1986 Toyota Corona

Pheniox

Well I'm wanting to ask a few questions about this car, I just picked one up the other day.

It actually drives quiet well for an older car.

Theres a few thing I hope someone can help me with, I know its only got a 3 speed Automatic transmission in it, and that has caused some minor overheating when travelling at 100 - 110 on the freeway. Not only that the fuel econemy is pretty poor, 390k's from a full tank. which can really only be caused because of the harder reving engine in 3rd gear doing 100.

Is there a 4 speed auto or a manual gearbox that will fit onto it and is it hard to change,

or is there something I can do to improve fuel econemy and the harder reving engine?

The car has been reguarly serviced, the sticker in the window from the mechanic who services it had his number on it, so I rang, its due for its next service in october.

Any other tips and tricks would be appreciate.

Pheniox

• 2 weeks later...

the corona cs-x/avante models have a four speed auto in them,there were two engine variations- a 2.0 litre and 2.4 litre both are different so make sure you get the right box to suit your engine,as for changeover it can be a bigjob because the standard 3 speed has no allocation for a four speed conversion for the over drive circuit so you need to get the t-bar shifter and main wiring harness behind the dash going through the left guard and down to the gear box under the bonnet,BIG JOB! wiring wise,but easy conversion mechanically,good luck finding a avante model in the wrecking yards hard to come by,i found mine on ebay!

• 2 weeks later...

My Friend has an 85 Manual Corona which he has installed a Turbo and re done the whole engine and gearbox :)

He says its his Project car lol, even though he just bought a r32 Skyline

• 2 months later...
APPARENTLY the 2.4 is well suited to turbo applications...

i dont know at all... maybe juzt rumor ??

anybaaady know for shure ?

Ive had my 22RE corona CSI manual for about 10 yrs & I have just passed it on to my nephew. I freshened the engine up back in 97 after blowing HG. The 22RE is actually a rejigged commercial engine (hilux) but none the less a very good engine. Yes it does take to a turbo quite well. There is a fair bit of turbo-ing info on yankee toyota sites for the 22RE. It has a very strong bottom end from the factory. As far as I know the 22RE was built right up to 1999/2000 or something.

• 4 weeks later...
corona with 2.4 and manual = fun car, just add springs and shocks etc.

i wanna get dis car for fun

maybe i can find one :D

hey actually i have a 86 corona avante, but the engine is mixing oil and water even after recon head and all new gaskets and is basically dead but still has good panels and drive line manual box anything but the radiator, block and head are all good