TRD CAI is fine with Toyota

if something did go wrong with your engine or any other part of your car that you have moddified, can't you just replace the part(CAI) with the sotck airbox before calling toyota and saying your car has f***ed up?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why not ? How will they notice in the first place ? If theres any possible chance the CAI was the cause, and you go back to stock airbox how will they know ?

Its extremely unprofessional on the part of the dealers to give the customers wrong information just to create profit. When you go back with any issue, theyll say it wasnt me ? Is this justifiable because the consumer doesnt have deep pockets to fight it in court and hence the reason for buying a toyota ?

Toyota does browse these forums and the garage too....

so they do know what mods are on some cars, especially if your plates are in the photo's in your members ride thread and garage.

Similar to how reps from other manufacturers attend events at QR and Willowbank taking note of cars racing in case they go in for warranty claims when something breaks. Ever noticed why the people with cars under warranty that are aware of this remove their front and rear plates or cover them in tape before heading out on the track ;)

Edited by rollamods

Ever noticed why the people with cars under warranty that are aware of this remove their front and rear plates or cover them in tape before heading out on the track ;)

OOooohhhh, i though it was just 'speed tape'

Actually, I thought it was so that the guys behind you that you've just beaten on the track don't come and fidn you for revenge. I have a vivid imagination.

I say fark'em ...... warrenty is good for nothing anyway considering how easy it is to classify something as a characteristic ...... it was toyota's attitude and lack of customer service which led me to mod the car to the extent that i have because now i know the exact quality of the build thats gone into my car ..... toyota quality .... pffffffft what quality .......

If toyota are browsing hope they can give us useful information.

But seriously if the dealers are not telling consumers the truth, its just wrong.

How would you know when you take your car in for a service they did everything you asked.

Its down to trust, so if we cant trust the dealers with there word no point in doing business with toyota.

Toyota obviously rely on the dealers to take care of the consumers.

Anyway, ill see what toyota has to say. Waiting for reply.

I say fark'em ...... warrenty is good for nothing anyway considering how easy it is to classify something as a characteristic ...... it was toyota's attitude and lack of customer service which led me to mod the car to the extent that i have because now i know the exact quality of the build thats gone into my car ..... toyota quality .... pffffffft what quality .......

+1

here are some pics of my "other" 2zz-ge

gallery_247_113_4598.jpg

gallery_247_113_17030.jpg

gallery_247_113_1257.jpg

This is one good reson to keep all your stock parts so you can put them back on b4 you get it looked at by toyota i know if it was my car i would have had it towed home and i would have put as much stock **** as i could back on. The sevice manager at a toyota dealer might say yeah that should be covered but when they call in the big guns and they say sorry been modified well you FUBAR

Shame this happened over a year or more ago. And that was caused by an aftermarket ECU!!!

Don't believe toyota for a minute cause they can make the rules up as they go along.

Northy and I have heard that right from the horses mouth!!

Shame this happened over a year or more ago. And that was caused by an aftermarket ECU!!!

me thinks a bit of the wacky tabacky and 9K+ rpms was the cause ;) ;) ;)

below is the reply to my email i sent to castle hill toyota

Hi Simon,

We can fit this for you the cost to have this installed by Castle Hill Toyota is $132.00 inc GST full warranty terms and conditions can be found on:

http://www.trdusa.com/warranty.cfm

Thanking you

James Sloane

Castle Hill Toyota

2 Victoria Ave

Castle Hill NSW 2154

Ph: +61 2 8831-8831

Fax + 61 2 8831-8820

www.chtoyota.com.au

seems as if they just want the business and say to look at USA warranty info..lol.....slight diff between USA and AUS as you guys mentioned earlier....is US they honour the warranty with TRD parts due to the relationship between toyota and TRD in the US ...ownership etc

cheers

It's not caused by ECU.

It's caused by ecu not tuned well, or abusive driving.

So not tuning the ECU properly makes it drop a rod :huh::huh: Xoom me thinks Danz is on the wacky tobaccy :o :o

The only reason the engine dropped a rod was because the limiter was bumped up a bit and as Northy would be the first to admit he drove it on the limiter all the time.

You can drive a 2zz on the limiter all day and not hurt it. But the Stock ECU has the limiter set at that point for a reason. The rods can't handle the extra RPM stress and as Northy proved you bump up the limiter and look what happens. You get 2 nice inspection holes and trail of fire under the car. So therefore the ECU controlling the limiter was more than likely the reason why this happened.

But then you granny shift don't you Danz so it'd never be a problem for you :P

It's not caused by ECU.

It's caused by ecu not tuned well, or abusive driving.

So not tuning the ECU properly makes it drop a rod :huh::huh: Xoom me thinks Danz is on the wacky tobaccy :o :o

The only reason the engine dropped a rod was because the limiter was bumped up a bit and as Northy would be the first to admit he drove it on the limiter all the time.

You can drive a 2zz on the limiter all day and not hurt it. But the Stock ECU has the limiter set at that point for a reason. The rods can't handle the extra RPM stress and as Northy proved you bump up the limiter and look what happens. You get 2 nice inspection holes and trail of fire under the car. So therefore the ECU controlling the limiter was more than likely the reason why this happened.

But then you granny shift don't you Danz so it'd never be a problem for you :P

SO that means..

1. The ECU was not tuned well because the limiter was set too high

2. Abusive driving - driving on this limiter day in, day out.

Hence the two nice inspection holes and a trail of fire under the car.

1. The ECU was not tuned well because the limiter was set too high

i never knew setting the limiter was classified as tuning :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

How about we all stay on topic...

Judging by the response you got from the person at Castle Hill - giving you the link to the USA website, he is making it up as he goes to simply make a sale.

Just keep in mind it is extremely unlikely to cause damage due to the CAI, but, if something goes wrong and you have touched the engine in any way possible, they can deny the claim.

It's your decision, don't go by what the staff at the dealership says (As they are only salespeople with targets).

cheers,

yeah true..only sales people aiming at hitting targets, but if they were willing to sign off stating that it will not void warranty (they install the part) surely that should be enough to take any blame away from the owner if it ever came to a claim on say.....a blown engine. Not too concerned about the CAI itself or gains etc......i just wanted to gauge ppls opinions on whether they believe a letter and sig outlining warranty still intact regardless of CAI would be sufficient to take the blame back to toyota themselves for misleading and giving incorrect writen info to owner.

Thats if a letter like this could actually be produced......still waiting on reply from camberwell toyota (melb)

cheers guys

a soft and a hard limiter

hard limit ..... soft limit ...... a little blue pill will fix that issue right up jase :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

a soft and a hard limiter

hard limit ..... soft limit ...... a little blue pill will fix that issue right up jase :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GGGGGOOOOOLLLLLDDDDD MY FRIEND G.O.L.D. :toast: