fibreglass front bar modification..

gday all,

just wondering if anyone here knows about modifying bodykits to fit 98%< ?

ive got this idea i wanna run by everyone here that has knowledge bout this sort of stuff.

this is what ive got right now...

DSCF1844.jpg

problem: may not fit flush round the grille + headlights... as the previous owner experienced and has tried to fit it to his corolla b4 deciding to sell it to me.

i want this thing to fit PERFECT.. like it came stock with the car. ambitious? i know.. impossible?, probebly... but i want to know my options and everything i could possibly do to get it to fit right.

the thing i was thinking about is possibly cutting the lower half of the fibreglass bar and somehow attaching it (probebly using screws, fibreglass and bodyfiller) to the upper half of a original stock front bumper.

i know i can do this in theory, just wondering if its just the WRONG thing to do to make it fit right.

this idea would probebly come last as i can imagine it would take heaps of work to figure out the exact place to cut... so any advice or websites you can direct me to on how to safely bend fibreglass would be appreciated.

jase

also if worst comes to worse... what panel beaters in the western suburbs would you trust to properly install something liek this?

Edited by JJCRU23R

1 step at a time tayles! geez! yea i was considering that... well just wait and see once i got hte thing mounted ok!

like where exactly would you want the numberplate to sit? i know on the side slightly, but do i attach it to the mesh part or into the bar itself, just on the passengers side? the evo numberplates hang over the mesh holes but are attached on the bumper part.. well see how it goes

btw ill be following your lead... with the lack of sideskirts and rear bar (for now)... lol

Edited by JJCRU23R

Sorry mate just gettin excited about it :D

The Evo ones are drilled into the plastic just below the headlight like so:

mitsubishi_lancer_evolution_mr_fq_360_front.jpg

Yours looks perfect for the same idea

P.S. Lol who needs 'em anyway, they just add weight!

Edited by Tayles

chances are ill have it painted at a shop somewhere.. i dont trust my DIY skills enough to paint it as well as the rest of the factory paint on my car.

but ill have a go at fitting it. heat gun is ready n waiting.. stay tuned for tomorrow ill be trying to figure out how to take my stock bar off!

if u r in victoria, pm me, i know who can do this job in vic. Good quality. Seen how he done similar bodykit with problems.

im in NSW. what kinda things does your guy do?

youve been PM

--------------

and another thing..

this front bar has already been cut because theres a reinforcement bar in the way of it fitting right. carmate and other places like sinex body kits say it has to either be removed or cut! what would happen if i removed it or cut it????

Edited by JJCRU23R

• 4 months later...
if u r in victoria, pm me, i know who can do this job in vic. Good quality. Seen how he done similar bodykit with problems.

im in NSW. what kinda things does your guy do?

youve been PM

--------------

and another thing..

this front bar has already been cut because theres a reinforcement bar in the way of it fitting right. carmate and other places like sinex body kits say it has to either be removed or cut! what would happen if i removed it or cut it????

hmmm well the reinforcement its made of foam isnt it? i dont know what the insurance implications are with modifying a crash absorbing part despite the fact that its probably only to keep the bars shape have you tried fitting it up yet?

id rate it at 50%.

the front bar is attached by 4 screws, 2 on each end of the grille and 1 on each wheel well.

with just the 2 grille screws attached, the actual grill fits correctly, while the other 2 are all over the place.

DSCF1849.jpg

DSCF1925.jpg

DSCF1926.jpg

DSCF1927.jpg

you can see on the pic below, the front bar around the grille isnt perfect... hard 2 explain, but the stock front bar is a much more tight fit.

i took this pic at one of the monthly meets and the owner of this car actually removed the reinforcement so the lower airvents look really good. unfortunately the guy got into some sort of accident which explains the cracking in certain areas... and he definately wasnt happy with carmates installation.

DSCF1561.jpg

DSCF1851.jpg

btw im still looking for a panelbeater that can do this job.

racingx looks like a decent place but its a bit 2 far and their website says they need more than a week - thats an eternity without my car! so i might have to wait until i get a 2nd car (probebly a van) so i wont have to go without.

every other place that i emailed has not replied to me - so POO ON them.

i will name and shame once i remmber their links... hmph!

if/when i get this thing installed, im gonna make sure to check how well it fits b4 i give the goahead to paint. last thing i want is to find the thing painted and i see an imperfection i cant live with.

Edited by JJCRU23R

id rate it at 50%.

the front bar is attached by 4 screws, 2 on each end of the grille and 1 on each wheel well.

with just the 2 grille screws attached, the actual grill fits correctly, while the other 2 are all over the place.

DSCF1849.jpg

DSCF1925.jpg

DSCF1926.jpg

DSCF1927.jpg

you can see on the pic below, the front bar around the grille isnt perfect... hard 2 explain, but the stock front bar is a much more tight fit.

i took this pic at one of the monthly meets and the owner of this car actually removed the reinforcement so the lower airvents look really good. unfortunately the guy got into some sort of accident which explains the cracking in certain areas... and he definately wasnt happy with carmates installation.

yeah fiberglass bars are really pathetic in that regard one hit and they crack up and look nasty then its just a waste

from the photos it looks like its almost there cept the sides look too far out can you get all the screws in? or is it too rigid to fit right.

cant belive itd take over a week to do if anyone needed that long for just a front bumper i doubt id trust them with my car as it is my cars getting its bumper fixed cause some retard backed into it then took off too bad for him i got the number plate though.

this statement was taken from the xracing.com.au website:

"All X-Customs work requires booking and face to face discussion of your intentions, NO quotations will be given via email or over the phone.

Please understand that all custom work requires time to complete, for example a custom front bumper will be impossible to complete in one week. We will give you estimation of time required and make sure you come with a smile and leave with a smile."

this isnt just for fitting, its custom work which means that the bumper should fit almost perfectly without obvious gaps and imperfections.

i can appreciate that it would take at least 2-3 days if you know what you are doing... but if they charge per hour... GEEZ... looks like i might have 2 save up.

anyways, the biggest imperfections are the gaps around the headlights and the grille... and yea all 4 screws cant be screwed in without some serious warping.

Edited by JJCRU23R

i was in AWE when i saw this car... to see the frontbar actually fitted and painted.. even with the imperfections i thought it looked great.

but yea with my car i want it installed as close to perfect as possible... i think it was the accident which makes it look worse than it looks.

this statement was taken from the xracing.com.au website:

"All X-Customs work requires booking and face to face discussion of your intentions, NO quotations will be given via email or over the phone.

Please understand that all custom work requires time to complete, for example a custom front bumper will be impossible to complete in one week. We will give you estimation of time required and make sure you come with a smile and leave with a smile."

this isnt just for fitting, its custom work which means that the bumper should fit almost perfectly without obvious gaps and imperfections.

i can appreciate that it would take at least 2-3 days if you know what you are doing... but if they charge per hour... GEEZ... looks like i might have 2 save up.

anyways, the biggest imperfections are the gaps around the headlights and the grille... and yea all 4 screws cant be screwed in without some serious warping.

hmmm still seems like a long time to make it a custom fit but hey if the place that made it specifically for the car actually tested it before it was produced then it would have been easier for you.

but your right it does look good real good id want one too if i wasnt dirt poor if it took over a week to make fit right id be concerned about the hours they might charge for it too

tayles ive been shopping round for fibreglassing books to make sure im doing the right thing instead of making it up as i go along like i usually do... but believe me i would so much rather do it myself.. that is always my preference.. doing it myself... muahahaha

45something bucks for a decent fibreglass book about doing up/repairing bike and car bodys... doesnt seem like much but im still only earning part time baking money right now. once i start earning full time teaching money- just wait n see id get everything i ever wanted on my car... :P

you know what i took my car in to get the dent in the bumper repaired the assessor just called and turns out itll take them a week to repair the front bar so i guess it must take a long time to fix something lucky im not paying for it

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...