New clutch and flywheel

Hey i just picked up my new clutch and lightweight flywheel. They where ordered from Xtreme clutches in Adelaide. The clutch kit apears to be a bit of many manufacturers. The pressure plate looks to be a repainted exedy item and the plate is an unknown brand. The flywheel i thought might have been made by them but according to the paperwork that came with it, its made by fidanza. Now i cant wait for them to be installed ;)

Clutch.jpg

Flywheel.jpg

Flywheel1.jpg

Just out of interest if I may ask how much did it set you back. Also what is the weight of the flywheel. You will be happy once installed I know I am with the flywheel and clutch I have (TOMS and TRD). Fidanza are a qood quality brand.

Mine was slightly more expensive but you pay for names sometimes. Congratulations how soon are you going to fit it. Also you will find when done that when you start the car it will sound different a bit tinny. Our (ILIVFOR6 and I) flywheel is 3.8 kg so slightly heavier but idles with no issue.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Bruce's website the TRD flywheel weigh 4.4 kgs - Is the TOMS one that much lighter?? What's the stock one weigh?

I'm now considering LSD (top of my list), clutch and flywheel as my next mods. In a year or two I'll go with extractors and Unichip I think. I've definitely got the modding bug!

Is it necessary to replace the flywheel at the same time as the clutch, or isnt it necessarry?? Whats the advantage of a lightened flywheel?

After 43,000kms my little echos clutch is slipping badly after short periods of thrashing (im a hoon) ... and its time to go shopping soon.

Any WEBSITE URLS of places to buy TRD/Toms products would be appreciated.

Is it necessary to replace the flywheel at the same time as the clutch, or isnt it necessarry??  Whats the advantage of a lightened flywheel?

After 43,000kms my little echos clutch is slipping badly after short periods of thrashing (im a hoon) ... and its time to go shopping soon.

Any WEBSITE URLS of places to buy TRD/Toms products would be appreciated.

A lightened flywheel allows engine revs to climb and descend quicker ( As there's less recipricating mass that the engine has to turn ). As such it will make the engine alot more responsive, particularly for small capacity engines. The reason people change the clutch at the same time is that they are located at the same place, so if you going to the trouble to open everything up to put in a new flywheel, you may as well put in an upgraded heavier duty clutch at the same time. Many standard clutches aren't too strong in order to make the clutch feel soft for all sorts of drivers.

The labour costs is around +-$500. So do it at the same time. IMO, the lightened flywheel will give the best straight line acceleration improvement than any other mods. Honda claims the 2004 Civic TypeR is 0.3 sec quicker to 100km/h than the 2003 Civic TypeR because of a lighter flywheel.

Imagine how much time we can cut by getting a eg. 3.8kg TOMs flywheel compared to stock 7.5kg. The heavier duty clutch will also improve the gear shifting feel and i truly believe gear shifting problems. WHY? Because i had a MY97 WRX before and my brother in law was driving in it one day and he all of a sudden pulled over. The gears JAMMED! Sounds familiar hey? I got in the car and the clutch was stuck to the floor. I pumped it many times and played with the shifter and luckily it loosened up and i was able to drive home. I got a brass- button clutch a couple of weeks later and everything was sweet, no sticking or jamming and my brother in law got to drive it again. But the weak gearbox only lasted about a year against the brass button clutch before i broke 2nd gear :(

My Stivo has 13,000kms and the clutch feels stuffed already not to mention the annoying and troubling gearbox issue. For Stivo owners i will be inclined to mod the clutch and flywheel as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the gearbox. But Toyota should be the one taking full responsibility not us. I for one won't be backing down if i end up with serious gearbox issues :angry:

Zee

Excellent summary guys ........ i knew that they are close together, saves on installation costs if u get both at the same time .... and by the sounds of it, its worthwhile to do both at once.

One other question,

Will a clutch get progressively worse, or can it just die for no reason?

Mine will slip fairly bad after short sessions of thrashing or flat changing. However, if i park it, leave it fro an hour and wait for it to cool down ... i can then drive it all day sensiblyt and it'll be ok. Im just scared that once day its not gonna keep doing this.

I read on a Matrix forum that getting a lightened flywheel for the 2ZZ-GE is a bad idea. They said that whereas it alows for quicker revs it also drops revs significantly during shifting which means droping out of "lift" more often. Is this true? Have any of you had this experience?

I really want to know because this is on my list of upgrades. :)

I've driven with the TRD Flywheel which is not the lightest flywheel on the market and it doesnt drop that much. if at all it didnt :blink:

Now as for Fidanza and TOM's flywheels I am yet to drive and give you feedback from (sorry :( )

I read on a Matrix forum that getting a lightened flywheel for the 2ZZ-GE is a bad idea. They said that whereas it alows for quicker revs it also drops revs significantly during shifting which means droping out of "lift" more often. Is this true? Have any of you had this experience?

If you shift fast enough, it won't drop. If keep your foot on the accelerator, it'll stay in lift too. :D

The only concern for me is going up steep hills. I was told cars with narrow torque bands lose speed easily with too light a flywheel when driving up hills?

The only concern for me is going up steep hills. I was told cars with narrow torque bands lose speed easily with too light a flywheel when driving up hills?

Thats really bad news for me because we have a lot of hills here. Please guys, I dont have a lot of money to spend on my car but I want effective upgrades. I need solid information on the true pros and cons of this upgrade. My goal is to have 175whp with killer handling. I'm now at 154whp with my TRD CAI on the way. My major upgrade plans include CAI, exhaust, flyweel, clutch and chassis stiffening. I'm sure you guys can share some other tuning tricks to help get more power down. So basically I can't afford to make bad choices.

mate, like me and the others who have done it, have said before. it has HELPED in climbing up hills. may not apply to other make of cars but on ours this is what happens.

mate, like me and the others who have done it, have said before. it has HELPED in climbing up hills. may not apply to other make of cars but on ours this is what happens.

Thats great. TRD, TOMS or Fidanza?

Thats great. TRD, TOMS or Fidanza?

TRD and Toms

Well i guess i have to listen to you guys if i am going to get myself a lightweight flywheel. I will wait for Dave to have his fitted and have a ride to get a feel of it. Can't wait :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA