Performance for a 5LE 3lt hilux??

gday picked up a diesel 3lt 4x4 just wondering if anyone knows of any cheap tips or tricks to gettin a bit more out of the motor, ive found extractors, and can sort an exhaust but is it worth it??. As for the air intake i have a snorkel and a standard paper element running into the intake manifold, is there any point in making a shorter direct intake from the air box to the throttle body and upgrading the air filter to a washable unit???. any help would be good cause i dont know much bout diesels and wanna do a bit of work to my car cheers, adam

the 5Le has the electronic engine management and about 6kw over the 5L

i remember taking delivery of my 5L 1998 extra cab 4wd and the shock horror of lack of performance when i pulled out of the dealership

of course they only let me test drive a 2wd 5le without body before purchasing!

the std air cleaner has a helix effect so i wouldnt tamper with it for performance gains

extractors will make it tingy and ringing noise if you like that

with both options small gains proportional to extra noise

i went for an aftermarket turbo (after the painfull first 100,00km under warrenty)

which

back then they wouldnt put one on your motor because its the electronic version

but in the last 3 years a local mob in wollongong called turbo glide are doing a kit that gives 40% gain , but $3300.00 !

Change the paper filter to a sports type like K&N or something along those lines. you can now buy an ECU chip for the 5le. ARB and some of the bigger 4WD companies carry them and they claim to make good gains over stock. Combine that with a better exhaust system and it will go better.

I have a 99 SR5 5L and am about to do snorkel, aftermarket turbo/intercooler set up through CES(forum sponsor) and then some dyno tuning. Hoping to achieve about 90 -100kw atw.

• 2 weeks later...
gday picked up a diesel 3lt 4x4 just wondering if anyone knows of any cheap tips or tricks to gettin a bit more out of the motor, ive found extractors, and can sort an exhaust but is it worth it??. As for the air intake i have a snorkel and a standard paper element running into the intake manifold, is there any point in making a shorter direct intake from the air box to the throttle body and upgrading the air filter to a washable unit???. any help would be good cause i dont know much bout diesels and wanna do a bit of work to my car cheers, adam
please can you eamil me, i can help, mike, truck.leather.and.parts.direct2u@gmail.com

post-3601-1185105152_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

• 1 year later...