Clock light

Chriz

Hi guys. I don't know if this sort of thing would have been discussed previously, but here I go anyway. I bought a 2003 Corolla sedan recently and the in dash clock works, but for some reason the back light has never worked. I assume that the clock should really be illuminated by a green back light. Can the back light actually be shut off and turned back on again, or does it sound like the LEDs or circuitry have gone?

Hi guys. I don't know if this sort of thing would have been discussed previously, but here I go anyway. I bought a 2003 Corolla sedan recently and the in dash clock works, but for some reason the back light has never worked. I assume that the clock should really be illuminated by a green back light. Can the back light actually be shut off and turned back on again, or does it sound like the LEDs or circuitry have gone?

u cnt shut it off but u can screw up the wiring and light :P

after multiple removal of my centre console and stuff.. i manage to screw up my clock light and yeh.. i think its jsut as much as changing the bulb if its a blown bulb :)

size wise.. i would love to know :) never seen bulb that small :P

• 3 months later...
I'm located in the Liverpool region of Sydney. Aren't the back lights actually LEDs as opposed to bulbs with filaments?

typically they are becoming more LEDs!

But sometimes you still see filament bulbs still, especially those "condom" looking ones (warm white colour with a coloured covering over it :P)

If you could take it out, i'm sure I can help you identify which bulbs it takes :)

• 6 months later...
from stock they ARE actually very small Bulbs with Filaments.

you can replace them with T5 Size LED's from Autobarn. 3a Racing sells packs of Ten Globes for $9.95. you just need to transfer the LED globe into the stock globe housing. Very easy job.

yeh i did that, but the light wont light up no matter how many ways i try puttin in the led bulb

the original bulb wont light up either

from stock they ARE actually very small Bulbs with Filaments.

you can replace them with T5 Size LED's from Autobarn. 3a Racing sells packs of Ten Globes for $9.95. you just need to transfer the LED globe into the stock globe housing. Very easy job.

yeh i did that, but the light wont light up no matter how many ways i try puttin in the led bulb

the original bulb wont light up either

could be time to go to the wreckers for a new dash console...

hahaha

turns out the clock light turns on when the car is on acc, not when you turn on your lights

lol

what a waste of an hour

:blush:

HAHAH i know your pain.. i was changing the polarity on the LED's for the climate control for ages till i realised in need to have the Ignition on for the panel to light up... sooo frustrating.

glad to hear you've sorted it.

• 3 months later...

u cnt shut it off but u can screw up the wiring and light :P

after multiple removal of my centre console and stuff.. i manage to screw up my clock light and yeh.. i think its jsut as much as changing the bulb if its a blown bulb :)

size wise.. i would love to know :) never seen bulb that small :P

lol old post but I think I just screwd up my clock light as well :(

did anyone manage to find a solution? :P

not sure about the clock light then, maybe just a bad bulb?

lol, my demister light died a couple of weeks ago too

hmm yeh I think i might have screwd up the bulbs somehow while playin around with my console :(

i'll try replace the bulbs and let ya know how it goes

Clock light is T5

Aircon Dials are T5x2

A/C + Hazard are T3 Neo Wedge

Airbag + Demister are T2 Neo Wedge.

For the NEO Wedge ones, one guy sells LED versions on Ebay but they are bad quality and have a bad spread and that being said you will struggle to see the light.

The T5's that autobarn sell are good for the Clock however for the Aircon Dials you will be very disappointed as they are very Din. If you do replace the Clock Light with one of the ones from Autobarn, sand the light down a bit to prevent a big bright spot in the middle.

For those wanting to change the Aircon dial lights i have tried the following light sources.

Autobarn Leds - Blue - $8 - Very Dull not worth the money - Pack of 5 though...

Ebay (Link) - White - $7.10 - Bright in the middle, no light at the side - only 2 and very disappointing

Ebay (Link) – Blue - $7.95 – These are the wiedest LED’s I have seen – They have 3 prongs which spreads the light almost perfectly. With these I got 90% even spread with a little bit of a disappointment on the right hand side of the aircon dials.

Bit OT however im sure it will be use to those that want to change their globes.

• 3 years later...

Clock light is T5

Aircon Dials are T5x2

A/C + Hazard are T3 Neo Wedge

Airbag + Demister are T2 Neo Wedge.

For the NEO Wedge ones, one guy sells LED versions on Ebay but they are bad quality and have a bad spread and that being said you will struggle to see the light.

The T5's that autobarn sell are good for the Clock however for the Aircon Dials you will be very disappointed as they are very Din. If you do replace the Clock Light with one of the ones from Autobarn, sand the light down a bit to prevent a big bright spot in the middle.

For those wanting to change the Aircon dial lights i have tried the following light sources.

Wow, I'm bringing back my own really old post. I haven't been on this forum for a few years. I never ended up changing the clock bulb as I changed my audio system which showed the clock anyway, but now I'm considering changing this as the air con light is also out. My car is 2002 (MY03) ZZE122R. Is there a guide on how to dismantle the console to access the bulbs?