Handling Addiction

Or you can do what I did and get another car. The AW11 handles better stock then the Stivo did when it was modded. If only it had more power though... :whistling::unsure:

The sacrifice to 'back seat action' is evident obviously, but hey that's what beds are for. Meh.

Or you can do what I did and get another car. The AW11 handles better stock then the Stivo did when it was modded. If only it had more power though... :whistling::unsure:

The sacrifice to 'back seat action' is evident obviously, but hey that's what beds are for. Meh.

why be cramped to a back seat when there's a whole big world out there to 'explore' :P

why be cramped to a back seat when there's a whole big world out there to 'explore' :P

Dylan, like the badger, is humble and wise. Follow Dylan.

HAHA, How the Hell did you manage to get on to the subject of sex in a Handling/Suspension thread??

Ah I was just pointing out that he is perhaps flogging a dead horse in terms of handling on his rolla.

I am what you would call the 'hijacker' though. The bane of all moderators. This is Nelson by the way. Screw Rob and screw his wussy car.

simple... the MR2 lacks a back seat and Rob was simply pointing that fact out to me... as though I hadn't already noticed...

:o

Front seat action ftw Dylan. Boooom chica bowww wowwwww!!!

Cj maybe spend money on something else for the car ay. You've got the setup I would want for the street already so why not put it into something else?

C.j, as others have mentioned man, the corolla isn't a track car - in terms of handling if you add in some coilovers and some swaybars/strut braces however you will have a very good handling vehicle - not perfect...but you get what you pay for. Being FWD the corolla will ALWAYS be prone to understeer, you cannot avoid it, however you can minimise it.

Ignore the garbage people say on here about front sways increasing understeer, that is bs. Due to the increased underbody rigidity you can enter corners much quicker with a front swaybar and overall body roll is further reduced. With front and rear sways + g4 coilovers in my rolla i found the only restricting point handling wise to be traction. The chassis of the car was very stiff and when tuned right the suspension was very stiff. If you put on the power halfway in a corner with a FWD car making any power you WILL understeer, just like with a RWD car if you put the power on too early with half decent horsepower you WILL oversteer.

Remember that you can't avoid physics...if you reduce movement in the chassis and suspension while cornering, the load is then placed on your tyres - however rubber is far more forgiving than steel frames :D

Therefore the best places to spend money to reduce understeer would include: LSD, wheels/tyres and front sway if you don't already intend on getting one. In terms of fine tuning, only ALOT of track work will tell you exactly what sort of handling you want (progressive, high threshold, balanced, etc) and what sort of handling you are able to get out of the corolla.

:P THE GOOSE ALREADY HAS COIL-OVERS !!!

Haha, such a big audience! :toast:

indeed, also talk to Julian about his experiences with tyre-wall flex on rims smaller than 17"

Yes yes...high profile tires are heaps bad. Tyre-wall flex T__T.

Ok,

So I will still get the front swaybar like I planned, then head off to QR for some track-testing :)

Also, they aren't the stock Sportivo tyres, but can't tell you what they are right now, they aren't too bad though.

Thanks all for your input.

C.j

Hankook K102's. (205*50*16") @ $140 a corner from Donnelans Boxhill.

Good grip in dry

In wet, reduced enthuisasim

They are fairly responsive anyway on the track - u can go on the limit until u know she will let go -- maybe having something 50 profile is still "too high"? ? ... or i think it was because i didn't jack the tire pressure high enough <_<

Like what...

1. Bucket seat? ($300) (hassle in finding one nice and cheap, hassle in finding one that is good quality, and hassle in getting it engineered -- but the rewards are heaps fun cornering!!)

2. Semi slicks/beter gripy tires (advan/Kumho styles)? Get bum set of 16"/17" rims ($400) and bum set of semi slicks @ like 60% for about ($300) for a full set of 4 !! = good times. No tire squeal whilst going full pelt around a corner.... obviously in the 'safe' learning enivronemnt of the track :D

3. Light weight BUM rims? BBS/ SImmons 15"16"? ($500-600)

4. CARBON FIBRE BONNET Hoooo!!!! :toast: ($800-1000-1500)

5. Make the GOOSE heaps low on the suspension settings - lower point of gravity = faster corner entries...i think... T_T

Understeer is always going to be present in the GOOSe -- yes yes very unforunate :(

Edited by RME1

depends how hardcore u wanna go

front sway, trd member brace, semi-slick tyres, lsd, gut your interior to shave some weight, upgrade your coilies to cusco, tein ones and sell the one u have to me real cheap :spiteful: , bucket seat so u can stay in your seat to do what u have to do in an apex........

Cuscos zero 2 coilovers would be a good upgrade, the teins would be a downgrade as they only make super wagon spec coils for the rolla (3 + 3 spring rate and bugger all adjustments).

I would hardly call tein super wagons a downgrade, they can be order with stiffer springs, you dont have to keep the 3:3. Im running 6:4 and they are pefect!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but you can get your coilovers re-built with higher viscous oil, harder springs, and play with valve settings.

BTW i have set of track spec (D2) springs for sale, will send you the measurements if interested.

Edited by DHC09

So if I could have either an LSD or a Unichip, which would be smarter?

I assume the Unichip will give more power/torque, therefore increasing the problem of wheel spin and understeer?

Cheers,

C.j

with the amount of power your cars putting out the advantages of the LSD would be small, you would be better off with the unichip