CES exhaust

OK guys I've spent the evening going through the TOPICS PREVIOUSLY COVERED section looking at everything posted in there, but there is no mention of the one thing I am curious about...

Does the CES catback exhaust fit on the 1zz?

I got a MASSIVE tax return (I didn't claim threshold when i started working, 6k thanks much back :yahoo: ) and I'm thinking it's my next logical step.

Getting it sent up here shouldn't be a problem (hehe I'm 16 hours away from the shop).

Just checking with the club before I go annoying the boys at the shop.

P.S. please please don't flame me

Haha you shouldn't get flamed here it's a legitimate question :lol:

The CES exhaust could probably be adapted to fit 1ZZ but it is 2.5" in diameter. Research has shown that the optimum exhaust diameter for 1ZZ is 2.25", 2.5" is too large. The convenience here is that if you have a mate with a Sportivo who is buying a CES exhaust, go to the shop with him and have them bolt up the standard Sportivo exhaust onto your car when they've finished ripping it off his, perfect ;)

Check the CES thread because Northy made a post some time ago about CES working on a 2.25" system for the 1ZZ vehicles. How's that going Corey?

yea ive read heaps on this topic.. (and still confused up to this point) i have a "sportivo" exhaust for that deepthroat sound but im curious bout my girth.. so my 1zz is only 2"?

i can change this to 2.25"?

and another thing im curious about is the catback.. 1zz's have this as stock or not? i dont think i see one on mine

Edited by JJCRU23R

Mate, call CES. As it was known that he was looking into trying to do one for the 1ZZ, Trev & Lesley will not be peeved if you were to ring and ask how it was going.

I dare say, Northy or SILVABULLIT would know by know if they have done one and I haven't heard them mention in yet.

SILVABULLIT will actually be here at my house in, mmmm, 30 minutes to drop me off a futon, so I will ask him if he knows anything....

Cheers

Aaron

Check the CES thread because Northy made a post some time ago about CES working on a 2.25" system for the 1ZZ vehicles. How's that going Corey?

after all the **** CES was put through for making an exhaust for a 2zz they have simply not bothered with the 1zz catback. Trevor basically said, why should i bother going through all that crap again.....So if you want a catback you will have to ring CES, there are few 1zz's here in brisbane that have catbacks from CES because we seem to keep our opinions on stuff that we know nothing about to ourselves.... <_<

yea ive read heaps on this topic.. (and still confused up to this point) i have a "sportivo" exhaust for that deepthroat sound but im curious bout my girth.. so my 1zz is only 2"?

and another thing im curious about is the catback.. 1zz's have this as stock or not? i dont think i see one on mine

Jase I think you bought the "Sportivo" factory accessory that looks like the Levin exhaust with the little droopy tip. That's just the last piece (axleback) off the end of the normal 2" system. If you grab the actual exhaust system off a Corolla Sportivo it will be 2.25" and optimum size for 1ZZ, might not be as throaty as the "Sportivo" accessory but should make more power (wouldn't really notice I think).

If you think of the exhaust as 4 pieces it's easier to understand. You've got the headers/extractors/exhaust manifold which you probably know about, then the down-pipe bit that comes down out of the engine bay to the bottom of the car, then the catalytic converter and the "cat-back" part, then the last piece from the axle-back which is pretty much the muffler and a foot of pipe. All modern cars have a catalytic converter as it contains chemicals that react with the harmful gasses coming out of your engine and turn them into less harmful gasses (carbon dioxide?).

after all the **** CES was put through for making an exhaust for a 2zz they have simply not bothered with the 1zz catback. Trevor basically said, why should i bother going through all that crap again.....So if you want a catback you will have to ring CES, there are few 1zz's here in brisbane that have catbacks from CES because we seem to keep our opinions on stuff that we know nothing about to ourselves.... <_<

mban1257l.jpg

:blink:

They're a custom exhaust workshop, don't be lazy :P, pick up the phone and tell them what you want and they will be able to put something together for you, even if they don't have something already ready for your specific car they can just make one up.

They do make a system for the 1zz but haven't advertised it or keep them in stock as the enquiries for them are few and far between these days. They actually haven't done much Corolla stuff in the last 9 months or so due to the "tainting" of their name and products by some members and formers members of this forum.

By all means they are happy to whip something up for you as they have all the jigs etc etc and their quality is second to none and the their products actually do what they are supposed to do....... make more power!!!!!

people talking bad of ces?

i dont recall seeing anything negative bout em in these forums...

if i had the dosh theyd be the place id go to coz of the things people say in here bout them? i remmber someone saying their CAI is better than most other more pricey brands

Edited by JJCRU23R

well when they were first talking about a 1zz exhaust system it was going to be way way more expensive than a 2nd hand sportivo exhaust...which is the same size, correct me if i am wrong...but i just do not think the market is there at that price.

ok. i think that there is a confusion here, do the exhaust components used in the factory sportivo exhaust match the quality and performance of the components used buy ces, it seems that ces is only using high quality products. :idea:

just an idea guys.

i guess each to there own

Jase I think you bought the "Sportivo" factory accessory that looks like the Levin exhaust with the little droopy tip. That's just the last piece (axleback) off the end of the normal 2" system. If you grab the actual exhaust system off a Corolla Sportivo it will be 2.25" and optimum size for 1ZZ, might not be as throaty as the "Sportivo" accessory but should make more power (wouldn't really notice I think).

If you think of the exhaust as 4 pieces it's easier to understand. You've got the headers/extractors/exhaust manifold which you probably know about, then the down-pipe bit that comes down out of the engine bay to the bottom of the car, then the catalytic converter and the "cat-back" part, then the last piece from the axle-back which is pretty much the muffler and a foot of pipe. All modern cars have a catalytic converter as it contains chemicals that react with the harmful gasses coming out of your engine and turn them into less harmful gasses (carbon dioxide?).

so in theory a sportivo exhaust headers, downpipe, cat back would be a straight swap and fit my axleback?

so in theory a sportivo exhaust headers, downpipe, cat back would be a straight swap and fit my axleback?

Why would you want a whole exhaust system connected to your axle back??? :P

Generally no, usually when we refer to the sportivo exhaust on an 1zzfe. IIRC its from the cat converted to the muffler, either get it welded into place or have it flanged up and bolt on, the general shape is the same as that of the 1zzfe.

Cheers

Yup what suprathai said... You keep your 1ZZ extractors 'cos the 2ZZ won't fit, you keep your down pipe, your exhaust shop of choice hacks the rest off near the cat, then hacks off the Sportivo one at the same point, then welds or flanges the Sportivo "catback" onto your car. And bingo, 2.25" from the cat back.

As for bad blood on the forums about CES, it was mainly some members from Melbourne (who are since long gone) badmouthing the product and having a go at CES customers in Queensland. And all of this happened before you or I were members Jase or perhaps just as I joined up. Really though I think all the CES nay-sayers are gone and this state vs state rivalry is getting pretty old, from the viewpoint of somebody in a neutral state(territory!). If there was a shop of the same calibre & with a reputation like CES here in Canberra having a go and producing quality products for cars that generally have little aftermarket support like ours then I would back them 100% too.

If there was a shop of the same calibre & with a reputation like CES here in Canberra having a go and producing quality products for cars that generally have little aftermarket support like ours then I would back them 100% too.

I hear nothing but good things about that "City Custom Exhaust" place or wateva its called...

Yup what suprathai said... You keep your 1ZZ extractors 'cos the 2ZZ won't fit, you keep your down pipe, your exhaust shop of choice hacks the rest off near the cat, then hacks off the Sportivo one at the same point, then welds or flanges the Sportivo "catback" onto your car. And bingo, 2.25" from the cat back.

As for bad blood on the forums about CES, it was mainly some members from Melbourne (who are since long gone) badmouthing the product and having a go at CES customers in Queensland. And all of this happened before you or I were members Jase or perhaps just as I joined up. Really though I think all the CES nay-sayers are gone and this state vs state rivalry is getting pretty old, from the viewpoint of somebody in a neutral state(territory!). If there was a shop of the same calibre & with a reputation like CES here in Canberra having a go and producing quality products for cars that generally have little aftermarket support like ours then I would back them 100% too.

well put young Jimmy :toast:

the diff between the CES and a stock sportivo system would be fairly hard to measure unless you are prepared to do a back to back test of the 2 on the same car. Both have gains to be made but to my knowledge I haven't seen any dyno evidence of which is better.

Hey all, thanks for the feedback.

I do have to say there is a major difference between being lazy and working 6 days a week being unable to send my car down south. To the best of my knowledge, to make one up custom they would need the car right there in Brisbane. Can't do that.

I'm a bit confused by the replies say yes no yes no. Am I to assume they do have a completed 1zz catback exhaust made, and simply make to order, or did they abandon them completely. Some of the replies in here contradict one another.

If I'm not able to get a pre-designed exhaust system sent up to me, it means I'm $1000 closer to a ZZe321 (I've set my mind on a 2002+ celica but the GF wants me to continue modding the 1zz for her :toast: )

id just call em up n get a straight answer.

from what sb was saying it looks like theyll do what you want... though they probebly wont have one ready in stock.

whether they need your car there in order to make it is another issue... i would assume they would have kept the recipe 4 cooking up the parts you need so they wont need your car, and its not that different from the 2zz part which they also make... but im only assuming things..

just call em! on their homepage it does say:

"PHONE AND MAIL ORDERS WELCOME!"

ph: (07) 3200 2333 fax: (07) 3200 2344

No I haven't called yet. Sort of jumped the gun when i saw my bank balance. Looking at my situation before I go ahead with a big spend. Also giving the GF a chance to get some spare funds together to help. If she wants the 1zz done up a bit when I get the ZZt, I figure she can help doing it.