Corolla Sportivo Problems ??

sik

Hey All,

Recently picked up a corolla sportivo 03 model. I Wasnt looking for one due to my honda obsession until taking the sportivo for a test drive. Was impressed! With 35,000 on the clock I didnt think their could be any drama's.

Reading over some posts I noticed some issues my car could have.

1. Noticed the spotivo does not want to shift into 2nd from 1st at higher RPM :angry: . Unless when the rpm drops I engage the cluch jerking the whole car. This cant be good! When I change gears shifting it feels like I touch the cogs directly with the gearstick, I am sure the clutch is in to the floor!

2. Park it and walk away I hear a ticking noice 10m away. Any one know what it is?

I did look over this forum and found heaps of members saying different things to these probs. Anyone got firm answers without seeing the car.

Thanks

SIK

PS: Anyone know the cost of short shifter, feels like driving a bus.

1. Noticed the spotivo does not want to shift into 2nd from 1st at higher RPM :angry: . Unless when the rpm drops I engage the cluch jerking the whole car. This cant be good! When I change gears shifting it feels like I touch the cogs directly with the gearstick, I am sure the clutch is in to the floor!

Sounds like the clutch wasn't adjusted properly

2. Park it and walk away I hear a ticking noice 10m away. Any one know what it is?

This is normal, it could be a lot of things. When things get hot they expand and when you park it they start to cool down so you get little creaks and pops as they move around.

1. The shifting issue was present in the pre facelift models 03-04. You can go to toyota to get the clutch adjusted which will resolve this issue. But in regards to the feeling the gears issue, out gear shift is no where near as smooth as a honda, you will get used to it.

2. Maybe it is you car cooling down i.e. exhaust cooling down makes ticking sounds all cars do it

A TRD short shifter will cost $269 from one of our helpful forum memebers, or $380 ovr the counter at castle hill toyota

Welcome mate

Yes i also have clutch issues as well with my 03 sportivo i just bought. Usually from 1st to second to get it to change under high revs just slot the gear stick straight down, don't try and push it to the left side and down you want to go straight down. I have no issues with second at the moment only going from 2nd into 3rd. If i let it rev to 8000+ i usually have trouble getting the gear into third. I'm going to look into this clutch adjustment soon.

Hey All,

Recently picked up a corolla sportivo 03 model. I Wasnt looking for one due to my honda obsession until taking the sportivo for a test drive. Was impressed! With 35,000 on the clock I didnt think their could be any drama's.

Reading over some posts I noticed some issues my car could have.

I did look over this forum and found heaps of members saying different things to these probs. Anyone got firm answers without seeing the car.

Thanks

SIK

PS: Anyone know the cost of short shifter, feels like driving a bus.

Maybe the ticking noise is a bomb timer?

• 5 years later...

I have the same issue with my 04 sportivo too.
Apparently the standard factory clutch can't handle it when it goes to high rev so you cant quick shift from first to second well. My mate got his replaced with a Heavy Duty clutch and now there isnt no problems. So that's what I'm going to do.

Go to Toyota/Lexus and get them to adjust the clutch. The problem is the clutch wasn't adjusted correctly from the factory; it doesn't release the clutch enough and it drags slightly. The reason why going to a new clutch is because it needs adjustment after fitment. The adjustment is what fixes the problem.