Brake upgrade

Suprathai

im still looking around for brake calipers...

tarox make 6 and 10 pistons calipers for the celica but should bolt on nicely except the disc which needs to be modified... for 4 stud...

toyotacelicazzt231-car-large.jpg

toyotacelicazzt231-wheel-large.jpg

AP-racing make a caliper kit for the MR-s.. have yet to see a picture for it...

there is also another TRD kit from america for the celica model... but i think it only fits 17s not 16s...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dugong:

I have a heap of big brake kits and calipers listed in the parts thread that is sticky in this section. They are all made for the Celica, which is a mildly annoying but better then nothing. But I have to ask the question, do you think you will get 3+ grands worth of braking performance out of the kits? For the track I would rather spend that money on 1-to-1 racing tuition and use the change to swap to proper track pads and rotors, and 2zz front calipers if you haven't done so, with the change. If you have done that already, playing around with brake pad compounds might be another idea. But thats just me and I ultimately don't know what you want to achieve out of your brakes. Such as serious track work, odd fang on the back roads, just for looks or other.

Edited by SuperDave

• 7 months later...

Tried the wreckers around Sydney?

I only know of 1 in Brisbane with Celica callipers.

If it helps, all you actually need is the calliper bracket, slides and the metal clip things the pads sit in. You can continue to use the 1zz calliper to reduce costs.

Or if I find time I could do something about the spacer I designed to allow 1zz-ers to keep their callipers and fit 2zz rotors.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fronts on the zzw30 and the zze122 are both the same, as is the Prius :P zzw30 rear brake pads are the same as the sw20.

Rear on the zze122 and 123 are both the same.

*I'm basing this on pad shape as I have never held a zzw30 calliper in my hand.

• 4 months later...

guy's,

1. Can i assume that zzw30 mr-s front brake are identical as ZZE122 brake?

2. Whichever brake kit for ZZE123 also able to fit on ZZE122?

Im looking to upgrade my front brake but i wish to do it in budget. Already on steel braided hose and Ferodo brake pad however i notice my brake was still spongy feeling and my sotck rotor dont last me more thn 1 year

Edited by normality78

Bah, I'am no expert, but I am a researcher :D

I think with the ST202 twin pistons calipers they will bolt on, but may need to be milled a bit in order for them to sit central over the disc. You'll also need larger rotors, which in this case would be zze123 rotors.

The ST185 twin piston calipers will bolt onto the zze12# corollas, but you'll need the zze122 disc (255mm). If you use the ST185 disc (255mm) you will need the holes to be redrilled to suit (5x100 vs 4x100 PDC).IMO you will notice a larger improvement with a larger disc then twin pistons on a smaller disc.

I think maybe going with better disc then stock as well as a complete flush of your brake system with some good quality DOT5.1 fluid should help with the sponginess. May I ask you, under what kinda of conditions are your brakes failing to hold up??

Bah, I'am no expert, but I am a researcher :D

I think with the ST202 twin pistons calipers they will bolt on, but may need to be milled a bit in order for them to sit central over the disc. You'll also need larger rotors, which in this case would be zze123 rotors.

The ST185 twin piston calipers will bolt onto the zze12# corollas, but you'll need the zze122 disc (255mm). If you use the ST185 disc (255mm) you will need the holes to be redrilled to suit (5x100 vs 4x100 PDC).IMO you will notice a larger improvement with a larger disc then twin pistons on a smaller disc.

I think maybe going with better disc then stock as well as a complete flush of your brake system with some good quality DOT5.1 fluid should help with the sponginess. May I ask you, under what kinda of conditions are your brakes failing to hold up??

Late model ST184 calipers + ZZE123 rotors should be a winner.

Braided lines + slotted front rotors + new pads + dot 5 fluids.

Seems to do the job. No more sponginess and car feels great! Stopping that is.

suprathai,

on high speed. For example, while on 160kmh thn brake hard, i can see my car not stopping and brake produce groan noise

try the above ....

I was in the same boat as you but the above fixed it.

Else you can upgrade later to a full blown kit. No harm done there .....

Im looking to upgrade my front brake but i wish to do it in budget. Already on steel braided hose and Ferodo brake pad however i notice my brake was still spongy feeling and my sotck rotor dont last me more thn 1 year

A spongy pedal can be many things. Tapered pads, tapered rotors, master cylinder flex or leaking seals in the master cylinder, to name a few. I'm surprised you can wear out the rotors in a year, do you drive 100,000+km a year? Are you getting them machined each service?

FYI.....

AE101 superstrut calipers will bolt on to the 1ZZ but will need a little grinding to make it fit. You will find that the pads will be on the edge of the stock 1ZZ's disc but the 2ZZ disc will not clear the calipes.

14dftwy.jpg

Fitted to a 1ZZ

2wq8v21.jpg

Pad size difference between 1ZZ and Superstrut Calipers (SW20 pads)

Edited by vvti16v

Shamless plug - I have brand new TRD AE101 brake pads for sale :ph34r:

hahaha I had a look before and I think your pads are not for the AE101 Superstrut's

AE101・111

(Super strut suspension) 91.6- 00.8 04491-SW210 F

AE101・111

(MacPherson strut suspension、

Rear disc brake model) 91.6- 00.8 04491-AE100

Please tell me you are not doing this on public roads...

Repeated heavy braking will mean that your brake fluid is overheating/boiling. so if your travelling 160km/hr and then braking hard, I would think that your brake pads are not up to the task and are overheating.

Random hero is right though on the ST185 calipers, with that said ST204 calipers should work as well just neededing to adjust the offsets. I'm currently looking at St204 calipers for my starlet, and maybe at the same time I could dummy fit them on the sportivo and see what needs to be done to get it to fit properly.

Stay tuned I suppose, a busy weekend coming up for me.

suprathai,

on high speed. For example, while on 160kmh thn brake hard, i can see my car not stopping and brake produce groan noise

try the above ....

I was in the same boat as you but the above fixed it.

Else you can upgrade later to a full blown kit. No harm done there .....

Hi bro, i've done the mentioned except im using Dot4 but not Dot5.1. As for pad, im going to try out EBC next

Please tell me you are not doing this on public roads...

Repeated heavy braking will mean that your brake fluid is overheating/boiling. so if your travelling 160km/hr and then braking hard, I would think that your brake pads are not up to the task and are overheating.

Random hero is right though on the ST185 calipers, with that said ST204 calipers should work as well just neededing to adjust the offsets. I'm currently looking at St204 calipers for my starlet, and maybe at the same time I could dummy fit them on the sportivo and see what needs to be done to get it to fit properly.

Stay tuned I suppose, a busy weekend coming up for me.

Yes, im on public road but not illegal racing. My work place is around 50km away frm where i stay and have to travel from highway. I dont need couple repeat heavy braking and i dont do repeated heavy breaking. Well i do think my brake pad is not up to task though

wait for your update then....