higher peak power readings (i.e. higher than stock, lower than stock, same as stock, seemed to be a +-5kw difference). As i understand other have had this happen too. So I just put it down to the dyno and air temp giving me higher and lower peak readings at the time dynoed. Although the car does feel more powerful, so i put it down to midrange power.

Theyd definelty be around 141kw at the engine, you wont really find a stock car doing the same kw at the fly as at the wheels. 30% of power is usally lost from the drivetrain.

This is mine

103.3kw stock

108.4 intake

115.3 intake and muffler

105.5 intake and muffler different dyno day (wtf)

111.6. intake only

110.7 back to stock

So i'd say average mine makes aroung 108Kw at the wheels, which is around a 23% loss through the drivtrain.

I dont know maybe make your own assesment, i reckon its just diffent dynos, temp and maybe fuel (although i always use bp ultimate). The car does feel faster moded, so i'd just say the peak doesnt really change too much.

Edited by VVTLiR

Theyd definelty be around 141kw at the engine, you wont really find a stock car doing the same kw at the fly as at the wheels. 30% of power is usally lost from the drivetrain.

I am quite surprised that this much is lost on a FWD, given that RWD also loses about 30% from engine to wheels.

Street Machine (hey I owned a Falcon at the time) did a test on three falcons straight out of the showroom and found the they were losing 30% based on the flywheel figure published by the factory and from a few other people I have spoken to who have done their mods in a systematic way (ie. used a dyno for baseline and after each change) 30% is about right for RWD.

Dynos give different readings depending on air temperature, humidity and fuel, the only way to tell if your mod makes a difference is to do a run without the mod and then a run with asap afterwards (though this is not always practical)

My mates BA falcon (standard six) made 177kw at the wheels, although its quoted 182kw at the fly (3% loss which i dont think is possible). I've heard of other spotivos that have done 132kw at the wheels. I'm iffy about dynos and the people that set em up. I reckon the only way to tell for sure is down the track, but i suppose that has its own variables too.

So yeah just accept 141kw at the engine with slightly better perfomance with minor mods. Each car is different and there are alot of variables.

Plus ive wasted over a couple hundred bux on dyno reads, which could have been spent on beer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by VVTLiR

those kind of figures could be on a dynapak hub dyno. they read a lot higher than say a dyno dynamic dyno

really?? i've always found that the hub dyno's read a lower KW figure but a much higher torque figure... interesting

depends on how the dyno is run, like shoot out mode or so...

i was comparing dynos from 1998 to 2005:

1998 avg stock 4age was doing 50-55kw

2005 avg stock 4age was doing 60-80kw

there was like a magic jump of 10-20kw after 5year... :huh:

really?? i've always found that the hub dyno's read a lower KW figure but a much higher torque figure... interesting

Shouldn't less power equate to less torque due to the power formula? But I have never used or seen a hub dyno so I can't speak from experience.

I hope this thread isn't going to turn into another one of those "dyno" threads.

Shouldn't less power equate to less torque due to the power formula? But I have never used or seen a hub dyno so I can't speak from experience.

I hope this thread isn't going to turn into another one of those "dyno" threads.

mm but im not referring to power formula and all that, all i mean is that a hub dyno doesnt get an accurate torque reading, but the power reading is reasonable.

Doesnt anyone else remember the 1ZZ dyno print out that said 75ish fwkw, and something like 500nm of torque?

and then there was my mate who saw a dyno print out of his dad's new Monaro (when they first came out) that said it had 700nm of torque!! Standard!! he told us that he could put it in 6th on a steep hill and take his foot off the clutch and the car will pull itself up! we made him try it... hahhahahahah fun times.

But yes... dyno convo ends... NOW