Third TRD model

We are a small drop in the ocean compared to the market out there. A 3.5L corolla will conflict with sales against the aurion. A supercharged yaris with around 130-140kw wouldn't be too bad I guess, and taking into account that the new rolla is one heavy medium car (1300kg OMG).

They should have just imported the AWD Blade, rebadged it as a TRD Corolla and called it a day.

They won't get any complaints about it, it looks different enough, so they don't need to really add anything.

hahaha thts so true..im so not complaning

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are a small drop in the ocean compared to the market out there. A 3.5L corolla will conflict with sales against the aurion. A supercharged yaris with around 130-140kw wouldn't be too bad I guess, and taking into account that the new rolla is one heavy medium car (1300kg OMG).

I disagree. The Corolla and the Aurion are 2 completly different cars aimed at 2 completely different markets. The size difference is huge as well as the luxury and price of the Big 6. You will not get many buyers deciding between the 2. They are marketed to completely different buyers. HSV have the astra and the commodore in their range and they dont compete with each other. I cant honestly see any conflict.

Rollamods Wrote:

Seriously...

Do you think a V6 FWD auto corolla would compete with the AWD turbo manual MPS's and WRX's??

I know what I'd spend my money on.

The Mazda 3 MPS is 190kw and "FWD". How is it any different? I agree it would have to be available as a manual though.

The new Rex looks like a Daewoo Lanos, I cant see many enthusiasts buying it.

If the car already exists, surely it wouldnt be too hard to bring it out here, modify it enough to be a true TRD car.

The power is there, you just have to make sure the chassis came up to the power of the engine.

mazda6mps_wet_lrg.jpg

He's talking about that one. It's AWD.

the price is definitely not over 60k with the price sheet infront of me :)

Furthermore they would lose cred to their name if they just did a simple rebadge to a JDM car. TRD was created for a reason, and they make sure that they stick to it. I don't think PBR would he happy either for a simple rebadge. If they did a 3.5L rav4 it would be sad though as the USDM has a 3.5L Rav4 already. Bring on the yaris I say, 120kw just to get ahead of the polo gti and ralliart colt.

Just had a look at the Wheels mag again it states:
"Meet the Toyota Blade Master G - Japan's biggest, baddest derivative of the Corolla Family. Just unleashed in Tokyo, the Master G may have a name straight outta Compton (LA) but it combines premium trimmings with a 206kw, 3.5-Litre V6... driving the front wheels.

Probing the upper limits of front-wheel-drive traction the Master G gets the same 2GR-FE V6 as the big, Australian made Aurion making it Toyota's answer to the Volkswagen Golf R32.

The G is the Flagship of the Blade range - a Japan only, upscale derivative of the Corolla. The basic Blade runs a 2.4-litre Camry Engine and boasts double A-arm rear suspension to deliver better handling than the cheap torsion beam of the Corolla.

The Master G also has a unique front end. It's bigger, deeper grille provides more head-on visual punch while low-profile tyres on 17 inch alloys better fill the arches.

Inside the cockpit, there are steering wheel paddleshifters for the six speed automatic, and an extensive list of comfort and convenience equipment.

In Japan, the Master G costs the equivalent of $32,000. Word up bro"

Can confirm! I read this same article only yesterday.

Just a shame it misses out on AWD.

Keep in mind though, if it did come out in Oz with a 32k price tag, i think it would do pretty dam well against the 3 MPS, XR5, Golf GTi brigade. It would win hand's down from a 'bang for buck' point of view. Provided of course they figure out how to get all that power to the ground and are sure to include a nice list of standard features for such a car. Eg: seats, brakes, wheels, ride height, perhaps even some interior carbon highlights etc.

• 1 month later...

So far we have...

-TRD Aurion

-TRD Hilux soon to be released.

-?

-?

With Toyota now launching a V6 RAV4, it makes you think it should be pretty simply to supercharge that with the same components from the Aurion and slap on a TRD badge. But where will that leave Kluger if you have a fair sized RAV4 now with more grunt. Maybe/Maybe not.

I highly doubt we will see a TRD Corolla. I think the market is now saturated with Hot Hatches in the Small Car class.

But a TRD Yaris on the other hand is still highly possible. The market doesn't have too many compact hot hatches and it shouldn't be too difficult to rebadge the Europe Yaris TS (Toyota has one here for evaluation) as a TRD Yaris. It has a 1.8L n/a 4 and a nice looking kit and it would do well in the market against cars such as the new Mazda 2, Upcoming Fiat Punto and 500 Abarth.

Seriously...

Do you think a V6 FWD auto corolla would compete with the AWD turbo manual MPS's and WRX's??

I know what I'd spend my money on.

I wouldnt say a V6 FWD auto corolla would compete with the AWD MPS and WRX...but id say if Toyota released a TRD spec of the corolla it would be the sportivo shell with supercharged 1.8l, economical still 1.8l, quick, luxury, 4 door.....its the complete deal...people want cars they can still drive to the shops...not like wrx where u have to have dinner while watchin the car in the street......DO IT TOYOTA...DO IT...my 2 cents....stephen

Not really. The Blade Master G has AWD and a 2GR-FE, or so I have heard.

http://toyota.jp/blade/

Go look it up yourself. The AWD blade only comes with the 2.4L 2AZ.

The only place an AWD 2GR blade has been mentioned is in old motoring blogs where they were speculating.

I trust Autoblog enough, and they said it was launched???

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/02/japan-t...ster-hatchback/

Regardless of what engine it has, it looks good and I think it'd look differentiated enough to just use it's body as is for a TRD product with a Corolla nametag.

bladev62.jpg

bladev61.jpg

that looks so crap! it looks...well, it looks like exactly what it is: a Japanese car that has tried to go too European (in the wrong ways). a TRD Corolla based on the blade would be equivalent to those really HOT asian chicks you see on saturday night with dyed blonde hair. You're damn keen on taking her out for a spin but way in the back of your mind, you know something just looks out of place. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

btw, i'm Asian, so don't get offended my Asian brethren. hehehe

So far we have...

-TRD Aurion

-TRD Hilux soon to be released.

-?

-?

With Toyota now launching a V6 RAV4, it makes you think it should be pretty simply to supercharge that with the same components from the Aurion and slap on a TRD badge. But where will that leave Kluger if you have a fair sized RAV4 now with more grunt. Maybe/Maybe not.

I highly doubt we will see a TRD Corolla. I think the market is now saturated with Hot Hatches in the Small Car class.

But a TRD Yaris on the other hand is still highly possible. The market doesn't have too many compact hot hatches and it shouldn't be too difficult to rebadge the Europe Yaris TS (Toyota has one here for evaluation) as a TRD Yaris. It has a 1.8L n/a 4 and a nice looking kit and it would do well in the market against cars such as the new Mazda 2, Upcoming Fiat Punto and 500 Abarth.

Personally would liked to see a TRD corolla. But it wouldnt be too suprised wince everything would be within expectation. But yaris would make more sense to push the little thing to over 100kw, it would do good in that small car division.

$36k FWD is a waste of money.

supercharge the yaris i say.

Ford Focus XR5 is selling quite well

I think the Ford Focus is a completely different car to the Corolla, its different in a good way. The Corolla is still a Corolla

I'd like to see a TRD Yaris, it'd be unique for its market, and I would consider buying one

Edited by Seanious

A 240kW RAV4 would be a pretty scary drive me thinks :unsure::blink:

that's where the best traction control system (read: your right foot) comes into play. hehehe. it will only put out as much power as your right foot commands.

that's where the best traction control system (read: your right foot) comes into play. hehehe. it will only put out as much power as your right foot commands.

LOL it's the braking and handling I'm worried about

TRD Corolla should just be a road going version of the old Corolla WRC. Problem solved. :D

Double thumbs up to that idea

May not be practical but it would be brillant, and before you all say no way would cost too much who would pay more than 50k for a Corolla, think how much the Evo's and STi's first went for

I personally think they won't make a TRD Corolla because of the current choice of engines available for such a machine. Even if you go up to the 2L category what do you have available to you? 1AZ? 3ZR? 1TR? Give me a break. I realise I'll probably get torched later on by 2008 Corolla fans who will proclaim their 2ZR is the best thing since sliced bread but compared to the 4A, 3S and 2ZZ engines these modern engines border on a complete joke as far as performance goes.

I personally think they won't make a TRD Corolla because of the current choice of engines available for such a machine. Even if you go up to the 2L category what do you have available to you? 1AZ? 3ZR? 1TR? Give me a break. I realise I'll probably get torched later on by 2008 Corolla fans who will proclaim their 2ZR is the best thing since sliced bread but compared to the 4A, 3S and 2ZZ engines these modern engines border on a complete joke as far as performance goes.

The 2ZR boys won't have a leg to stand on... I'm with you :)

Tell me more :g:

probably everything you want to know

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_GR_engine

and for those who want a better understanding of Toyota's naming convention

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_engines

Also i wish toyota would just stop tinkering with these little 1.8L and finally bite the bullet and upgrade to their 2L range like the 3ZR-FE or even better the 3ZR-FAE ..... with Toyota's new variable lift intake technology dubbed "Valvematic" ;) ;) ;)

101 kW @ 6000 rpm & 175 Nm @ 4400 rpm vs 116 kW @ 6,200 rpm & 195 Nm @ 4,400 rpm

i know which i would rather drive ;)

ok so maybe not make all of them 2L's but atleast the levin ZR

The Toyota Blade in japan has the option of a 2GR but only comes in a FWD auto. Same chassis as the Australian car, so easyish option for decent power.

TRD Australia would never go down that path though as it's far too much work to carry out locally. They seem to want a bolt-on solution for more power like the superchargers instead of going for a completely different drivetrain than the rest of the local lineup.

typical lazy toyota ..... dont wanna be adventurous anymore ...... then again they are making huge $$$$$ by not being adventurous at the moment .....

• 2 months later...

I heard rumours that the 4th model will be the new Supra and it would be available in 3 grades N/A, Twin Turbo and a very limited run of exceptionally high powered twin turbos