Bad Fuel Economy.

Blinkybill

Is anyone out there getting poor fuel economy from the Aurion. Have an ATX which now is well run inn with a few thousand km. My wife does city driving only. 20-25 min trips to work and back in suburban peak traffic. Plenty of stop start but I wouldn't say bumper to bumper.

Now we have been getting on average fuel economy of 14-15 L/100km, meaning we average 350km per tank before filling up (about 1/4 full).

Now have been reading stories of people getting close to the quoted 10 L/100km.

To me this just seems unachievable with my car.

We are not driving the car with a lead foot.

I'm starting to get paranoid that there is something wrong with my car.

Is there anyone in the same situation doing the same type of driving as we are? Should I be getting the car looked at? Is there anything that could be causing this? I am for the moment thinking that perhaps it is only the people getting great fuel economy driving on freeways who are posting their figures.

hmm~ what kinda fuel do u fill up with? 91, 95 or 98?

i filled up with 91 (normal unleaded) once and i got around 10.8 to 11L/100km on highway

but now i fill up with 98 (premium) i get 9.5 to 9.9 highway.

hmm 14 to 15 seems quite alot. maybe its the type of fuel ur using?

Edited by ZZR88

i filled up with 91 (normal unleaded) once and i got around 10.8 to 11L/100km on highway

Fill up with ordinary unleaded RON91.

After all, the ADR fuel economy figures are tested using RON 91 petrol.

Fill up with ordinary unleaded RON91.

After all, the ADR fuel economy figures are tested using RON 91 petrol.

I full up with Vortex98 and get around 9.8/100 mixture of a little highway and mostly stop start traffic.

My tank gets me 600km and still has usually 10 litres to spare. Should be able to get 650 no probs.

If you are heavy on the acclerator you will see your consumption rise rapidly. The Aurion is a heavy car. I generally don't push it during day to day driving.

I've done about 6000km and I noticed that the fuel economy actually gets better with time. I started out doing around 12L/100km using normal Shell unleaded on the first tank.

Then I switched to Shell Premium unleaded which gave a significant improvement since. I am currently doing about 575km (when range reaches Zero) and that fills up about 55L of fuel. Working that out equals about 9.6L/100km. This is doing about 30mins of 100km/h, 20mins of 80km/h and the rest 15mins residential speeds.

B)

I drive 50-50 freeway/bumper to bumper traffic and average around 10.5 litres per 100k on 91 RON.

Using 95 RON would lower this to around the low 10s.

Things to check:

- Tyre pressure. Should be around 32-33 psi

- Check tyre alignment/balancing.

- How you drive it. Being heavy on the accelerator especially on peak hour would see your fuel consumption increase rapidly.

- How do you calculate your fuel consumption? Maybe the trip computer is incorrect.

- Extra load in the car (as mentioned earlier)

- Roof racks?

It all comes down to the average speed in those 20 min trips. if its less than 20kmh then the economy is going to be bad for sure 14L/100km. 20 min bumper to bumper stop start trips is never going to get the 9.9l/100km claim is it? i can see 8.5l/100km on the freeway say gong sydney to penrith but going from sydney to chatswood daily in peak hour? well 12-14l/100km is what you might expect. This is where the 4cyl camry will do better on fuel than the Aurion

I drive 50-50 freeway/bumper to bumper traffic and average around 10.5 litres per 100k on 91 RON.

Using 95 RON would lower this to around the low 10s.

Things to check:

- Tyre pressure. Should be around 32-33 psi

- Check tyre alignment/balancing.

- How you drive it. Being heavy on the accelerator especially on peak hour would see your fuel consumption increase rapidly.

- How do you calculate your fuel consumption? Maybe the trip computer is incorrect.

- Extra load in the car (as mentioned earlier)

- Roof racks?

Tyre pressure is probably higher than I should have it.

We have an ATX which has no trip computer or climate control although the air conditioning tends to be on a lot of the time. I would not expect it to be such a problem as the Aurion has a big engine that can handle this.

Nothing too heavy in the boot.

Calculate fuel economy manually. Fill up to the click, reset the trip meter. Next fill, note the litres to click, then divide by the kms and x 100.

I think if Shinsen is getting 9.6 doing his mixture of 100km/h and 80km/h driving then perhaps 14 isn't bad when it's all residential speed driving.

Edited by Blinkybill

• 5 months later...

they don't have the over drive button any more right?

they had it on the previous model camrys, corollas and avalons.

I think the shift to the dog legged selector gate eliminated it, or the automatics are just smarter. <_<

Is anyone out there getting poor fuel economy from the Aurion.

I do a mix of city and open road driving. I get better fuel consumption on the long trips than I do around town (as expected)

On trips, I regularly get 8.8 - 9.9l/100km. Around town usually averages out over the tank at 10.1 - 10.5l/100km

I don't drive crazy but I like to have fun so don't hold back when the circumstance allows.

Also I have 245 wide wheels so would have to say my consumption is exceptional.

With my Jaco caravan in tow I get 12.0 - 14l/100km

I hope you figure out what's going on with your car.

----------------

Edited by PaulMT

Mostly, you will find fuel economy is a function of not just the speed, but how much time is spent idling at lights.

The ratings that are referred to on the car itself are the combined figures, which refer to the average over a combination of driving in city, suburbs and highway speeds. If you spend most the time running slow or stopped, you will get poorer economy than at higher speeds on freeways.

Fuel economy you will find will be improved up until a point by increasing the octane, but usually much above 98 octane and economy will begin to reduce. I personally run 95 Octane Ethanol, and I average around 11.5, with mostly suburban and city driving. On freeways I have had it down to 6L/100k before. I am not really a lead-footed driver however, which does make a slight difference to economy.

If you are getting really poor economy, try different fuels and different driving habits, and don't rely solely on the trip computer as a fuel economy reading, as it may not always be accurate. Check the economy when you fill up at the bowser. You may also find that the ECU may require a reset, as sometimes they can start running the engine a little inefficiently.