1967 crown

enri

i have just purchased a 1967 toyota crown toyoglide with the 2m ohc 6 cylinder motor

it is an imaculate original white with blue interior one owner and has been unregistered since 1994

first job is to re-do the brakes and i am wondering whether to keep it original or upgrade to disck brakes and a duel circuit.

any advice on intechangeability with later model parts or opinions or spares is welcome

Edited by enri

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet Crown my friend. Would love to see some more pics of it too. From back and especially interior. It looks sensational though.

As for brakes, it really depends what you plan to do with the car. Given the condition of that car I am hoping she's just going to be a Saturday night and Sunday arvo cruiser in nice weather and displayed at some car shows. I expect that it will not be involved in any drags from the lights either, so in all honesty there ios no need to go through the hassle and expense of upgrading to discs. Just service your master cylinder and wheel cylinders, have a look at the shoes to make sure they are not worn, clean out the dust from inside the drums (don't get any grease or oil or indeed anything else on your pads or the inside of your hubs of course) and you should be stopping just fine. Also just check that your lines are all okay and not cracked or leaking.

If however, you are going to create a super Crown street sleeper....... then upgrade your brakes. :rolleyes:

Also, I suggest and I assume you already plan to do this, but if that Crown hasn't been rego'd since '94, then go through and replace all your fluids, check your radiator, thermostat etc. Also I would replace plugs, leads, contacts, rotor button and cap. Cheque dizzy for free-play in the shaft as well. While at it, I'd drain the tank, pull it out, give it a thorough clean and check the fuel line. Replace the fuel and oil filters too.

Hehe..... well I guess all that stuff just makes common sense really when a car hasn't been used for 13 years, but I'm bored at work. :whistling:

Oh, also......... make sure you wash it and vacuum it. Hehe..... and photo's.... don't forget more photo's.

Btw... what state are you in? Looks like an NSW plate in the background of photo?

:idea: I think that Crown needs a white venetian blind in the back window if it doesn't already have one.

thanks chobis

im near sydney

stay tuned , ill post more photos soon

the car is going to stay original so your right about the brakes.

i pulled them apart this week and was impressed by the quality of the aluminiun cylinders at the front.

mabey just a duel circuit master cylinder for safety would be an appropriate modification

the car is in very good original unrestored condition. even the drivers seat is like new.

it has the front windscreen sunshade but no rear louvre.

• 3 weeks later...

post-3529-1184930018_thumb.jpg

Nice ride, i especially love the white wall tyres :spiteful:

If your looking @ keeping it original, then just repair or rebuild the stock setup.

Just my input.

Cheers

i like non modified originality

it turned out the brakes have aluminium cylinders so $4.00 for new rubbers fixed it!

interior pic

i flushed the cooling system and put a new thermostat today

the circulation is not great. it may need a new water pump

put new points, tuned it up and ...

took it for a lap around the block!!!

what a great feeling to drive a 60's car

cant wait to get it registered. mabey club regopost-3529-1184994404_thumb.jpg

what a great feeling to drive a 60's car

Ehehehe........... I've never really driven anything but 60's cars. Love them..... had heaps of them.... and I was born in the 70's. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds Awsome. I was alot dearer for me to replace the factory brakes on my MS53.

However they are long gone again and some real big discs reside under the wheels.

You find the crown a great cruiser. They are smooth and nice to drive and still do get the looks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
lovin the crowny. there was one similar in the adelaide trading post about 14 months ago. im an obsessive 1972 crown owner myself. love the spaceship stylin and painted bumpers....

Lovely Crowns, both of them. I remember riding in a brand new '67 when I was a kid. I was blown away even then by the comfort. The self-seeking radio with rear seat controls was amazing. I've had two MS55s, one a beautiful Deluxe that i regret selling to this day. I've just traded my Honda Integra for a lovely MS123 and I'm amazed at how Crowns haven't changed in their driving characteristics. Just a nice unfussed comfortable car, no matter what model you have.

:toast:

• 1 year later...

Just to drag up an old thread.

I now own this Crown. I purchased it a few months ago. It'd been through a couple of owners since this thread started.

When I got it it had some damage on the boot lid and rear quarter, the rear seat back was in need of repair and the engine was very smokey and it leaked like a sieve.

Recently I've had the engine rebuilt, had the seat trim replaced and the body damage fixed. I've had new carpet installed as well. Next step is the very tired rear springs and shocks need replacing.

It came with 18" mags on it which were dumped for the stock wheels again.

It's a great car to drive and is now my daily driver.

Here's a new photo of it and one with the mags on with my RS41 next to it.

DSC00020-1.jpg

DSC00108.jpg

Cheers, Greg.

It will look even better if you put a light tint on it... :yahoo:

tint???????? Jeezuz...... please don't tint it...... so very 80's. Classic cars and window tint do not go together.

I'm glad this car has a new owner that is sorting it. Dunno about new springs. Ride height looks pretty good to me. :spiteful:

You have two very cool Crowns!

• 1 month later...

Nice car Mate, I love to see that car of yours and wanting even to meet you, I have a Crown 1969 MS55 fully restored and it won already many times with car shows here in Manila,Philippines. I hope we can change ideas and help find your parts. Write me in my email pgaabelon@yahoo.com. Best regards and congrats with your car~!

• 7 years later...
On 14/09/2007 at 10:02 PM, enri said:

check out my new wheel cylinders complete with stainless steel sleeves

Imgp0183.jpg

Hi Enri,  Do you remember where you got the wheel cylinders from? I'm also after a brake master cylinder and front/rear shoes for my '67 MS45 Crown.