Turbo 2ZZ from CES

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dunno about the canister Jason didn't have enough time to have a really good look!!

As for lag etc etc the turbo on the car was supplied by the owner and that was what he wanted to use. Bill's set up would perhaps be better to drive but the boys at CES have done what they can with what they have been supplied.Engine has been rebuilt with forged internals(pistons,rods valves,springs etc etc) so me thinks engine isn't the weak point but more so the gearbox and suspension(stock shocks with low kings).

It should push some pretty decent numbers so i will update sometime this week with more info.....

such a waste of money in my view without all the proper build up involved (internals, brakes, sussy etc) if the guy wants numbers buy a s14 or 15 little mods huge results may not be original but il take that over a 2zz motor any day considering how much a sr20 costs

Obviously you didn't read this thread too well. The entire engine has been pulled apart and been strengthened in the necessary areas. Put someone in this car who can drive and it would most prolly run close to similiar numbers of a s14/15 with decent mods. CES were estimating between 210-250kw atw from this car. Yes it needs brakes and it needs suspension upgrades but it's not our car nor does it belong to CES so it's entriely up to the owner to do something about it. CES have already on numerous occasions mentioned the need for upgrades in these areas but in the end the owner makes the decision.

Foolish to leave it as it is cause it will only end in a world of pain me thinks....

I'd say u'd have to do some internal work to safely get those numbers from an SR20, but yeah if you dont care about reliablity I suppose it can be done cheaper with an SR20.

order of work should always be

paint

suspension/steering

brakes

wheels/tyres (save for after brakes so you know the clearance you have)

engine

exhaust

This is correct. A cookie for you for when we meet next Dylan.

I'd say u'd have to do some internal work to safely get those numbers from an SR20, but yeah if you dont care about reliablity I suppose it can be done cheaper with an SR20.

SR20s also cost bugger all to replace compared to the comparative Toyota engine be it 3S or 2ZZ...

• 1 month later...
So i saw this car out on sat at milton maccas. Any dyno figures?

With a 5000rpm limit and about 7psi it pushes 128kw and a fat load of torque.. when they tuned it for the 5k limit, they ran it to 5500 to get the map sorted and at 5500rpm on 7psi it jumped to just under 150kw atw.

It get's it's first oil change and service this week and then back to the tuners to get the full boost and rev range tune. Somewhere around 17psi from what I have been told. Conservative estimates are looking at a minimum of 230kw atw up to 245kw atw.

5000RPM, 5500RPM...????

why not just use a 1ZZ-FE... :rolleyes:

Have got some video clips of it on the dyno from last week on my phone. As soon as i get them off i might post them upon here.

If only a 1zz picked up power and revs like this does from 3500 to 5000rpm nobody would be buying a Sportivo.....

5000RPM, 5500RPM...????

why not just use a 1ZZ-FE... :rolleyes:

Have got some video clips of it on the dyno from last week on my phone. As soon as i get them off i might post them upon here.

If only a 1zz picked up power and revs like this does from 3500 to 5000rpm nobody would be buying a Sportivo.....

if they slapped a big turbo on a 1ZZ as well it would pick up power like that...

Just going through all the post again, most of it sounds quite negative. I'm pretty sure everyone is concerned with the current setup of the car. At least its gives the sportivo crowd some hope that obtaining a turbo sportivo is possible. At the end of the day its his choice...

If anyone has decently looked into slapping a turbo onto the 2zz, its quite a pain in the **** to do. So thumbs up to CES and the owner of the vehicle.

I can't see anyone having had a go at CES? In fact, comments have commended the installation work carried out.

Indeed, the installation work is very good.

the negatives come from...

1. The lack of accompanying mods making this car somewhat dangerous on the road

2. The remote mounting of the turbo providing quite poor lag characteristics (though quite difficult to avoided in a ZZ engine turbo setup with a large turbo)

3. A short jab my me looking for a rise because he's not using the full 8,000 RPM yet :P

i still maintain the best forced induction setup for the 2ZZ is supercharging!

Just look at the RunX compressor & Lotus that use the 2zz supercharged engine.

There is also plenty of room to play with the ECU & charger on them!

I can't see anyone having had a go at CES? In fact, comments have commended the installation work carried out.

2. The remote mounting of the turbo providing quite poor lag characteristics (though quite difficult to avoided in a ZZ engine turbo setup with a large turbo)

3. A short jab my me looking for a rise because he's not using the full 8,000 RPM yet :P

i havn't seen any comments knocking CES's work..quite the opposite, and we cant forget that CES only did what the customer wanted and you cant fault them for it....

Why?

The 2zz pair will a decent size turbo will **** all over a supercharged 2zz.

The best i've seen in a lotus exige s makes 250hp atw @ 11psi. A average turboed 2zz will make that and more at 7psi.

Turbo now days are efficient, and a correctly sized turbo will have very little lag.

Only good thing about s/c is that it will always be on boost and make power. But the gains are minimal. 2zz with off the shelf s/c kit make around 220hp atw. In Aust dyno, that would be under 200hp atw. And hardly any room for improvement when you want more power.

Edited by 51EKA

The SC Vs Turbo debate is so old.

Everyone to their own needs really.

lol

No offense but my comment was on how negative peoples attitude was towards how this 'incomplete' machine should be even allowed on the road. With that much money to throw around I would believe this guy is far from finished with his car.

I'm met another fellow sportivo owner at my workplace and he spent heaps of money on his car and believe or not he doesn't have an aftermarket intake and he hasn't even heard of TOCAU. Whether he spent his money properly or not is none of my concern and as most people would say "as long as the customer is happy we are happy as well".

Now I've just realised that I have completely lost it and don't know what the hell I'm going on about...anyone know a good doctor?

i havn't seen any comments knocking CES's work..quite the opposite, and we cant forget that CES only did what the customer wanted and you cant fault them for it....

Thank you for repeating exactly what I said Corey... I never disagreed I just pointed out where the negatives were and that they are not with CES's installation work for this turbo.

The SC Vs Turbo debate is so old.

Everyone to their own needs really.

lol

No offense but my comment was on how negative peoples attitude was towards how this 'incomplete' machine should be even allowed on the road. With that much money to throw around I would believe this guy is far from finished with his car.

That's exactly why we have engineering laws. This car would never be allowed on the road in NSW with the stock brake setup.

Why?

The 2zz pair will a decent size turbo will **** all over a supercharged 2zz.

The best i've seen in a lotus exige s makes 250hp atw @ 11psi. A average turboed 2zz will make that and more at 7psi.

Turbo now days are efficient, and a correctly sized turbo will have very little lag.

Only good thing about s/c is that it will always be on boost and make power. But the gains are minimal. 2zz with off the shelf s/c kit make around 220hp atw. In Aust dyno, that would be under 200hp atw. And hardly any room for improvement when you want more power.

just face it for the 2zz S/C is a better option! and with the right tuning and stronger internals it will make far more than your claimed 250hp

When this thing goes ka-boom after the re-tune can you make sure you get those pics too :rolleyes:

come on mate why do u think that ?????? i dont think its gonna have any blowing up issues ...... it think its gonna have more gear teeth snapping off issues ....

At least its gives the sportivo crowd some hope that obtaining a turbo sportivo is possible.

U didnt need 2 wait till this car came out to verify this point ..... if u came to the big meet u would have seen the first street driven (from what i know) turbo sportivo ;) ;)

If anyone has decently looked into slapping a turbo onto the 2zz, its quite a pain in the **** to do.

Ahmen to that brother :D :D :D

Totally disagree .....meh each to their own i guess ...... so when u do ur charger setup pete lets hit WSID ...... ill b waiting for u ;) ;) ;) .... the ultimate S/C vs Turbo battle :spiteful: :spiteful:

That's exactly why we have engineering laws. This car would never be allowed on the road in NSW with the stock brake setup.

Oh and why not Dylan ?????? I cant see anything wrong with it :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: what do u think engine braking is for :D :D :D